Randomness

Beany

Re: Randomness

Post by Beany »

Yeah, the old man - you'll be utterly shocked to hear - looked at heli too, but as he was more of a flyer for pleasure, the whole 'five times as many things to monitor and be on top of to keep you in the air at any one time or you're almost guaranteed to die' thing put him off.

He stuck with radio control choppers instead.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

One of our emissions techs at work bought a house with a huge tree in the garden. So he chopped it down, built a plane from the wood, did every single job himself over about 15 years and archived the entire thing with photos he keeps under the Perspex top of his 20 foot workbench.

First picture was him with a massive great handsaw, last picture is someone in another plane taking a picture of his on his first flight. Awesome.

Dave!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Banal Vapid Platitudes
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

V8Granite wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:48 am One of our emissions techs at work bought a house with a huge tree in the garden. So he chopped it down, built a plane from the wood, did every single job himself over about 15 years and archived the entire thing with photos he keeps under the Perspex top of his 20 foot workbench.

First picture was him with a massive great handsaw, last picture is someone in another plane taking a picture of his on his first flight. Awesome.

Dave!
Massively cool... 8-)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:33 pm Image
Not far from me, Skipton Road, Steeton :D
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NGRhodes wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:15 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:33 pm Image
Not far from me, Skipton Road, Steeton :D
😂😂
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:51 am A thread...

Some more templates for you mik
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

8-) One of the most counterintuitive things I've ever seen. It's been around for a while but this is a good video of the working vehicle.

Faster down wind than the wind without tacking.
Around 18:00 is the attempt at explanation....
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

RobYob wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:14 am 8-) One of the most counterintuitive things I've ever seen. It's been around for a while but this is a good video of the working vehicle.

Faster down wind than the wind without tacking.
Around 18:00 is the attempt at explanation....
Watched that the other day - I don’t think his explanation was any good at all because he doesn’t really understand it. Even the graphics don’t help much; they just appear to show that at the same speed as the wind, the blade is in still air so it wouldn’t turn. And the references to it being a fan; oh dear.

Since I’ve sailed for years, I knew you can go faster than the wind on a broad reach. It isn’t particularly intuitive that you can sail into the wind (not directly, but at a surprisingly tight angle to it - known as beating). With a sail which stays relatively still it’s easier to intuit but even with the variable-pitch fan blades I’m struggling to see how the blades accelerate through the car doing the same speed as the wind.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

A lot of these are very good.

An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

That specific one is soo true. Right down to the stripped shirt. And no doubt wearing brown loafers.

He’d be a good shout to ask about poteen too. .. he wouldn’t have any but he’d “know a fella” :lol:

Edit - just spent 20 mins literally laughing out loud at that thread.
Last edited by dinny_g on Mon May 31, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
mik

Post by mik »

Matt just looks to me like a man who is very uncomfortable with the weight he has reached, sitting amongst the freak show of plastic surgery and Botox fans the others have become. :|
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:15 am
Watched that the other day - I don’t think his explanation was any good at all because he doesn’t really understand it. Even the graphics don’t help much; they just appear to show that at the same speed as the wind, the blade is in still air so it wouldn’t turn. And the references to it being a fan; oh dear.
That.

So here is a load of theory about how wind turbine blades act like a rotating version of a sail in tack.... might have been better talking about how awrofoils work in airflow to create lift (or downforce when inverted) but OK.

And then after 10mins of that, suggest that this isn’t how it works at all... this is a fan driven by the wheels. What what? :?
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:08 am A lot of these are very good.

Fucking excellent! :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:48 am
Jobbo wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:15 am
That.

So here is a load of theory about how wind turbine blades act like a rotating version of a sail in tack.... might have been better talking about how awrofoils work in airflow to create lift (or downforce when inverted) but OK.

And then after 10mins of that, suggest that this isn’t how it works at all... this is a fan driven by the wheels. What what? :?
I’ve read some more about this. The ‘fan’ description is apparently correct - the wheels push the blades round, which drives the car; so there is no moment to pass through where the blades are being pushed by still air relative to the vehicle. Because they aren’t being pushed.

So how does the vehicle get moving? I don’t think giving it a shove to start off is unfair; it still has to accelerate itself. If it is less aerodynamic backwards, the wind might provide enough force to overcome friction and get it rolling.

The counter-intuitive bit is how it accelerates - where does the energy come from?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:35 am The counter-intuitive bit is how it accelerates - where does the energy come from?
Very much this, it does make my head hurt. I've "understood" it wrong for a long time.

So I guess fundamentally the energy balance is how much is harvested from the wheel compared to the efficiency of the aerofoils on the fan.

Once plain old drag gets the whole vehicle going and the wheel starts harvesting energy then it will keep accelerating until the energies are balanced.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Impressive!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Very! That was amazing to see. I liked how it completely changes the experience.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away