Randomness

Beany

Re: Randomness

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:45 pm I really don’t know much about the subject, but when he started talking about the age of the ammo and not having any idea how it had been stored etc etc..... 🤔 😬
I could go into it, but it'd be (even more of) an essay.

Getting old military surplus stuff is generally pretty safe - IE old AK ammo from russian satellite states, if you buy it by the tin/case, sealed, because those were cold war stockpiles and were stored in such a manner that if something kicked off then, say, Romania could rock and roll at the drop of a hat with a full arsenal of small arms.

The problem comes when you start getting into vintage or rare ammo, where it can be hard to source and you need to be pretty careful. So, for example, getting ammo for a 1950s Czech automatic pistol in a weird calibre that was never approved for military use would be more risky than getting good old 50cal BMG that everyone's been using in their light machine guns for near a century.

The 50cal SLAP rounds he used are really pretty rare, and are interesting from an engineering standpoint, but demonstrating them is fairly pointless; the US Military dropped them because they weren't really any more effective than boggo 50BMG, and they had a nasty habit of blowing guns up. But with 20/20 hindsight, given that he only had a dozen or so of them as far as I'm aware, he really should have reloaded them by hand to whatever the military spec was before firing - or got someone who could hand load them do that for him.

The lack of provenance is part of the problem, the fact these are rounds that are notorious for causing barrel blockages is the other. The two together really should have caused alarm bells to ring, and I bet they will now, for him and for others who are interested in old, weird ammunition.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Anyone else concerned by how knowledgeable Beany is on this???😳

Anyone???😉😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Beany

Post by Beany »

It's (genuinely) more an interest in the engineering and background to firearms - seeing how designs came around and evolved and the like, rather than a burning desire to shoot up the office.

You know, on most days....

Forgotten Weapons (for a quick mix of historical and some modern stuff), C&Rsenal (for more long form and complete histories of mostly WW1 stuff) and Taofledermaus (for shenanigans with shotgun loads) are worth a look.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I used to be obsessed with the design and specs of firearms and military gear before getting interested in cars. My lefty/hippy/green parents must've wondered what the hell was going on. :lol:

It'd be a terribly depressing job to do though, a mate of mine did a stint with an arms manufacturer, they had tables of optimised ball bearing size for required injury (not death, you want to maim not kill remember).

I occasionally look at the speculative Boom table just see where relatavistic veolocities get you, check out 29kt from 1gram at 90c...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, firearms is definitely one of my interests/hobbies that I'd not want to develop into a job. I've seen interesting jobs at places like BAE Systems but I think I'd get really rather despondent really rather quickly.

I mean, you'll see people argue that just by existing in a western capitalist society, you're part of the problem of kids in the middle east getting blown up in a sort of vague and wishy washy way and we should all feel bad about that, etc.

You start contributing to or managing, say, BAE Systems IT projects, and you're much closer to being a far more genuine, real and rather less vague and wishywashy part of the problem of kids in the middle east getting blown up.

Ho hum.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

mik wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:39 pm Image
:lol:

The more he explains, the more nervous I get... :shock:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:02 pm
mik wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:43 pm Jeezus fuck :shock:

VERY lucky to be alive

If you are very impatient (YIC) you can skip to 4m20s, but ai recommend you don’t as the start sets the scene of what he is up to.....

Guns be dangerous :?
Guns can be dangerous, especially if you
Buy the cheapest .50cal rifle in the world
Buy ammo that was notorious for blowing military machines guns up (the sabot on the ammo can break up in the barrel, big boom has nowhere to go but out the back of the gun)
Buy that ammo piecemeal rather than by lot - so no consistency round to round

General consensus of the Online Armchair Firearms Forensics seems to be either:

Sabot jam = big bang that the gun could be reasonably be expected to handle, but because the big bang stayed at the back of the barrel, rather than leaving the end of it after the round left it (because bits of sabot are blocking it) the bang never leaves, blowing the back out of it of the gun. Just dropping the barrel in mud and not clearing it out can cause that, it doesn't take much.

Badly handloaded round = bigger bang than the gun could be reasonably expected to handle regardless, blowing the back out of the gun. Apparently quite easy if you use the wrong powder by accident.

Either way, with hindsight, accident waiting to happen, but hindsight is 20/20 and all that. Luckily for him it sounds like he'll have his vision back after he's healed up.
All that spaffle means SFA Beany old boy. What it ultimately comes down to is that it was God's plan for him to have that accident and it was God who saved him. What a cunt! (Just for clarity, that could both he or his God or both)

Shame those surgeons wasted all that time in Uni 😂😂

Morons with .50cal firearms. No wonder America is fucked up.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, the constant references to God and how all the good things were thanks to Him (luck, the surgery, etc) did rather grate with me, but as he had recently had a quarter kilo of steel slammed into his face at a rather scary pace, I decided not to dig into that particular point.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m surprised that 1kg of gasoline is more potent than 1kg of tnt, C4 or even an anti tank mine.

My car can destroy a whole army with that logic
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hitler kitten is questioning your knowledge of firearms.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mito Man wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:57 pm I’m surprised that 1kg of gasoline is more potent than 1kg of tnt, C4 or even an anti tank mine.

My car can destroy a whole army with that logic
True, it's a bit of an eye opener. Most people's exposure is it being burned either in tiny quantities at stoichiometric ratio or way way way too rich.

Weaponised fuel-air explosive is quite a scary beast.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Simon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:12 pm
Hitler kitten...

Kitler.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:41 pm Yeah, the constant references to God and how all the good things were thanks to Him (luck, the surgery, etc) did rather grate with me, but as he had recently had a quarter kilo of steel slammed into his face at a rather scary pace, I decided not to dig into that particular point.
It was a horrific incident and he was very lucky to survive but thanks to his Dad, his medical training and first class medical care he did.

You're more compassionate than I imagined 😁
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Simon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:12 pm
Hitler kitten is questioning your knowledge of firearms.
That's not Hitler Kitteh. That's "White cock and balls on his face" kitteh. I'm concerned why Mik has access to pictures of this nature.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:21 pm That's not Hitler Kitteh. That's "White cock and balls on his face" kitteh. I'm concerned why Mik has access to pictures of this nature.
Well, who amongst us can say they haven't googled white cock on grey pussy.
mik

Post by mik »

Kittow3d.

(C) @Maurice
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:26 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:21 pm That's not Hitler Kitteh. That's "White cock and balls on his face" kitteh. I'm concerned why Mik has access to pictures of this nature.
Well, who amongst us can say they haven't googled white cock on grey pussy.
Not this week, so far!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik

Post by mik »