Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Randomness

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

:lol: That is amazing.

Kudos to the sellers for spotting that market. I bet they laugh their bollocks off everyday at the negative reviews whilst watching the cash roll in 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

mik

Post by mik »

I have done this with a Eurasian Eagle Owl - with a 185cm wing span.

It was impressive 8-)

This Sea Eagle appears to have something like a 2.5m wingspan though. :shock:

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A mate of mine has 3 Sea Eagles nesting on an Island about 400 yards of his property...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Extremely 8-)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

They feed at first and last light in the same run of shallows. Regular as clockwork.

I got to within 5 yards of one perched on rock in the bullrushes by just drifting in silently in in a Sea Kayak..

The spectacle of it taking off and watching it soar away from directly underneath will stay with me forever...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Eagles are fockin' heavy:

ISTR that this may have been a Sea Eagle but it was a bloody long time ago now and I can't remember. It was fine on landing - it's when they push off to take to the air again that you really feel it!
mik

Post by mik »

Awesome Mike 😎

I am no expert but that looks more like a Goldie than a Sea Eagle. Only fractionally smaller though.

I held a smaller (around 170cm wingspan) Steppe Eagle on an outstretched arm (it didn’t know me so it would not allow me to bring my elbow into my body like it’s handler was able to). After about 90secs my shoulder was shaking uncontrollably and I wanted that big bugger OfF. It was like a pathetic version of a Worlds Strongest Man event :lol:

We get a lot of Buzzards round the house, owls at night, and the occasional Hen Harrier, and Sparrow Hawk. Peregrines live very nearby but yet to see one from the house.

Birds Of Pret are epic.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 pm Awesome Mike 😎

I am no expert but that looks more like a Goldie than a Sea Eagle. Only fractionally smaller though.

I held a smaller (around 170cm wingspan) Steppe Eagle on an outstretched arm (it didn’t know me so it would not allow me to bring my elbow into my body like it’s handler was able to). After about 90secs my shoulder was shaking uncontrollably and I wanted that big bugger OfF. It was like a pathetic version of a Worlds Strongest Man event :lol:

We get a lot of Buzzards round the house, owls at night, and the occasional Hen Harrier, and Sparrow Hawk. Peregrines live very nearby but yet to see one from the house.

Birds Of Pret are epic.
Yeah I wasn't convinced my memory was right there. In fact now I think ISTR that the Sea Eagle was having a day off that day as she'd been a bit naughty and briefly escaped earlier in the week. :lol:

FPMSL at the arm shake - deffo had that. Just grit your teeth and keep smiling 'cos everyone's looking at you. And yes, the WSM analogy is spot on :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Why was I not previously aware of this musicality?

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 pm
Birds Of Pret are epic.
Have you taken to observing women working in the food services industry? It might look odd if you're loitering outside shops with binoculars...
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Sorry - it was a Freudian Slap.
mik

Post by mik »

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:58 am
Dark choccy version for me pls. But then I also like my dark chocolate caramel wafers refridgerated - not sure the wife would be too happy if I had an advent calendar in there.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Cold caramel wafers are wrong. You don't get the chew.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’d have to replace that tea cake every day 😂
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:10 am Cold caramel wafers are wrong. You don't get the chew.
What Zed said. My wife likes to put chocolate in the fridge but that comes from 7 years of living in Texas. Utterly ruins any caramel stickiness.
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:58 am I’d have to replace that tea cake every day 😂
Ah - you need this version

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:08 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:10 am Cold caramel wafers are wrong. You don't get the chew.
What Zed said. My wife likes to put chocolate in the fridge but that comes from 7 years of living in Texas. Utterly ruins any caramel stickiness.
It doesn't actually. Well at least not the Tunnocks variety, ime - we don't tend to eat any other chocolate that has anything in it like caramel etc. That first bite of the Tunnocks will snap, yes, but then it becomes immediately chewy. Most subsequent bites are chewy. Dark chocolate remains cold and tasty. Win all round 8-)