Hire Harry's boat

mik

Hire Harry's boat

Post by mik »

As posted on twitter. I didn't realise he chartered it out.

CLICKS

Only drinks 350l of fuel per hour. Whats stopping you? 8-)
Simon

Re: Hire Harry's boat

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Will Harry be on the boat?

Let's see who gets that one.....
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:28 am Will Harry be on the boat?

I thought it was Long Good Friday, but found this: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0280779/ which sounds far more up your street :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Does fiberglass float? I'd prefer it to be made of fibreglass or glassfibre.

Having not chartered a luxury yacht (pronounced mangrove), I had to look up APA. It's 'Advance Provisioning Allowance', usually 30-35% of the daily charter fee, and is a deposit against the cost of fuel, food, drink etc consumed. So ~€3000+VAT in low season. Imagine what it would cost to run if you didn't charter it out.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Imagine all the better things you could do with the cash!

My grandfather had one of these that he moored in Chelsea Harbour which I stayed on a couples of times - could never see the point to be honest.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I like boats, but I'd always want one with a mast. Not a gin palace.

ETA: but not for canals - I'd have a steel hull in preference to fibreglass though.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:28 am Will Harry be on the boat?

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

took a bit of time but gotcha Nuttinnew... very clever... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Does the APA provision allow for non stop motorboating sessions?
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:15 am Does the APA provision allow for non stop motorboating sessions?
You want to motorboat Harry?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:15 am Does the APA provision allow for non stop motorboating sessions?
Why do you think the interior surfaces on these boats are covered in wipe down white vinyl?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

£3000 for the day split between a few mates isn't too bad.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Banal Vapid Platitudes
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Fiberglass is the American spelling Jobbo, so floats just fine. 😉 Sailing is fun for a few hours and they look pretty, but it gets pretty tiring quite quickly travelling at a few knots at some stupid angle trying to get somewhere. For example, say you had a boat in Palma, Mallorca; you could sail all day and still be in Palma bay that evening - lovely once, but a change of scenery would be great next time! Do that in a motorboat, and you could have lunch in Andratx, moor up for the night in Soller and travel around to Pollença the next.

GG, waste of cash? Really? If all you had was £300k maybe, but I think Harry’s garage shows he has a bit more to spend. People can spend their own money however they see fit and, as long as they get enjoyment out of it, I can’t see how it’s a waste of cash. I guess you either enjoy boating or you don’t. 🤷‍♂️

From the article I read, and it’s pretty common with boats of this size, people tend to rent out their boats when they’re either too busy or when it’s peak season eg. Harry rents his out for the whole month of August and then enjoys it himself in September when the season has died down, but the weather is still lovely. The fact that renting it out for a month pays his annual mooring fees/ maintenance etc must make it particularly sweet.. 😁
Cheers,

Ian
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Agree with every word.
GG.

Post by GG. »

IanF wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:55 am
GG, waste of cash? Really? If all you had was £300k maybe, but I think Harry’s garage shows he has a bit more to spend. People can spend their own money however they see fit and, as long as they get enjoyment out of it, I can’t see how it’s a waste of cash. I guess you either enjoy boating or you don’t.
I wasn't talking about Harry though - he has the wherewithal to buy it and as you've quite rightly said he can get recoup his maintainance and moorage in a month renting out and as we know, boats depreciate remarkably slowly.

My comments were aimed at spending €3,000 on renting one for a day. I can see the appeal in your scenario of sailing it round the island and sleeping overnight in it to sample several places in short succession - but then you're not talking about €3,000 as that is one day's hire. Say you then charter it for three days, that's then the best part of €10k + VAT + ARA. I can think of many better ways to spend that cash. Possibly if you're less misanthropic than me you could shack up with two other couples making it only €1,000 a night per couple but even a 61 footer is going to feel quite claustrophobic with 6 on board IMO.

Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike boats. I had a fantastic time on junks in Hong Kong when I lived there. Travelling out to the islands in the South China sea to eat fresh seafood and sailing back home under the stars... but they were owned by the law firm I worked for then and therefore totally free :D 8-)

TL;DR - I get buying and hospitality. Private rental (particularly with elevated prices on the shores of the Med) not so much.
Last edited by GG. on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You're not overthinking this at all, so that's good.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm not quite sure how that's overthinking it! We're talking about chartering Harry's boat and I just think its crap value for money. Prompted me to have a flick through my old photos and reminisce though.

This was the firms junk and the wife of the boat "boy" (top marks for patronising ex-pat terminology give they were in their 60s), mei mei, picking us up from Po Toi:

Sailing back:

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I don't really get the point you're making.