iPhone 6S - Charging issue...

dinny_g

Re: iPhone 6S - Charging issue...

Post by dinny_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:25 pm Did they provide a solution that you failed to accept on those occasions, too?
No - they provided a solution on each occasion that did not solve the problem at all.

And at no point did they say "OK, recognise the problem - seen it before. Do this...". They are speculating and guessing at a solution. They're latest "Advice / solution / guess" (delete as necessary) is to format the phone, DO NOT use any current back-up on iTunes and start again as a brand new phone. This is a relatively draconian measure I'd like to avoid.

However, since there doesn't appear to be any similar experience from any of the many iPhone users on here, I'm going to go ahead and try this, followed by the battery replacement option before I give up.

Edit - oh and you're right - it should be in Tech - I just wanted a quicker response.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Backup your phone.... Wipe it and set it up as a new phone.... See if issue is still there.

If issue is gone, you can either restore your backup and see if that works (depends where the software issue is). Or just reinstall apps and content which is a PITA but that's life.

If issue remains after a fresh setup, go back to Apple and get them to do their thing. Which will probably either be a new battery or a replacement refurb phone.

Or drop down the toilet and claim on your phone insurance.
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Contact cleaner.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Have you considered adding fluff so it behaves more like everyone else’s?. Only £25 for 10g from the Apple store (probably).
Marv

Post by Marv »

mik wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:02 pm Have you considered adding fluff so it behaves more like everyone else’s?. Only £25 for 10g from the Apple store (probably).
Are you saying he needs a fluffer?
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Marv wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:44 pm
mik wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:02 pm Have you considered adding fluff so it behaves more like everyone else’s?. Only £25 for 10g from the Apple store (probably).
Are you saying he needs a fluffer?
It’s a kind offer Marv - let’s see if he takes you up on it. 8-)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

To be fair, they did issue a battery recall on the 6s ( but didn't tell anyone about it ) so it could be some sort of weird battery related issue.

Mine is eligible for the recall but it's a pain in the arse having to back everything up, book an appointment then have to take time out to go to a store. Going to have to do something soon as it'll suddenly drop 40% in 10mins of 4g browsing.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Contact cleaner.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I feel like Simon is trying to tell us something.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

...but I’m not sure what?

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

If dirty contacts are the problem, delete them.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:38 pm If dirty contacts are the problem, delete them.
Those are the contacts you don't delete. :roll:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:42 am
nuttinnew wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:38 pm If dirty contacts are the problem, delete them.
Those are the contacts you don't delete. :roll:

I didn't say forget them, no booty call with a flat battery though.
Simon

Post by Simon »

What was the outcome of this?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

New battery - job jobbed.

Wipe and re-install didn’t really work - it charged off a power pack after that but still not mains etc.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:24 pm New battery - job jobbed.

Wipe and re-install didn’t really work - it charged off a power pack after that but still not mains etc.
Why didn’t they suggest that sooner? 🤔
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Richard

Post by Richard »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:17 pm
dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:24 pm New battery - job jobbed.

Why didn’t they suggest that sooner? 🤔
You’d have thought that as experts in the field of iPhones that the Genius guys would have suggested this almost immediately. Maybe run a few checks to see if a no-cost fix could have worked first, especially if the customer seemed unwilling to pay the huge £29 charge for a battery replacement ...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've just ordered a battery with few tools to have a go at changing mine on my 6s myself. I know it's only £29, but still a faff to have to go and get it done.

If that goes ok I've got a speaker to replace on the mrs' 7. Apparently apple wont do repairs like that, the only option is a replacement phone at £450. I'd have thought you'd have a fairly good case on a 'fit for purpose' claim as imho 18 months isn't really an acceptable life span for a well cared for £700 device, but meh, not worth the effort for £4 and a bit of diy, and even if I destroy it in the process it's only an extra £4 on top of the £450 it would cost if I don't have a go.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’ve changed various parts on a 6 - screen, battery, home button, dock. It’s pretty simple so long as you carefully lay out what you take off - but the quality of some of the spares you can buy is definitely “varied”.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

iPhone X glass back replacement works out at £650, iirc as they have to replace the phone.
Middle-aged Dirtbag