iPhone 6S - Charging issue...

dinny_g

Re: iPhone 6S - Charging issue...

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 pm Are you sure you actually bought the phone in the first place, check if they actually took the deposit.
:lol:

@ Simon - fair shout, worth a try.

Thing is, I’m due an upgrade so will probably treat myself to a decent 8 or X but when I upgrade, this 128 GB 6S will be cleared of all non essential data and turned into an iPod. I’d really like to clear up this charging snafu as while charging Monday to Friday isn’t an issue, weekends and holidays would be a pain.

Don’t fancy taking my HP and Docking Station to Spain... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If only you could transfer your music to your future new phone. Shame life is so cruel that it is denying you from doing that.
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Just take out the microSD card with all your media on and conveniently insert it into the new phon...............oh yeah, I remember now :lol:
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

Just buy a decent Android phone. Job jobbed.

I have never, in nearly 30 years of mobile phone ownership had a problem with charging cos of fluff or anything else for that matter. Obvs Android, Apple phone were not around back in the day but in our small office these days where I am the only Android user the problems with Apple phone hardware are pretty much a daily occurrence*

*Mainly involves women
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:08 pm it'll take a age to re-download 100GB of music)

Get a faster internet connection.
HTH.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Jezh wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:42 pm Just buy a decent Android phone. Job jobbed.

I have never, in nearly 30 years of mobile phone ownership had a problem with charging cos of fluff or anything else for that matter. Obvs Android, Apple phone were not around back in the day but in our small office these days where I am the only Android user the problems with Apple phone hardware are pretty much a daily occurrence*

*Mainly involves women
In the interests of balance my last Wileyfox phone and my Moto 4g both stopped charging causing me to replace them. Only £120 odd to replace when you've got a budget Android phone tho...
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Jezh wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:42 pm in our small office these days where I am the only Android user the problems with Apple phone hardware are pretty much a daily occurrence*
You don't have a strong grasp on the governing mechanics of statistics, do you :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:53 am
Jezh wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:42 pm in our small office these days where I am the only Android user the problems with Apple phone hardware are pretty much a daily occurrence*
You don't have a strong grasp on the governing mechanics of statistics, do you :lol:
Even if it were true, which it isn’t. Source: run a mixed fleet of Android and iPhones at work of ~150 and hardware problems are almost non-existent regardless of manufacturer.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

In our small household where one of us used to use android but we now both use iPhone, one of us had a charging problem caused by fluff in the hole and the other had problems with a faulty screen.

One of us also had problems with an android phone battery discharging after they dropped it in a puddle.

Lastly one of us is a woman.

That proves that.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:08 pmThe genius is suggesting a new battery (why ? It charges and hold a charge and the diagnostic has it running at 89%) or doing a full restore as a brand new phone (which I don't want to try unless I have to as it'll take a age to re-download 100GB of music)

anyone come across similar - any suggestions ?

It can't be a co-incidence that the only places that seem to work are places where the current will be balanced out across several outputs
Why don't you just try a restore? The "restore from iCloud backup" is now reliable and pretty speedy - nothing at all like the dumpster fire it used to be.

Then a new battery might be trying if that's what they're recommending? I guess because all of your symptoms suggests there's something screwy going on with your battery and your docking station thingy is obviously the exception which doesn't prove the rule. Or does. Either way, I think its just mudding the water so to speak.
Cheers,

Mike.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I mean you could accept the advice of someone who works for Apple diagnosing issues all day every day, using their in house tools developed precisely to try to understand what's going on, or you could seek the advice of a group of strangers on the internet, many of whom don't even work in IT, to diagnose the issue off some vague description you've given without anyone laying hands on the device. Either/or, really. It's up to you.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 am I mean you could accept the advice of someone who works for Apple diagnosing issues all day every day, using their in house tools developed precisely to try to understand what's going on, or you could seek the advice of a group of strangers on the internet, many of whom don't even work in IT, to diagnose the issue off some vague description you've given without anyone laying hands on the device. Either/or, really. It's up to you.
I'll be honest Rev, I've sought the advice of the Apple folk (who diagnose problems every day) twice now and on both occasions, despite them being certain to have solved the problem, they haven't - so my confidence that they (in the MK Store) really understand My specific problem is eroding fast.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:53 am
Haha, probably not was half asleep when I posted.

However, at home the OH, son and I all have Android devices, daughter has to have latest iPhone gadget guess which one causes the only problems. I don't honestly think that is because she is female either, just being flippant.
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Every 48 months I think I'm going to remove the Apple shackles and look at the Android range. It's all big talk though as I swerve back to an iPhone without even glancing at a Samsung or Sony every time. I'm just not strong enough :(
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

240PP wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 am Every 48 months I think I'm going to remove the Apple shackles and look at the Android range. It's all big talk though as I swerve back to an iPhone without even glancing at a Samsung or Sony every time. I'm just not strong enough :(
This. Am due an upgrade again next month, and I know the pull of the X, for whatever reason, will be too strong to ignore.

Never heard of fluff preventing a 'phone charging though. Bizarre.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Non conductive foreign object prevents conduction of electricity. WHODATHUNKIT
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Have you bought any contact cleaner yet?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 am I mean you could accept the advice of someone who works for Apple diagnosing issues all day every day, using their in house tools developed precisely to try to understand what's going on, or you could seek the advice of a group of strangers on the internet, many of whom don't even work in IT, to diagnose the issue off some vague description you've given without anyone laying hands on the device. Either/or, really. It's up to you.
I'll be honest Rev, I've sought the advice of the Apple folk (who diagnose problems every day) twice now and on both occasions, despite them being certain to have solved the problem, they haven't - so my confidence that they (in the MK Store) really understand My specific problem is eroding fast.
Did they provide a solution that you failed to accept on those occasions, too?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Apple tech people are still just tech people who have to follow scripts, run certain tests in a certain order to diagnose faults in order to offer suggestions and/or replacements Its just the same as IT always has been, except now, nearly every adult has an incredibly complex, powerful handheld device which they use every single day to do lots of stuff. It was bad enough dealing with end users of consumer tech 20 years ago, I can't imagine how bad it is now the new sense of entitlement.

Take the battery... Most people I know still compare a battery to a fuel tank in a car. But that analogy just doesn't work anymore with all the tech that's in batteries and all the clever things the hardware & software is doing to try and maximise performance and efficiency. Apple screwed up with their phone throttling thing - it was well intentioned but terribly managed. And even after they tried to explain it, most people either don't care or don't understand which is why there's now a simple battery health status.

I was in the Apple Store getting a pair of headphones swapped out at the height of the battery thing and the tables were full of people wanting battery replacements because their battery performance was terrible and they'd heard how Apple had stiff them. So their tech guys would run the normal tests, often showing the battery was "healthy" and then have to go in to settings and show people what had been using their battery most over the last day, how they could improve it etc and why there's nothing wrong with their battery. But guess what, people still wanted a new battery.

And yeah, the fluff thing is a thing. But that's simple physics rather than a design flaw.
Cheers,

Mike.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

And this should be i the Tech section, not General. If I was a mod... ;)
Middle-aged Dirtbag