Pizza ovens

Foz

Pizza ovens

Post by Foz »

Everyone loves a pizza obviously!

I was looking at the uuni pellet ovens and was keen til I discovered after 10mimutes you have circa 120 second cooking window. :|

I have also had a challenging experience trying to get a homebuilt traditional one hot enough in a Scottish Winter after many hours of trying/stoking etc

Being able to replicate a super thin base Italian pizza at home is appealing but would need to be able to cook a few.

Anyone any experiences!?
Richard

Re: Pizza ovens

Post by Richard »

Pizza stone in your BBQ
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Foz wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:41 am
I was looking at the uuni pellet ovens and was keen til I discovered after 10mimutes you have circa 120 second cooking window. :|
That sucks - I was looking at them...

A mate (who’s a chef) has one of these...

https://www.dobbies.com/products/outdoo ... coal-3500/

Comes with a pizza stone insert- it’s brilliant as a BBQ (you can raise and lower the coals rack) and I’ve no doubt it would be excellent as a pizza oven, burning some nice wood. Thermostat will help.

I’be decided against a new Webber and an going to get one. Will report on pizza performance in due course...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dan

Post by dan »

Foz wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:41 am Everyone loves a pizza obviously!

I have also had a challenging experience trying to get a homebuilt traditional one hot enough in a Scottish Winter after many hours of trying/stoking etc

Being able to replicate a super thin base Italian pizza at home is appealing but would need to be able to cook a few.

Anyone any experiences!?
Uuni oven is fantastic, I use mine all the time. Not sure what you're saying about the 120 second cooking window?
Foz

Post by Foz »

I read some reviews that were saying you really only had about a 2 min window to cook pizzas as it loses the heat so fast, is that not right?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

All this faff for cheese on toast.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

We looked in Dobbies, then bought an almost identical one off ebay for £140. I dont see them on tgere ang more though.

As we do it to have fun with friends and their sprogs as opposed to running a pizza restaurant - its great. 8-) needs thought to ensure you create heat in the oven - not just under the stone (which provides blackened bases with uncooked toppings, but if you can do that thinking - yummy pizza in about 2 mins.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-P ... r/p/251768

Maybe something like this? I’ve not tried one though
Cheers,

Ian
dan

Post by dan »

Foz wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:09 am I read some reviews that were saying you really only had about a 2 min window to cook pizzas as it loses the heat so fast, is that not right?
Nope, load of nonsense.

It takes about ten minutes to get fully up to temp, as long as you keep the hopper topped up with pellets it’ll keep running flat out. The pizzas are done in about 2 minutes, which may be what the reviews were getting at.
Foz

Post by Foz »

dan wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:41 pm
Foz wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:09 am I read some reviews that were saying you really only had about a 2 min window to cook pizzas as it loses the heat so fast, is that not right?
Nope, load of nonsense.

It takes about ten minutes to get fully up to temp, as long as you keep the hopper topped up with pellets it’ll keep running flat out. The pizzas are done in about 2 minutes, which may be what the reviews were getting at.
Ok thanks!
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Uuni is great for the money. The gas burner makes it foolproof, and much easier if you're making as well as cooking, but you can get great results with the pellets, you need to stay on top of keeping the hopper full.

If you're cooking pizzas back to back you do notice some drop in temperature after several of them because it's a fairly small stone - but you just allow a few minutes for it to get back up to temperature and you're good again. If you're cooking for a really long time (probably 2+ hours) then ash will fill up in the burner and you'll need to clear it and re-light it. You could make a *lot* of pizzas in that time though.

Perfect for doing a few pizzas for the family - mate spent a fortune on a huge garden oven and it's great for parties but takes so long to get going he rarely bothers any other time. We use our Uuni loads.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Anyone any experiences!?
I hate pizza!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:32 am

Anyone any experiences!?
I hate pizza!
Is it even possible to hate pizza? Its constituted of bread, tomato and extremely mild flavoured cheese.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Hating pizza is on a par with hating dolphins. Maybe he's Japanese or something.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There's some good advice in this PH thread https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... t=1595268 .

I don't have the outside space for a pizza oven but get pretty good results in the kitchen using the skillet method.
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Pizza stone in the oven has worked for me in the past but those aforementioned outdoor ovens do indeed look nice and shiny.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

GG. wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:38 am

Anyone any experiences!?
I hate pizza!
Is it even possible to hate pizza? Its constituted of bread, tomato and extremely mild flavoured cheese.
I hate tomatoes too, horrible slimy things.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:49 pm
GG. wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:38 am

I hate pizza!
I hate tomatoes too, horrible slimy things.
Yes but the tomato on pizza is passata - it's basically ketchup without the added palm sugar!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You can also get a different base if you don’t like tomatoes.
How about not having a sig at all?
Foz

Post by Foz »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:14 pm You can also get a different base if you don’t like tomatoes.
Garlic Bread!?