Bicyclist thread

KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Re: Bicyclist thread

Post by KiwiDave »

That looks quite smart! I've only ridden a few 27.5 and a few 29 bikes, it was a long hiatus before that and everything was 26" back then. The good 27.5 was a Santa Cruz Nomad and it felt a lot more flickable and playful than my 29" but I've never really known how much of that is the Nomad being an iconic bike, the fact mine is an EMTB and the Nomad isn't etc. so I don't hold too much water in my impressions.

The one thing I would say is on my Levo, tight switchbacks etc. are actually quite tricky to get round due to turning circle and wheelbase. So maybe watch those when you start riding this? The 29's do roll pretty damn well though.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

John wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:38 pm It has something called an Isospeed decoupler which allows the seat down tube to flex slightly as it isn't solidly fixed to the top tube.
Girvin want their elastomers back so they can banish them back to the 1990s suspension designs!
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

:lol:

I had a Girvin suspension stem on my first half decent bike. Along with Campagnolo grip shift. All fucking hateful!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I remember a lad at school had handlebar suspension which was a rod and piston, no real damping and also front suspension forks which were just a spring, it was a tricky ride.

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I always wanted a girvin flex stem, back when proper suspension forks were real high end.

My paperround wages couldn't afford either 😂
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My brother had a ProFlex 550 when it first came out (early 90’s?. Elastomer rear and flex stem front FTW!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Annoyingly the market has shifted from XC bikes at the lower end of the market to everything being trail biased now. I think i'll be in the market this year for a new bike and as the bulk of my riding is XC it needs to be an XC bike (I already have a decent Trail bike I am happy with). It seems the lowest end XC Race FS (want to go FS short travel from hardtail) bike is around £2300 which is about £800 over my top budget on CtoW. I'll keep looking and hope I can keep up an old season bike in budget.