WLTP (ND)

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

WLTP (ND)

Post by IanF »

So Porsche has stopped taking new car orders for the 911/718 until Autumn and no Cayenne/Macan until early ‘19. Now VW have now said they are halting some production lines until Q3. BMW have cancelled M3 production for the same reason.

I know WLTP is necessary (and an improvement) but have they forced through the change in too short a timescale? I know the manufacturers would use all the time given, so if you gave them 3 more years they’d use it, but I find it hard to comprehend that is what they are doing in this case.

The issues seem to be; it takes 3 times as long to test each vehicle (and even 24/7 that takes time) plus, apparently, the powers that be still haven’t completed the requirements, and so the manufacturers are progressing as and when more info comes out. 🙄
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Re: WLTP (ND)

Post by Mito Man »

The petrol particulate filters robbing 20% of the power seems rather extreme.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:22 pm The petrol particulate filters robbing 20% of the power seems rather extreme.
Any examples of this David?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Latest one on this PH review https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-dri ... iven/38129

“Outside Europe this has been given a power boost to 382hp, but EU spec cars will come with a petrol particulate filter - yes, that's a thing now - limiting output to the 335hp of the M240i.”

Also I imagine they must sound quite silenced too in comparison with the non EU spec cars.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

OK, so 12% ish. I wonder if this is an artificial segmentation to make room for a proper M model in Europe? I know other manufacturers that have put GPF's on cars with no affected power output.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Other OEMs are managing to get stuff through - not easily by any stretch - but some of the Germans are struggling. They're not used to having things change this fast, they're used to stability and long term agreements which suit them so they're a bit fish out of water at the moment.

It's eye opening how much stuff goes on between the German OEMs and big German suppliers to make their life easier but they won't share the details with OEMs outside Germany.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Simon

Post by Simon »

It seems the Golf R is losing a bit of power, back to pre-facelift levels (link

The article says 3dr and manuals are being dropped, and only the 5dr will continue to exist. No mention of whether that affects the estate too...
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Volvo haven't got any issues with the new WLTP, it's the Germans with the biggest problem, some PSA models are affected and GM are keeping an eye on it. It makes me suspicious that there's been a fair bit more of foul play going on in Germany as they're the hardest hit by all this.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace