Elon Musk/Tesla

Simon

Re: Elon Musk/Tesla

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:31 am
Simon wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:53 am I work for a NASDAQ tech company that similarly had a vulture fund buy 5% or more of our stock at the end of last year. SEC announcements were made, emails were sent around. It's a bit unsettling really. I get Musk's point about the 'street' and how investors only seem to have an eye on the short term. Our quarterly all-hands meetings seem to have a large focus on EPS and the bottom line and that's all investors seem to care about from one quarter to the next, not how you've invented some widgety doo-dah that's gonna make you a billion dollars in a few years time.

I think the asia-pac countries are better than this, and you have to admire China for playing the extraordinarily long game in the world of global finance and company growth.
We're a recent-ish flotation and it changes the focus of the company: it's all about hitting your numbers. It gets frustrating when you can't get the money you want for investment in infrastructure because it would mean missing targets and thus having an impact on company value (and then patiently explaining that if the website falls over we don't have a business and we'll definitely miss our numbers)
:)

Interestingly enough, I think one of my team may have met you or one of your team a few months ago for a pitch. And I used your company as a whiteboard demo internally. :)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:28 am
Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:00 am It seems just a bit futile fighting against a country which has the biggest reserves of natural resources and thus can afford anything if they really want it.
They can afford it, but that doesn't make it a worthwhile business investment.
Isn't a Saudi interest investing in Tesla a bit like the Vatican investing in pushing secular education in the third world?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:44 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:31 am
Simon wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:53 am I work for a NASDAQ tech company that similarly had a vulture fund buy 5% or more of our stock at the end of last year. SEC announcements were made, emails were sent around. It's a bit unsettling really. I get Musk's point about the 'street' and how investors only seem to have an eye on the short term. Our quarterly all-hands meetings seem to have a large focus on EPS and the bottom line and that's all investors seem to care about from one quarter to the next, not how you've invented some widgety doo-dah that's gonna make you a billion dollars in a few years time.

I think the asia-pac countries are better than this, and you have to admire China for playing the extraordinarily long game in the world of global finance and company growth.
We're a recent-ish flotation and it changes the focus of the company: it's all about hitting your numbers. It gets frustrating when you can't get the money you want for investment in infrastructure because it would mean missing targets and thus having an impact on company value (and then patiently explaining that if the website falls over we don't have a business and we'll definitely miss our numbers)
:)

Interestingly enough, I think one of my team may have met you or one of your team a few months ago for a pitch. And I used your company as a whiteboard demo internally. :)
I admit nothing...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Marv

Post by Marv »

Oui, je suis un motard.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Meh! If he wants to buy the shares, he needs to offer more than 10% over the 12 month high...

I think Twitter is going to be seen as the worst SM invention of the 20th(21st?) Century... there are too many influential people who tweet before thinking.
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

IanF wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:22 pm I think Twitter is going to be seen as the worst SM invention of the 20th(21st?) Century... there are too many influential people who tweet before thinking.
Nah, twitter's great. If it exposes all the powerful dumbasses for what they are, all the better.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Marv wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:09 pm
Not uncommon for driving quickly through deep-ish standing water to cause that. https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1621114
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

So apparently Elon Musk was on acid when he started talking about Tesla short shorts over the weekend.

I was wondering whether he would go Howard Hughes or John McAfee when he completely loses his shit, I guess that's answered that question :lol:.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Always go John McAffee.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Simon

Post by Simon »

Good.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yep. Musk is a cunt for that.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

His defence lawyers put forward a pretty shoddy dismissal request too.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
_andy

Post by _andy »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:16 am Yep. Musk is a cunt.
Fixed.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

He seems intent on self destruction these days.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Travesty... :evil:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

His defence seems to be along the lines of him apologising and the fact he removed all the tweets meant he wasn’t that serious about the statement in the first place, so can we all just forget about this silly incident.

ETA $190m would seem to be a ridiculous amount of damages to be claiming, wonder if that got the jury’s back up a bit?
Simon

Post by Simon »

My twitter feed is such a better place to be since I stopped following that nobber.

I thought he was seeking 'unspecified damages'?