Elon Musk/Tesla

dinny_g

Re: Elon Musk/Tesla

Post by dinny_g »

240PP wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:29 am His defence seems to be along the lines of him apologising and the fact he removed all the tweets meant he wasn’t that serious about the statement in the first place, so can we all just forget about this silly incident.

ETA $190m would seem to be a ridiculous amount of damages to be claiming, wonder if that got the jury’s back up a bit?
Yeah looks that way but there are certain things, like Pedo or Rapist, that a delete and an apology shouldn’t be enough. Some of that WILL stick unfortunately, despite being untrue.

The “sue or true” tweet was terrible too.

Unsworths can’t be happy with his legal team.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I thought it was cut and dry. He made the tweets, he’s not denying it (because he can’t) so I assumed some sort of payment would be made.

‘Pedo guy’ was deemed a ‘playground insult’ and not an actual accusation. On its own, maybe, but with all the follow up tweets, I don’t think so.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Also I think he's suing him in the UK too? US case for the US, UK case for ROW?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Simon

Post by Simon »

Here's the tweet in question about the five points.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It would have been interesting even if he got reasonable damages, the precedent for online defamation would have opened the flood gates. Can imagine loads of those cringe US tv adverts with a lawyer advertising suing for online defamation :lol: But as it is you can just call anyone anything you want as long as you don’t name them.

Only odd thing that stood out for me was that the old chap was an advanced financial advisor on $25k a year. So not a very good one :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's a bonkers verdict, because if you remember the series of tweets he talks about why Unsworth moved out to 'that area' in the first place, and he also hired an investigator to dig dirt on him, finally goading him by saying 'sue me or it's true'.

I don't care if Tesla make good cars or not, I could never buy one in the future with that cunt* in charge.

*I'm allowed to say that as I don't identify the cunt in question. GFY, dickhead.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Oh, also 'LOL' at there being a famous lawyer on the jury who owned TWO Teslas, but NOT ONE of the Jurors followed him on Twatter. Yeah, of course.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah I’d also never drive a car where the founder is a rude cunt, I’d rather drive something German with a history of using slavery and supporting war crimes :lol:

Honestly the shit you read online sometimes...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

He was also suing him for an absurd amount, I bet if it was a few million quid he would have quietly paid up and no more would be heard,

But Elon is a dick, I find it amazing so many people are brainwashed by his 'brilliance' and can't see any of the smoke and mirrors fakery and bullshit he spouts.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:47 pm Yeah I’d also never drive a car where the founder is a rude cunt, I’d rather drive something German with a history of using slavery and supporting war crimes :lol:

Honestly the shit you read online sometimes...
But that's the point isn't it? 'history' whereas Twatface is here and now, hence my line about 'whilst he's in charge'.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t think the passing of time makes crimes any less horrendous.
Maybe if more people thought like you VAG and many other car companies would be no more though due to the emissions scandals they’ve recently pulled. Don’t know what’s worse, one guy calling someone a pedo or many millions of cars belching toxic fumes.
Simon

Post by Simon »

They're both bad. HTH.

But you can't go through life having nothing to do with anyone or anything that's ever done something wrong. All countries have a murky past. All of them. A lot of companies too. It's impossible to avoid it.

Musk's problem is that he IS Tesla. I can't think of any one person who you'd associate with their company more than Musk. He IS Tesla more than Apple is Tim Cook. And if you're gonna attach your name so closely to your brand then when your name is tarnished then people are gonna stay away.

Don't get me wrong, Tesla have some good products (though not always as good as the fanbois would have you believe), SpaceX is pretty cool and SolarCity is a good thing (when it's not burning down roofs). But Musk needs to stop drinking the koolaid and start behaving. Let's face it, this isn't the first time he's got into trouble of his Twitter postings.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

240PP wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:00 am I thought it was cut and dry. He made the tweets, he’s not denying it (because he can’t) so I assumed some sort of payment would be made.

‘Pedo guy’ was deemed a ‘playground insult’ and not an actual accusation. On its own, maybe, but with all the follow up tweets, I don’t think so.
I can't believe Musk won that, it seemed as cut & dry a case as you can possibly get. If that wasn't the exact definition of defamation in this day & age then I don't know what is.
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ascender wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:21 pm
240PP wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:00 am I thought it was cut and dry. He made the tweets, he’s not denying it (because he can’t) so I assumed some sort of payment would be made.

I can't believe Musk won that, it seemed as cut & dry a case as you can possibly get. If that wasn't the exact definition of defamation in this day & age then I don't know what is.
Hint. Billionaire.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:54 pm smoke and mirrors
Yes, but not like that.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

What’s the cost price of 12 brand new Teslas?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:48 pm
Ascender wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Hint. US Billionaire in US court vs foreigner.
EFA.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Maybe the fact he teamed up with that Polish guy to attack the London suicide vest stabby man made him look better?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Has anyone ever seen Musk and Broccers in the same room?
Middle-aged Dirtbag