The Weather Thread.

Mito Man

Re: The Weather Thread.

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:53 pm You can argue with whoever wrote the BBC article over it!
I haven’t read the BBC article - I’m correcting you, and if you quoted something inaccurate without understanding it, more fool you.
FWIW I still think I’m correct as is the BBC story, but I’m not a scientist so can’t take it further than that.
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I drove up and down the lane a few times to mulch the blown hedges and branches to stop there being mayhem tomorrow morning when all the townies come through for rush hour (you know, the ones who can’t reverse 10 metres and make you back up 1/4 mile to pass...). There is a small tree down further on but I’ve passed a message on to the Hilux warrior who will clear it at sunrise.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've got my battery chainsaw in the boot ready for tomorrow's 6am commute.

Well, really it's because my dad wants to borrow it, but might also get the chance to be a hero 😂
Cheers, Harry
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:25 pm I've got my battery chainsaw in the boot ready for tomorrow's 6am commute.

Well, really it's because my dad wants to borrow it, but might also get the chance to be a hero 😂
I would be useful as a force multiplier for a road rage incident too :lol:
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The Met Office is confusing me now. They’re forecasting 5°C and rain for the next few days (including overnight) but have also issued a yellow warning for snow and ice.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 am The Met Office is confusing me now. They’re forecasting 5°C and rain for the next few days (including overnight) but have also issued a yellow warning for snow and ice.
“Tomorrow you can expect the weather to be there. Yes we can confirm there will be weather”
Beany

Post by Beany »

Had a tree based DISASTER that prevented me from moving the car yesterday, but once I'd picked up the ten inch branch from ahead of the front wheel and deposited in next doors garden waste bin (wouldn't want to risk a puncture out of laziness) it was fine.

This morning it was SNOWMAGEDDON, for about a half a second till I used the wipers to clear the 1/4 of soft hail off the screen.

It has been pretty fucking breezy up here, but I'm on the 'right' side of the hill I'm on so it's not been a massive issue, seen some interesting pictures from elsewhere around the Yorkshire region of some rather unpleasant flooding though, looks pretty nasty out in the sticks.

There is snow forecast over the next couple of days, mind, which could be interesting. Although about the most interesting it could get is that I have to spend 30-45mins walking to work rather than pootling to the office in the car. And I should walk to work more often anyway....
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Damn, I had a bet over the weekend that we would see no snow this season. It hasn’t snowed in the SE yet and I reckon it will stay that way, feels like it’s hit close to 10 degrees every day!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Its snowing heavily now but can't see it lying due to the temp and how wet the ground is. Unfortunately I do need to go in to town later so can't wait for the 10mph self-enforced speed limit by people who have never seen snow before and are convinced they will spin in to the nearest ditch should they accelerate.

As to the temperature thing, it can be too cold for snow...
Cheers,

Mike.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gavin wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:37 pm You bunch of southern jessies! :D

After due consideration, git tae fuck [/received pronunciation].
I await your complaints of it being too hot when the temperature reaches double digits :D
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:03 am Damn, I had a bet over the weekend that we would see no snow this season. It hasn’t snowed in the SE yet and I reckon it will stay that way, feels like it’s hit close to 10 degrees every day!
Plenty of time for it, it's not Easter yet.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:40 pm Faster than the speed of sound.
This post is what I was correcting. For something to be going ‘faster than the speed of sound’ it has to be faster than sound would travel in that medium. There aren’t any passenger airliners capable of breaking the sound barrier currently, as far as I’m aware.

That’s because it’s not flying at a particular speed which is hard, it’s dealing with the standing waves created in air when going faster than the speed of sound. If there’s no sonic boom, it didn’t go ‘faster than the speed of sound’. The speed of sound is not a constant, it varies depending on the medium it’s measured in.

ETA: the BBC article refers to it as ‘subsonic’ before later referring to it as faster than the speed of sound. FFS.

My car is faster than the speed of sound, if you measure it in a flow of air going at 800mph the other way 😄
mik

Post by mik »

I’ve been on a US flight that flew faster than the speed of sound in terms of ground speed. (Where the speed of sound is considered to be 767mph).

Not airspeed unfortunately.

I made a point of jogging to the loo so I could honestly tel the sprogs I ran faster than the speed of sound....
Last edited by mik on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:11 pm
This post is what I was correcting. For something to be going ‘faster than the speed of sound’ it has to be faster than sound would travel in that medium. There aren’t any passenger airliners capable of breaking the sound barrier currently, as far as I’m aware.

That’s because it’s not flying at a particular speed which is hard, it’s dealing with the standing waves created in air when going faster than the speed of sound. If there’s no sonic boom, it didn’t go ‘faster than the speed of sound’. The speed of sound is not a constant, it varies depending on the medium it’s measured in.

ETA: the BBC article refers to it as ‘subsonic’ before later referring to it as faster than the speed of sound. FFS.

My car is faster than the speed of sound, if you measure it in a flow of air going at 800mph the other way 😄
Say I am travelling on a train which is going 1 mph below the speed of sound. I walk inside the carriage in the direction of travel at 2 mph. Am I going faster than the speed of sound or no?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:32 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:11 pm

Say I am travelling on a train which is going 1 mph below the speed of sound. I walk inside the carriage in the direction of travel at 2 mph. Am I going faster than the speed of sound or no?
No, because the carriage is a sealed space and your speed in relation to the air inside it is 2mph.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Another related topic for discussion; if storms are being named alphabetically to make them more memorable, why use a C that sounds like a K? :roll:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

The wind is really getting up now! Had loads of hailstones this afternoon too. The roads, paths and may garden were white over.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:14 pm
Gavin wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:37 pm You bunch of southern jessies! :D

After due consideration, git tae fuck [/received pronunciation].
I await your complaints of it being too hot when the temperature reaches double digits :D
wiv sna gin the day. :)

10 degrees is taps aff! :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's been pretty wild here since Saturday, gales and heavy rain mixed with snow showers. Standard Scottish weather :lol:

We're still getting a bit of snow this morning but nothing's lying as the ground is too wet.
An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

The sun is out here and it is snowing! :) Very much Scottish weather.