The Weather Thread.

integrale_evo

Re: The Weather Thread.

Post by integrale_evo »

Still snowing here, but also the really tiny bits. It’s the wind that’s been the main problem, drifting had been pretty bad in places. At least I’ve been able to justify the tyre swap now, I think I would have had a lot more trouble on some of the smaller lanes without them.

Rear lights and number plate were so caked when I arrived you couldn’t see them. Turns out leds don’t make much heat.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Yikes! Maybe slow down a bit?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Errr - what were they expecting to happen when a train came?!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Definitely walk away from the edge, but doesn't look like there's anywhere to go either, the snow sprays right across the platform.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ah, the old ones are the best.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Yes, old but good. That must have hurt quite a lot. Good to see stupid people getting rewarded.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I had a few cable ties in my jacket today so decided to attach my
iPhone to the grill. It looks banging in 4k on my phone but utterly poop on YouTube.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

All but the smallest roads were fine by 2pm, but I was getting a horrendous wheel wobble around 60mph. Assume it was all the snow I’d collected inside the wheels throwing them off balance.

Still plenty of ‘tards trundling along at 25mph with their rear fog lights on despite a bit of dirty slush in the centre of the lane being the only potential hazard.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:58 pm I had a few cable ties in my jacket today so decided to attach my
iPhone to the grill. It looks banging in 4k on my phone but utterly poop on YouTube.
If you can, upload it in 4k (or at least 1440p) - it'll apply the compression at that resolution, and it'll encode the contrasty details better.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I get no options when uploading via the Youtube app apart from naming the video and putting a description.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I did wonder if that would be the case...

Apparently if you go to the YouTube app, you can change the upload settings to 'highest quality' which will do it in 4k etc.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Thanks, found it hidden in the settings. Should be 4k next time.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Fuck me, I was looking forward to a quiet Friday doing my work, last day until the weekend, dog laying at my feet keeping them warm... then the bloody doorbell rings...

Stuck van driver asking for a shovel. The road at the bottom of the hill is blocked by snowdrifts and another Sainsbury’s van. I’m not gonna be a cunt so I take 2 and help him. Turns out it’s full of covid vaccines so it’s a fucking important delivery...
This is after an hour of shovelling and breaking ice - it started off about 50 metres further down the hill. The picture doesn’t show it but it’s a very steep hill - the type that would make Beany write a post about how steep it is :shock:
To further complicate matters, the Transit is on tyres which make Cup 2’s looks like full wets :roll:

Eventually my dad arrives to help and we get another customer
The farmer put up road closed signs either side of the road but at midnight I saw a Jeep Cherokee go past - I can only assume that this prick moved the signs out the way and didn’t replace them as they were no longer there :roll:

Anyway, as luck would have it I had some ballast ordered for my log cabin base so we used that to grit the entire road.
AO van got up fine but the AAH one was a right bastard due to slick tyres but after another hour of shovelling and lots more ballast that went too. 4 hours later.

Didn’t try towing with the Defender as it’s so slick that I only just about make it up by carrying momentum. I stopped half way last night as a car was coming towards me and I basically slid uncontrolled the whole way down which required a change of underwear :shock:

Also I wish to point out that hand gel, blisters and -14 degree wind chill make a very bad painful combination.

The snow can fuck off now thank you very much :lol:

Edit - Sainsbury’s driver wasn’t found, I guess he came very early in the morning and just abandoned it...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I popped up to my mums barn after work. The road is still blocked one end but a farmer comes through and does the other end so everyone who lives down the road can get out.

Had to shovel some of the big lumps it had pushed into the entrance out of the way before driving in. Road was similarly compressed snow / ice as per mitos photos, nearly buggered over several times just getting in and out of the car. The winter tyres are superb, it’s the ride height which is the limiting factor especially now so much of the snow / slush has thawed and resolidified in the middle of the road.

Get 5 miles away and the amount of snow around drops off massively. At ours 30 miles away only the shady spots have anything left!

At ours
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Mito on winter tyres is more capable than it has any right to be. I remember back in 2009 we only had the Mito and X5 on winter tyres. We ended up exclusively using the Mito as it was better. I’ve seen them going up and down the Alps no problem in winter 😂 Being lightweight and nose heavy is ideal.

There’s only snow in the hills here, drive down to Folkestone/Dover and there’s nothing. The road is 500ft above sea level and it’s always 2-4 degrees cooler here. The valley acts as a bit of cold sink too.
Just went out and I can see in the distance that the council seem to have sent some ploughs and a gritter to sort out the rest of the road.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:13 pm The Mito on winter tyres is more capable than it has any right to be. I remember back in 2009 we only had the Mito and X5 on winter tyres. We ended up exclusively using the Mito as it was better. I’ve seen them going up and down the Alps no problem in winter 😂 Being lightweight and nose heavy is ideal.

There’s only snow in the hills here, drive down to Folkestone/Dover and there’s nothing. The road is 500ft above sea level and it’s always 2-4 degrees cooler here. The valley acts as a bit of cold sink too.
Just went out and I can see in the distance that the council seem to have sent some ploughs and a gritter to sort out the rest of the road.
Lightweight and skinny tyres FTW. Our MK1 MX5 is on 185 winters and is awesome in the snow 😎😎
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The front bumper is a pretty good shape for bashing through smaller drifts while they were still light and fluffy, not now they’re frozen solid, with it’s funny pointy bits on the outside edges and nicely curved sides.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

First time I've taken the boxster out for a week. The boot is still frozen shut. All the salt on the roads have been great but don't reckon too fab for a notorious rust bucket like what I have.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I bet the ‘sud would be good, very light, decent ground clearance, engine hung out in front of the front wheels, skinny high profile tyres.

I’d also be able to see it visibly crumbling to dust as I drove along through the salt 😂
Cheers, Harry