2005 Sharan - what do we know?

Beany

Re: 2005 Sharan - what do we know?

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:17 pm A grand? That's a lot of razor blades...
I don't get it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

147k miles, some history, trade.

There’s 3 things that would stop me even considering it. How do you think it arrived at this dealers door?

1. it was owned by a fastidious collector who looked after it regardless of cost, the dealer searched the country for it and bought it from them.

Or...

2. It was traded in because it was absolutely fucked, they never serviced it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Beany wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 pm
Simon wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:17 pm A grand? That's a lot of razor blades...
I don't get it.
Don't worry - it was a poor taste attempt at humour. I shouldn't have gone there TBH.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 pm 147k miles, some history, trade.

There’s 3 things that would stop me even considering it. How do you think it arrived at this dealers door?

1. it was owned by a fastidious collector who looked after it regardless of cost, the dealer searched the country for it and bought it from them.

Or...

....hence asking what common things go wrong, as those common things are normally a result of not being serviced.

You guys know that not everyone earns £30k and can spunk £3k on a car without thinking about it, right?

That website is a sheddy wonderland though - search for anything under £1000 and there are some right entertainingly scary looking things in there :D

Simon, I think I get it now ;)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

OK just to hopefully bring this to a close, there is simply no advice that can apply to a sub-1k shed like that. They may have had issues from new that are now sorted, that one may have issues totally unique to it through neglect, and so on and so on. No alternative but to go take a look at it, in the real world, away from the comfort of the free advice of strangers.

I have to say it does look particularly horrible though. Has it had acid drips on the front and rear bumpers?

Oh - and by the way - GBP 30k is about average wage for the UK. Aim higher in life mate.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:24 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 pm 147k miles, some history, trade.

Or...

....hence asking what common things go wrong, as those common things are normally a result of not being serviced.

You guys know that not everyone earns £30k and can spunk £3k on a car without thinking about it, right?
all the more reason to not buy a shed from a trader. You if all people should know that you can spend far more maintaining a shed that it costs to buy one.

I’ve bought plenty of cheap cars over the years. My tip will always be to avoid trade buys. There’s always a reason they’ve ended up with that dealer, and it’s never positive.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Never bought a car from a dealer / trader, and never will.
mik

Post by mik »

Pretty much what Rich said.

I get your point about available readies, but if you are down at that pricepoint and it looks like it has been a taxi in Beirut - both inside and out - i suspect the oily bits wont have been particularly well looked after either.

And i dont see what advantage you get buying from dealer - who has to make a profit... from you.
Beany

Post by Beany »

You lot are no fun ;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

More fun than that people carrier - that's for damn sure. ;)
Beany

Post by Beany »

I did query whether seven seats were required, but apparently thanks to family dynamics, they are.

Any better suggestions for seven seat sheds for those who are in the lower income brackets?

I suggested a Mondeo and a roof box (to stow the kids in) but was told to fuck off :(
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:37 pm You lot are no fun ;)
these are the tips you should be passing on to your mate though. Not specific things like “an 05 Sharan on the internet had a dirty MAF so check that”, but general things to look out for on all cheap cars.

Buy used cars from the owner - if he/she looks dodgy as fuck and couldn’t give a shit about the car, then expect the car to be the same. Most traders have no shame, they’ll punt on any old crap that they’ve got from an auction/PX without so much as waving a sponge at it. They don’t know it’s history and they won’t get embarrassed and tell the truth if you ask.

If your mate wants to have a car that looks about ready to die/fail it’s MOT/cost a fortune to fix, then looks like he’s found it.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Beany wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 pmAny better suggestions for seven seat sheds for those who are in the lower income brackets?
Go back in time, try harder at school and get your Mrs to shit out a few less kids.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Has anyone suggested a Model X yet? As he's clearly not a man of means he'll save some money on the 'petrol'

TBH Beany is right. Not everyone can pony a lot up for a car. But just because it's in Bradford and is sub £1k don't automatically assume it'll explode as soon as it crosses the dealer forecourt's threshold. When I trade my car in shortly that'll be at a similar level in the market, yet whoever buys it next will probably pick up a decent car. It looks ratty but I know it well have have looked after all the important bits.

Oh, and it maybe that the previous owner of Sharon has travelled to PX that because maybe that stealer had the car they wanted, rather than it being a local person.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You know how some people buy live lobsters and release them back into the ocean. Well, someone needs to buy that Sharon and drive it to a scrap yard.
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Simon - have you opened the ad and actually looked at the car under discussion?
GG.

Post by GG. »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Beany wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 pmAny better suggestions for seven seat sheds for those who are in the lower income brackets?
Go back in time, try harder at school and get your Mrs to shit out a few less kids.
I think this is the most sensible suggestion. Out of pure incredulity that that shitbox was the best on offer I had a quick look at autotrader and pretty much every MPV 7 seater at that price is either a non-runner or is an MRSA risk.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 pm Any better suggestions for seven seat sheds for those who are in the lower income brackets?
I've told you about 4 times. Private sellers. then you need to put some effort in and search for good ones.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Beany "OK so what do you recommend then?"
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

240 bangers for sale

I regret not opening a garage selling crap like that.