Carlos

Re: handbrake usage for learner drivers

Post by Carlos »

Seems like it does but my daughter just does what she's been taught :D

Who'd have thunk it :D
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mine does too, but it’s a lot less sensitive than the punto based on the same platform which my mum had before it!
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah it only works on decently steep slopes. I did think mine had got better but it was just a sticky caliper 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:46 am
MikeHunt wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:07 am He said that the handbrake is called a parking brake for a reason, it should never be used unless parking.
Did you specifically ask him how to do a hill start without using the handbrake ? That would answer the question.

We're all total DRIVING GODS here so obviously do it by feathering the clutch and jumping quickly from brake to throttle but that sounds like a really dangerous thing to ask a learner to do.
Hit the rev limiter, dump the clutch and roar away in a smoky burnout. Standard.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Advanced driving instructors want you to select Neutral plus handbrake if you are going to be stopped for more than a few seconds. (Certainly in a manuel car - haven’t driven an auto with an instructor). Rationale being that if you are receive a rear impact, your foot is likely to be dislodged from the brake. (Which makes sense, but when impacted your only have two wheels braked as opposed to four).

I agree the above doesn’t impact/influence any insurance claim.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

When I learned to drive, you could fail your test for not applying the handbrake when switching between forward and reverse gears (e.g. three point turn).
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, same. Wait for the bite, feel the car load up slightly before releasing. Always seemed a bit like you were learning to do it like that just to pass the test and no one would ever actually do that in the real world.
Cheers, Harry
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

MikeHunt wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:07 am My eldest is learning to drive, Im giver her extra lessons on top of the weekly 2 hours with an instructor. I had a chat with him this morning, as my advise conflicts with what she is learning from him.

He said that the handbrake is called a parking brake for a reason, it should never be used unless parking.

I have 2 cars with manual box and actual old school handbrake lever, when driving both cars I will use the handbrake for hill starts and if im at a junction or traffic lights that I think will be more than a few seconds of waiting, I put on the handbrake and drop into neutral.

Am I doing it wrong is this guy full of it?
So he's not even told her how to do handbrake turns yet?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:57 pm So he's not even told her how to do handbrake turns yet?
That’s my job :twisted: