What have you got that's one of a kind?

RobYob

Re: What have you got that's one of a kind?

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:47 pm
scotta wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:40 pm I have the setlist from a prodigy gig that was thrown into the crowd with accompanying electrical tape that stuck it to the stage monitor. Ive got the ticket from the gig as well. Keep meaning to get it framed.
It’s an omen
Not a firestarter.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

KiwiDave wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:08 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:55 am It'd be fascinating to dive down the rabbit of what particularly combination of spectral characteristics like resonance and damping gives the subjective "warm" "dry" impressions.
There are a LOT of variables. As I recently discovered, though thankfully not to my expense, you can't even say any given wood is the same, even how its dried out hugely impacts the sound. (Mate had a very expensive snare drum just crack like twigs). It at least goes some way to justifying to myself why I own the 22 I do, and will buy more yet. Even though to most people they all just go crack or splat.
Yeah there's shedloads of materials science in there. Cellulose based composite is pretty amazing stuff, and it grows on trees :D

Imagine a metal drum casing grown the same way as a turbine blade with a single homogeneous crystal. *leaps gleefully into another distracting rabbit hole*

Of course you can play 22 drums at once.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

A reasonable understanding of material science is great - you wouldn't believe some of the shit that gets put in marketing which is total hokum. :lol:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

KiwiDave wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:29 am A reasonable understanding of material science is great - you wouldn't believe some of the shit that gets put in marketing which is total hokum. :lol:
As soon as you introduce subjectivity it can be exploited with all sorts of cognitive bias'. That hokum is in some cases extremely well thought out and researched. :lol:

Let alone the fact that there is genuinely significant variability in both physical perception of things and neurological processing.

Famous example of average perception being altered by environment&culture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCller-Lyer_illusion