What have you got that's one of a kind?

Beany

Re: What have you got that's one of a kind?

Post by Beany »

Bizarrely, I/my bro have a couple of unique oils from Iran - courtesy of when our fathers parents lived there for a while (And got out once the revolution kicked off)

They need significant cleaning though, not least from spending 25 years in a house with heavy smokers.

Quite sure they're worthless, and honestly they're of little sentimental value to me - I'm currently 'looking after them' from when my bro moved house but he might want them back now, who knows :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

A friend of ours is an artist and gave us a lovely piece for out wedding present, so there's that.

And I think we have the only shed around that can't still be standing with all the wood rot yet is somehow defying physics and is still up.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I've got a cap signed by Michael Schumacher, but I think that's about it. Possibly also not 'unique'.
Left over crest; tightens.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I'm surprised about how much artwork and relations to artists there are on the forum. Paintings and artwork really are a lovely thing to have. When I moved into this flat I began to cover the walls with as many pictures, drawings and artwork as possible. Recently my girlfriend gave me a couple of large pieces she made a few years back which have really brightened up the bedroom.

I was once chatting to a friend at his house over lunch and he mentioned he had quite a lot of artwork (his father was a fairly successful venetian artist). He promptly went up to the attic and brought down a load of small pieces by Francisco Goya 😳
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

My racing Lawnmower, only one like it on the circuit, still competitive and has helped me and Baz to a few honours (6 hour outright win in 2005 and Baz's British Championship where when his mower failed he raced mine and usually won the race).
Some people buy their mower and sell them on mine I built and will never sell and will loan to my younger boy now.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've got a bunch of screen prints I bought from a friend before they moved back to New Zealand, also weird stuff that we've picked up from charity shops.

There's one I want, it's a painting based on a beatles song The Fool On The Hill. It was painted by my dad's cousin before she moved to a Buddhist monastery in northern england and it's really weird. Currently in my sister's house though and she's no giving it up :lol:

ETA we also have a framed lenticular picture of jesus on the cross that was in my partner's gran's house. Not sure how unique it is though :lol:
Last edited by ZedLeg on Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A subwoofer holder I made, a very simple table I made which was my first bit of hand planing to create a perfect flush fit, loads of other bits and pieces but the simple table is my favourite.

Also a chest made by my great grandfather.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Some original artwork, but it’s kind of a “given” that it’s unique, so not sure they count. :?

Youngest mik has half a dozen frames from the original cellular film of Empire Strikes Back - mounted in a frame - which is pretty cool I guess :?:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

KiwiDave wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:26 pm <snip>drums made of Inconel aren't exactly common,<snip>
I remember inconel being a bastard to work with when I was in oilfield services but why do you have a drum made with it? I remember it was non magnetic which was important for us for some reason.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:36 pm
KiwiDave wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:26 pm <snip>drums made of Inconel aren't exactly common,<snip>
I remember inconel being a bastard to work with when I was in oilfield services but why do you have a drum made with it? I remember it was non magnetic which was important for us for some reason.
Incomes is very hard to shape, very hard to weld, very hard to re-work but also hugely resilient to heat and expansion. It’s used on very hot exhausts where expansion causes issues and also won’t need braces.

Perfect for a drum kit as it’s so damn cool 😎

Dave!
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Good call on the artworks - I hadn't thought of that. I have a few small pieces which are one-offs, but as pointed out, I guess all oil paintings are?

Inconel drum - the construction of it is a rolled and welded shell so that's already hard. The guy tends to price his shells in number of drill bits broken per shell to drill the hardware holes. The particular alloy being used is also age hardened further. I really wanted it for a few reasons - it's rare, I used to work with Inconel when I was in engineering, and it's sonically quite different to most other metal drums, including a titanium shell drum I have (the one named after my mother) which uses the same shell design.

Metal drums, particularly snare drums have their sound impacted predominantly by how much weight in hardware is bolted to it and the original metal. Steel drums have a high end ring, like you can imagine you'd get hitting a hammer on an anvil. Brass have heaps of tone as you'd pick up from hitting anything made from brass. The titanium is quite a dark sound, there's very little mass to it. Traditionally if you want a high frequency aspect to the sound that cuts through loud guitars you'd go steel, or even better a cast bronze drum - all the Nirvana, RATM, Foos tracks use a cast bronze drum on the recordings. The Inconel snare allegedly achieves the same effect by virtue of it being such a dense and hard metal, but because it doesn't weigh 25kgs like a cast bronze does, it doesn't suffer some of the downsides of a super heavy drum. Allegedly. There's only this one guy who makes them in Canada, so separating the marketing hype from reality makes having ordered this an educated gamble.

And Dave, he's only made one complete drum kit - so currently there's only one kit on earth. Cost about $20k USD.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I think my coolness increased significantly just by reading that!

TIL a whole bunch of interesting stuff on drum materials! Many thanks KD!

Now I want to know what a carbon fibre reinforced ebony drum would sound like. There's probably a Python script for the calculations already...

Anyway, certainly not unique but the most interesting thing in my possession is an old card catalogue set of drawers from the Bodleian library, that and a slab of slate off the top of Ickworth house.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

The only Edition 30 in Victoria.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

RobYob wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:04 am I think my coolness increased significantly just by reading that!

TIL a whole bunch of interesting stuff on drum materials! Many thanks KD!

Now I want to know what a carbon fibre reinforced ebony drum would sound like. There's probably a Python script for the calculations already...

Anyway, certainly not unique but the most interesting thing in my possession is an old card catalogue set of drawers from the Bodleian library, that and a slab of slate off the top of Ickworth house.
Two things - the drawers from the Bodleian Library are cool, even if seeing them would give me flashbacks from way too long working in that sector. Nothing more confronting than yet another old, dusty, incredibly intelligent person and a fuck tonne of card catalogues and an aversion to digital when you're a nerd in that sector. So. Many. Fucking. Arguments. :lol:

Secondly, the unique snare drum I own which features my signature is a carbon fibre shell, the layup done by the peeps that do the Americas Cup boats here. It's LOUD and quite dry for something with a lot of resonance. I do know someone who has an ebony drum too, but combining them hasn't been done to the best of my knowledge.
unzippy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:19 am The only Edition 30 in Victoria.
That's gonna go with you to the grave, that brag!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

KiwiDave wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:51 am
Secondly, the unique snare drum I own which features my signature is a carbon fibre shell, the layup done by the peeps that do the Americas Cup boats here. It's LOUD and quite dry for something with a lot of resonance. I do know someone who has an ebony drum too, but combining them hasn't been done to the best of my knowledge.
It'd be fascinating to dive down the rabbit of what particularly combination of spectral characteristics like resonance and damping gives the subjective "warm" "dry" impressions.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:52 pmmany interesting words
Cheers Dave. Good explanation. 8-)
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:55 am
KiwiDave wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:51 am
It'd be fascinating to dive down the rabbit of what particularly combination of spectral characteristics like resonance and damping gives the subjective "warm" "dry" impressions.
I saw a fascinating video of Paul Reed Smith (from PRS guitars) talking about how the guitar is a subtractive machine. It can only take out frequencies, not add them. You start with the string vibrating and dampen different frequencies.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
scotta

Post by scotta »

I have the setlist from a prodigy gig that was thrown into the crowd with accompanying electrical tape that stuck it to the stage monitor. Ive got the ticket from the gig as well. Keep meaning to get it framed.
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:40 pm I have the setlist from a prodigy gig that was thrown into the crowd with accompanying electrical tape that stuck it to the stage monitor. Ive got the ticket from the gig as well. Keep meaning to get it framed.
It’s an omen
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:55 am It'd be fascinating to dive down the rabbit of what particularly combination of spectral characteristics like resonance and damping gives the subjective "warm" "dry" impressions.
There are a LOT of variables. As I recently discovered, though thankfully not to my expense, you can't even say any given wood is the same, even how its dried out hugely impacts the sound. (Mate had a very expensive snare drum just crack like twigs). It at least goes some way to justifying to myself why I own the 22 I do, and will buy more yet. Even though to most people they all just go crack or splat.
scotta wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:40 pm I have the setlist from a prodigy gig that was thrown into the crowd with accompanying electrical tape that stuck it to the stage monitor. Ive got the ticket from the gig as well. Keep meaning to get it framed.
That is very cool - definitely frame that.