What have you got that's one of a kind?

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

What have you got that's one of a kind?

Post by Gavster »

Following on from the "what weird thing have you got a spare of" thread, how about the opposite end of the scale - what have you got which is totally unique?

I'll start with the original BPI-certified double gold disc produced for James Hetfield of Metallica for UK sales of the Black album.

symbol text keyboard
DeskJockey

Re: What have you got that's one of a kind?

Post by DeskJockey »

That's a very strong opener.

I don't think I have any totally unique possessions.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

A few tattoos, a couple of books that there probably aren’t a lot of. A gamecube disc with a bunch of zelda games that was originally part of a console bundle and is quite hard to find on it’s own :lol:
An absolute unit
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I like those discs! How did you end up with them? Also, please can you confirm that those shorts are unique as I don't think the world could cope with another pair in existence.

Generally it's things I've made. I've replaced my work lanyard with a leather one that I've tooled. It's much better than the scratchy crap nylon bollocks that get issued. I also made a deerskin guitar strap that I tooled and monogrammed. I also added "Kiss my arse" on it because it amused me and made all the yoghurt weaving hippies on the leatherworking course roll their eyes.

My ghetto sim rig probably counts too. While it's not an original idea, it is unique. There's a couple of bits of artwork floating around too.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I did something unique this morning.

But unfortunately I forgot to take photos before I flushed it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:43 am I did something unique this morning.

But unfortunately I forgot to take photos before I flushed it.
You spent enough time analysing it to confirm it was unique? That's. Uhm. Interesting.
---
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I have an old metal trunk my dad used to use when he worked in Saudi. It has stickers on the inside with his handwriting on- He passed away when I was 11, and despite me not being a sentimental person, I have a strange attachment to this trunk. I’ve lined it all inside with plywood to strengthen it up and fabric lined it all, then fixed hairpin legs onto it and it’s now a coffee table come console come otterman in living room and is now one of my favourite possessions
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I have a piece of my grandfather's Lancaster wreakage that we were presented by the Dutch where it crashed.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:44 am You spent enough time analysing it to confirm it was unique? That's. Uhm. Interesting.
They’re like children aren’t they ?

The ones produced by other people are disgusting but you’re quite fond of your own :)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:38 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:44 am You spent enough time analysing it to confirm it was unique? That's. Uhm. Interesting.
They’re like children aren’t they ?

The ones produced by other people are disgusting but you’re quite fond of your own :)
:lol:

Not quite accurate.
---
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:27 pm I have a piece of my grandfather's Lancaster wreakage that we were presented by the Dutch where it crashed.
That's pretty epic, and unique too, sounds like a very interesting back story to it as well.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:11 am A few tattoos, a couple of books that there probably aren’t a lot of. A gamecube disc with a bunch of zelda games that was originally part of a console bundle and is quite hard to find on it’s own :lol:
What tattoos have you got?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:36 am I like those discs! How did you end up with them? Also, please can you confirm that those shorts are unique as I don't think the world could cope with another pair in existence.
I graduated from uni in 2002 and the first job I picked up after tooling around SE Asia for a few months was as a designer at a music awards company. They were the company that invented the certified silver/gold/platinum sales award in partnership with the BPI, sometime around the sixties. In the seventies and eighties they were making massive amounts of money, when record companies would buy sales awards for everyone who worked on an album, it was a huge thing.

When I started, they had moved to new offices and all of this stock needed sorting out. In the production room, there were piles and piles of spare vinyl, CDs, DVDs and awards that were spare or defective. As I was unpacking everything, I found one box contained a set of Metallica double gold discs, one for each of the Metallica band members and Bob Rock. I was blown away, so asked the boss why they had them. Back in the 80s/90s, it was proper old-school business terms when a label ordered discs, something insane like a 12 week lead time. The Black album was released, and when it went gold, the record label were super pleased, so ordered the gold discs, which based on Metallica's previous success would have been enough. However, the album was so popular that halfway through producing the discs, it became clear that giving the band gold discs would have been an insult, as the album was so quickly heading towards being platinum. So the record label cancelled the gold discs and ordered platinum instead. The boss let me borrow James Hetfield's award so that I could show my friends and impress them, then he gave it to me as a leaving gift when I moved on, which was incredibly generous of him.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavster wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:35 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:11 am A few tattoos, a couple of books that there probably aren’t a lot of. A gamecube disc with a bunch of zelda games that was originally part of a console bundle and is quite hard to find on it’s own :lol:
What tattoos have you got?
These are the two most recent ones. I’ve got six or seven more going back to about 20 years old.
EC0C5F37-B828-4C21-8C12-2C8051894E20.jpeg
EC0C5F37-B828-4C21-8C12-2C8051894E20.jpeg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Can’t be bothered fixing the wonky formatting
25985B1B-C126-443D-80D9-FA5DCCD86C7E.jpeg
25985B1B-C126-443D-80D9-FA5DCCD86C7E.jpeg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 829 times
An absolute unit
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

They're cool, got a nice style. What's the deal with the lighthouse?

I guess my tattoos are unique, especially the ones I did on myself during lockdown 😂
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s based on the lighthouse from Annihilation. I love the books and the movie. Done by a hand poke artist in Glasgow.

We kept talking about getting a hand poke kit and practicing on ourselves during lockdown. Never got round to it though, probably for the best :lol:
An absolute unit
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Two of my snare drums are kinda unique - one which is almost a production model but I managed to have it named (in lieu of serial numbers) after my mother in memory of her. The second has a badge with my signature on it.

Third one in bound soon-ish, that one uses a standard shell and hardware (I say standard, but it will be about number 20 ever made - drums made of Inconel aren't exactly common) but it's the only one ever painted in a specific colour - I've asked for it to be done in Porsche PTS Yachting Blue Metallic. Will likely have a unique name instead of serial number too.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

A few original oil paintings. Also have an official F1 Diary based on the FT diary. Bernie's company ordered hundreds each year and handed them out to sponsors etc. He did not pay his bill one year when I sold the FT diaries and the rep that dealt with them gave me one before they were pulped.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My toolbox, which I made at university (design not totally unique because everyone made one, but I think mine is likely to be the only fully finished one which is still in use over 30 years on).

A few paintings by my great-grandfather, and one by my ex-wife which is too nice to dispose of but lives in a cupboard because it's insensitive to display it :lol:

Oh, and of course: the only thatched cottage in the village.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Good point on the artwork. We've got a few unique pieces that we've bought or been given over the years.
---