CBD oil

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

CBD oil

Post by Gavster »

As I constantly experiment with things I figured it was worth trying. Started taking it 10 days ago (40mg per day, which is lower than recommended) and genuinely feel like the world is a bit calmer. I'm on a big deadline to deliver a report by tomorrow, so this should be a fairly high-stress period of time, yet in spite of that, there's very little anxiety. Not noticed any other changes, but frankly, being calmer and more present is a bonus as I'm usually on the slightly distracted, ADHD-esque end of personalities normally. I've tried microdosing in the past too, which can be good for focus and removing mental barriers, but it can be a little mentally tiring too.

Anyone else tried it?
Beany

Re: CBD oil

Post by Beany »

Not oil, but suspended in eliquid, and yeah I found it pretty good for knocking the edges off of anxiety and stress in the evening (never tried it in the day). It's also a mild analgesic so it did a decent job of quieting down some aches and pains.

Just realised I can afford it again now so just pick some up.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve never tried CBD oil but I have a dry “herb” vaporiser for when my anxiety spikes.

I hadn’t smoked weed recreationally for years but it really helps me. Stops me from doing something more self destructive while I’m spiralling.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

I haven’t tried that, but I did accidentally purchase this for mrs mik a few weeks back.

I have now tried it myself, and I felt my wash time was perhaps a little more relaxed - perhaps a little less aggressive with various scrubbing activities. A smidge more time spent just contemplating…. Not sure if this was the CBD, or the frankincense reminding me of the lovely baby Jesus? :? Amen.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Fuck me, just had a life-changing experience with CBD.

Been taking it for over a year now, each morning, just because I felt there was a very mild benefit for day-to-day anxiety. Was wondering if it was even worth it for the cost:benefit.

On Tuesday, I hadn't taken any in the morning. I also ran a 5k race in the evening, which is important info. Anyway, I got home late, had an ice bath, took a glug of CBD from the end of the bottle and went to bed.

I slept deeper and more restoratively than I have in over a decade. Woke up feeling fresh and bright, rather than exhausted. For context, I've had restless leg syndrome all my life, which has destroyed my sleep quality. I fidget, twitch, constantly roll around and also have involuntary spasms/shocks after intense exercise, which scares the crap out of my partner, not to mention destroys her sleep too. For me it feels like snakes are crawling through my bones and I usually wake up feeling like I've had a scrap up in the night. When it's particularly bad, I have to get up and do stretching exercises in the middle of the night. And it's usually at its absolute worst after intense exercise, such as a race, and I will feel like I spent 8 hours rolling around in bed but barely slept. Which is what makes Tuesday so remarkable.

Obviously I wondered if it was a fluke, so took CBD again before bed for the last two nights and the same thing happened. Lovely sleep, zero restlessness and no longer wake up feeling exhausted. This really is mind-blowing, as I've had 45 years of normalising dodgy sleep and honestly didn't realise sleep could consistently be like this :shock:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That sounds like an excellent experience.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:D 8-)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:53 am Fuck me, just had a life-changing experience with CBD.

Been taking it for over a year now, each morning, just because I felt there was a very mild benefit for day-to-day anxiety. Was wondering if it was even worth it for the cost:benefit.

On Tuesday, I hadn't taken any in the morning. I also ran a 5k race in the evening, which is important info. Anyway, I got home late, had an ice bath, took a glug of CBD from the end of the bottle and went to bed.

I slept deeper and more restoratively than I have in over a decade. Woke up feeling fresh and bright, rather than exhausted. For context, I've had restless leg syndrome all my life, which has destroyed my sleep quality. I fidget, twitch, constantly roll around and also have involuntary spasms/shocks after intense exercise, which scares the crap out of my partner, not to mention destroys her sleep too. For me it feels like snakes are crawling through my bones and I usually wake up feeling like I've had a scrap up in the night. When it's particularly bad, I have to get up and do stretching exercises in the middle of the night. And it's usually at its absolute worst after intense exercise, such as a race, and I will feel like I spent 8 hours rolling around in bed but barely slept. Which is what makes Tuesday so remarkable.

Obviously I wondered if it was a fluke, so took CBD again before bed for the last two nights and the same thing happened. Lovely sleep, zero restlessness and no longer wake up feeling exhausted. This really is mind-blowing, as I've had 45 years of normalising dodgy sleep and honestly didn't realise sleep could consistently be like this :shock:
I’ll have to watch the show again but I’m sure Matthew Walker, mr sleep scientist said the opposite, weed, alcohol etc mean you may sleep more but it’s not mentally restorative, it prevented the actual part which mentally gets your brain to do a tidy up and relax.

I’ll have a look as I benefited a lot from his Podcast.

Dave!
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:36 am
Gavster wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:53 am Fuck me, just had a life-changing experience with CBD.

I’ll have to watch the show again but I’m sure Matthew Walker, mr sleep scientist said the opposite, weed, alcohol etc mean you may sleep more but it’s not mentally restorative, it prevented the actual part which mentally gets your brain to do a tidy up and relax.

I’ll have a look as I benefited a lot from his Podcast.

Dave!
Yup, alcohol destroys my sleep quality, one of the many reasons I avoid it. But he was probably talking about regular sleep, rather than calming a specific condition like RLS
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's the THC in weed that keeps your brain active. CBD is a much less psycho active substance.

It's magic for stuff like insomnia and low level anxiety/stress.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Is an evening run not a really bad idea for getting good restful sleep? Especially at this time of year? I'd imagine you're playing havoc with your circadian rhythm.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

For a many years now I've had periods of depression and tend to have a fairly high background level of anxiety and relatively frequent panic attacks (the real, I'm about to die, run the fuck away, push the emergency stop button on a train type of thing)

I prefer to put my trust in scientifically proven and regulated medication than some unregulated/unknown alternative

But all my life (I'm now in my 50s) I've always struggled with sleep - as in, I've always found it hard to stay away/get up

Even now I could go to bed early evening and still sleep in until lunchtime the next day, and always feel exhausted in the morning/real effort to get out of bed (even when I have something good like a holiday, day out ahead)

The idea of feeling awake and ready to get up in the morning is totally alien to me

I've never experienced that...
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

This is all quite interesting, I too have never really felt the "waking up refreshed" feeling that people talk about. I always feel pretty much the same as I did when I went to bed.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Same here, wake up feeling tired, brain doesn't really get going until about an hour after I've woken up. Tend to focus best late in the evenings. Having some booze before I sleep really helps me get a good nights sleep although I prefer something stronger and not beer as I wake up bursting for a piss.
How about not having a sig at all?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

What have you been using Gav?

I’ve always had trouble getting to sleep, my brain just doesn’t want to shut off for the night, but I generally sleep through once I’m off. I’ve started now waking up a couple of times a night for the last few months too.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If people can’t sleep, what is your sleep routine ?

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:39 am It's the THC in weed that keeps your brain active. CBD is a much less psycho active substance.

It's magic for stuff like insomnia and low level anxiety/stress.
I only remember him mentioning weed so this is probably the case.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I tend to watch youtube/Netflix before I fall asleep, if I'm not feeling sleepy I put on a Harry's garage video, I like them but they send me straight to sleep. People (usually ones with sleep issues) always whine on about phone/ blue light etc before bed being a problem, but I sleep fine.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I agree with all the non refreshed sleeping people in this thread, an interesting experiment may be required with this CBD stuff.

I hate waking up as I feel worse than when I went to bed most of the time, changing timezones frequently doesn't help I guess though.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I tend to read before sleep. Been my routine for as long as I can remember and it seems to work.

Some days I barely manage a page, other days I can read for an hour. But I try to be consistent in reading every day.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away