Post by ZedLeg »

Oct 19th 2023

I look forward to the reasonable discussion :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Re: Indy 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by dinny_g »

Fingers crossed for a Yes this time!!!🙏🤞🏻
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
John

Post by John »

Can the English vote too? *predictable*
:D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

No English allowed, you ruin everything when you vote.
An absolute unit
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I think I might get a vote this time :mrgreen:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Fine, have another once in a generation vote, but can we have it agreed that there shouldn’t be another one after this for at least 30 years?
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

Maybe they’ll have some time now to actually come up with some proposals on what independence could actually look like (other than the “it has to be better than this” pish that was spouted last time.

Although the combination of the current conservative shambles & Brexit may make a sufficiently compelling argument for many, without any alternative hypothesis requiring fleshing out.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If Boris is still in charge, the vote is almost certainly going to be in favour of breaking up the union.

Of course, be careful what you wish for. Last time there was a referendum, it was taken as a mandate to fuck the whole U.K. up good and proper.
Beany

Post by Beany »

There needs to be an economic plan that doesn't almost entirely rely on North Sea oil.

Because, you know, it's a finite resource and all that.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Beany wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:40 pm There needs to be an economic plan that doesn't almost entirely rely on North Sea oil.

Because, you know, it's a finite resource and all that.
The YEs vote camp last time barely mentioned North Sea Oil, it was the Yoons who kept banging on about it running out. Funny how after the referendum loads was found though...

There was a white paper last time and presumably there be another but I suspect a lot of remainUK voters will have changed their mind and quite a few will have died of old age. Shit rags are not selling as well as they did either so that will help.

Hopefully it will not be antagonistic, wanting out own political control is not a reason to hate the English or for them to hate us, hopefully we will be indy in the EU and you can rejoin teh common market and be good neighbours, just you can enact your illegal and racist laws and we can do other stuff like look after old people, give young people free bus passes etc
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Land borders with the EU have proved… well, a bit of a issue…

If the Scots vote yes to leave the Union (not break it up… yet - just one part in 4 leaving) then you’ll leave with my blessing… hell I’ll christen your dumpster (virtual bag of Revels for reference ;) )

But if you vote No, again, can we all agree we fire wee Jimmy Cranky out into the North Sea for once and for all.

Sky can do a Pay per View

@ Gav…

“wanting out own political control is not a reason to hate the English or for them to hate us, hopefully we will be indy in the EU”

Do you think you will have more independence swapping one set of Political Control for another??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:02 am Do you think you will have more independence swapping one set of Political Control for another??
I don't think the level of control the EU would have over Scotland is anything like the current situation of Scotland as part of the UK.

If I were Scottish, I'd be voting for independence on the proviso that EU membership happened within a couple of years. As we've seen with Ukraine, you can't just sign up and you're in in a matter of months - it just doesn't work like that.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I’d want to see us applying for EU membership asap after a yes vote.

I think the difference maker this time is that we’ve had recent and solid proof of how little influence we have on national politics. We’re watching ourselves be dragged into a mire by people we didn’t vote for over a brexit we didn’t vote for.

Obviously I voted yes last time and will again, it couldn’t get much worse could it :lol:
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:02 am If the Scots vote yes to leave the Union (not break it up… yet - just one part in 4 leaving)
Dinny, losing one quarter of the Union is breaking it up. Just because there might still exist something called the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland doesn't mean it's intact :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

If it still exists than it's intact - weakened, smaller for sure and very much different but still intact.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I hope it doesn't go ahead. I agree with Jobbo that it will become an anti Boris vote with very little to do with the pros and cons of leaving !

The last thing the UK needs is more uncertainty at the moment.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's a fucking stupid idea. And indy refs are a reserved matter, so I hope to see an illegitimate vote take place, a 'no' vote, then Sturgeon hunted like Puigdemont around the UK. What a toxic, nationalistic little witch she is.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

EU membership keeps being bandied about by the Nats, but in reality this is unfathomably difficult to achieve - currency sovereignty being one fairly massive hurdle that the SNP consitstenly fail to explain how they're going ot achieve it.

As for accession within a coupe of years - ahahahahahaha. Yeah, good one. Even assuming Scot met all the conditions it would take probably a decade or more.

Cloud bloody cuckoo land.

Jobbo's right though - assuming they're even allowed the vote, if Boris is still PM by then it'll be a slam dunk result. I mean, if we all had the chance we'd probably all vote that way :lol:

This is symptomatic though of consistent failing by UK Govt - they've had 8yrs ffs to "work on" the Nationalists and try to bring Scotland around, and they've done shit all.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

From my brother's Facebook:

PLANS WITHIN PLANS
If UK government refuse the go-ahead for this and the Supreme Court subsequently grant it, I think there's only a slim chance of the Scots as a whole voting against it this time, not while Boris Johnson remains Prime Minister. The leader of the *Conservative and Unionist* Party is so staggeringly, all-consumingly repellent that many Scots who turned down the opportunity last time - maybe wisely, who knows - are now keen to go it alone, and as soon as possible. Anything to get away from under the gut of that despicable, lying coward.
To put it another way: given that in Andrew Marr's words, "Westminster is a bubbling cauldron of plotting", this move by Sturgeon is almost guaranteed to be refused by Boris Johnson. Then if that decision is reversed by the judiciary it leaves the Tories having to remove their leader and quickly, or face the ignominy of being the MPs who, after over three hundred years, oversaw the destruction of both the economy and the union.
It's almost as if someone has had a word in Nicola's ear.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Most of the national parties seem to have written off Scotland to the SNP tbh.

Maybe a better option would be a national vote for independence from Downing St, build a wall round it.
An absolute unit