Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Roe vs Wade

Post by Gavster »

It's just unfathomable.
Beany

Re: Roe vs Wade

Post by Beany »

It's literally what the right wing have been trying to achieve for years now.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Agreed. At least California has said they won’t ban abortion and will accept anyone from other states and protect them from prosecution in their home states. Also large companies have come out and said they will cover the travel and accommodation costs on their company health insurance.

Just to be clear I understand these measures shouldn’t be needed. America is broken. I saw someone tweet if rich white men needed abortions they would be available at ATM’s. I wholeheartedly believe that would be the case
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It is a massive step backwards, but hardly surprising. Can only hope that this galvanises enough voters that they give the democrats the seats they need to be able to make lasting reforms (whether there's political will is another matter).

Land of the free, home of the brave? Nope.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

jamcg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:14 pm I saw someone tweet if rich white men needed abortions they would be available at ATM’s.
Ain't that the truth :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavster wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:42 pm
jamcg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:14 pm I saw someone tweet if rich white men needed abortions they would be available at ATM’s.
I can't understand how anyone can actively vote to enable and support reducing their own rights and freedoms (much like Brexit...).
---
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:59 pm It's just unfathomable.
This.

To what end does it serve other than the wishes of rich, far-right (rich & influential) religious zealots? Or have I just answered my own question...

Is this genuinely just the result of the rise of the far right under Trump and some of the appointments in the justice system he's made?
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:56 pm
I can't understand how anyone can actively vote to enable and support reducing their own rights and freedoms (much like Brexit...).
I've said it before but the ability of rich white folk to distract the poor by turning them on each other while they rob the bank is kind of amazing, in a horrible way.
An absolute unit
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

George Carlin did a piece where he said they're only pro-life before birth. Once they're born they couldn't care less until they reach military age and can fight.

I don't get it either. Surely it's better to allow choice, so that if you're against abortion, then don't have one and if you want it, then go ahead. The same logic applies to vaccines, they're good news for most people, but you're not legally obligated to have one, you can choose.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavster wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:05 pm

George Carlin did a piece where he said they're only pro-life before birth. Once they're born they couldn't care less until they reach military age and can fight.

I don't get it either. Surely it's better to allow choice, so that if you're against abortion, then don't have one and if you want it, then go ahead. The same logic applies to vaccines, they're good news for most people, but you're not legally obligated to have one, you can choose.
There's talk about them going after contraception and same-sex marriage next. It is a religiously motivated crusade to effectively impose a state religion.
---
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It's really staggering..

I don't pay much heed to American Internal Politics but it seemed, at least to me, to come out of nowhere...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

There isn't any separation of church and state when it comes to bullshit like this.

What a massive backwards step in this evermore backwards country.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:19 pm It's really staggering..

I don't pay much heed to American Internal Politics but it seemed, at least to me, to come out of nowhere...
Nah it's been in the pipeline for years, as soon as Ruth Bader Ginsburg died it was pretty much guaranteed to happen.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Oh right, understood.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

A lot of people criticised Obama's administration for not making more of an effort to convince her to retire so they could vote a judge in before he finished. Hard to argue with that at this point. The republicans probably have the SC loaded in their favour for the next decade at least.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Someone on here described it as a third world country with money and that’s truer with every day.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:20 pm A lot of people criticised Obama's administration for not making more of an effort to convince her to retire so they could vote a judge in before he finished. Hard to argue with that at this point. The republicans probably have the SC loaded in their favour for the next decade at least.
Unless they change the laws governing the SC they might have it sown up for several decades. System is unfit for purpose.
---
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Even the Vatican has criticised america. Granted they agree on the anti-abortion stance, that’s fully expected as it’s the Catholic Church but they have made other valid points which show the hypocrisy involved in all this
“Being for life always means defending it against the threat of firearms, which unfortunately have become a leading cause of death of children and adolescents in the U.S.,” the Vatican’s editorial director, Andrea Tornielli, chided Saturday in an essay.

“Pro-life” is not just about opposing abortion, he pointed out. Anti-abortion activists must be concerned with all issues that threaten life, such as easy access to guns, poverty and rising maternity mortality rates, which are alarmingly high in the U.S., Tornielli emphasized.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:40 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:20 pm A lot of people criticised Obama's administration for not making more of an effort to convince her to retire so they could vote a judge in before he finished. Hard to argue with that at this point. The republicans probably have the SC loaded in their favour for the next decade at least.
Unless they change the laws governing the SC they might have it sown up for several decades. System is unfit for purpose.
I did initially say 20 years but the Bush senior judges that are still there are in their 70s so we can live in hope that they’ll retire. I assume that Kavanaugh will injure himself doing a keg stand at some point and will have to step down.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I'd get angry about gerrymandering and voter access discrimination but FFS tens of millions of dunderheads still voted Republican. I despair.