FAO Glasses wearers / contact lens folk

davecG60

FAO Glasses wearers / contact lens folk

Post by davecG60 »

I've recently had a new eye test and my prescription has changed. I've been at the local Specsavers for years now and have always had my glasses / contacts from them. Due to a change in my prescription I'm going to get new glasses but may also get contacts instead. I have a trial fitting for lenses tomorrow as they have had to order in specific lenses for my dodgy eyes.

i have a slight astigmatism and also one eye only shows me movement ( & very blurred objects) - ie I only really see through 1 eye and have for probably 40 years.
Due to age/fu**ed eyes I need varifocal lenses but only one lens will be of any use - the other just for balance.

Where do people get their eye-wear from and has anybody tried Glasses Direct or other online places? There are plenty of alternatives to Specsavers out there and also plenty of offers / cashback but wondered if anybody has actually used online sites ?
Cockwobble
MikeHunt

Re: FAO Glasses wearers / contact lens folk

Post by MikeHunt »

Assuming you can read my reply, glasses direct are pretty decent. I do some work for the factory (in Halesowen) they first used, but they have grown now and have their own dedicated facility.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I’m exactly the same as you eyes wise, I won’t touch Specsavers as they twice tried to prescribe me frames that were too wide for me so would mean I would never have been able to focus. I had a battle to get a refund. I’ve always used Boots opticians. Make sure you can return the lenses for free as due to my astigmatism I’ve never been able to wear contact due to them never sitting properly.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I use a local - they might have one Stockport way actually - Wheeldon Opticians.

I have a slight stigmatism in one eye so have a Toric lens for that one. Costs me about £20/mo for monthlies. I then get the Boots (rebranded AO Sept0 peroxide cleaning system - the 3 month pack is fairly good value at £22 for 3mo worth I think.

There was talk of me trying varifocals at my last appointment. I'm convinced that lockdown has led to my eyes ageing quickly and I find some things really difficult to read (clothes washing labels are the worst as the twats print them in grey on black). I'll probably resist a bit longer though. Maybe hold out for cataracts so I can have some replacement lenses and not need contacts anymore. :lol:

Gavin - have you ever tried a toric lens? I rarely have any issues with mine. If anything, the only issue I do commonly have is that it's a bit springy so tends to ping off somewhere when I take it out, leavng me scrabbling round the bathroom floor looking for the sodding thing.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I wear glasses, my astigmatism is too severe to fit contacts I used directsight for reglazing frames (waiting for another pair to arrive today incidentally) and they've been fine and much, much cheaper than reglazes from the highstreet. They've reglazed 3 sets of Oakleys for me as sunglasses too.
When I got new frames last time around I used Glasses direct for the package and again they were fine, Superdry frames with a prescription lens, same spec as the opticians but for £75, 50% of the cost of the highstreet.
The wife uses contacts and shes been doing those online for quite sometime now, although the price from Vision Express is competitive too, they just cocked up her order (kept being delivered to the branch requiring a visit rather than our house) too many times so she cancelled and got the same lenses from contactlenses.co.uk I think it was marginally cheaper.
As for specsavers, I wouldn't touch them again, ever. They won't save you anything and they are all about upselling. They were desparate to get me on a contact lens plan so kept getting me back for trials (must have tried 10 sets over 5 visits) and wouldn't give up. I went to another optician and they said it was doubtful they'd work for me, tried 2 sets and said nope, sorry you can't wear them.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Thanks for the replies.

Very interesting to read about the experiences had at Specsavers! They have recommended I try daily lenses due to my eye shape but this may be the upselling mentioned ?
I'll definitely have a look online at the options available as Specsavers do seem expensive. I got a price for 1X glasses and 1X prescription sunglasses and they were very handy with the upsell for better lenses / coatings etc etc. Basically what started as buy a frame (£120) and get the next free turned in to a total of £230 !!!! After getting measured up for the fitment etc and hearing the prices I said I'll wait for the lens appt. -- the saleswoman just jumped out of her chair, stropped off to the till and before I'd got there had already charged me £25 for my test :shock:

* It may well just be the staff as this wasn't the normal local branch.
Cockwobble
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I get my prescription from boots and glasses from selectspecs online several times with no issues.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I've had some from Glasses Direct in the past, quite happy with them but much, much harder to get them fitting just right. I usually just get the 2-for-1 deal at Specsavers but you are totally reliant upon stock in store; last time I had my eyes tested they had none with the right length arms. They offered to bend them but there's no way I'm having ill-fitting glasses with the arms tickling my collar. Meaning to give Glasses Direct another go.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:12 pm I get my prescription from boots and glasses from selectspecs online several times with no issues.
Another vote for select specs. I’m hopeless and loose my glasses all the time and with my job they take an absolute hammering so I only get mine from here and only buy the tight bastard spec £6 ones :lol:

I also have a stigmatism and the lenses are always spot on and there’s a few stylish frames asking as you’re fine with plastic frames
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've been on a specsavers lens subscription for a good 15 years, I've had no issues and pretty much all positive customer experiences, but I must admit I've never shopped around so am probably not getting good value.

I would only ever consider daily contact lenses though.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:40 pm

How come Duncs? Not something I've ever understood the point of tbh.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:01 am

Just CBA with the maintenance, or dropping them, or losing them, much easier just to throw them in the bin and have access to new ones whenever I need.

I should probably take a break from the subscription though, I've got about six months worth. :)
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:14 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:01 am

Just CBA with the maintenance, or dropping them, or losing them, much easier just to throw them in the bin and have access to new ones whenever I need.

I should probably take a break from the subscription though, I've got about six months worth. :)
Its the correct way to go. I use https://www.daysoft.com/united-kingdom/

Cheap enough and no stress about losing / breaking them. Only downside of dailies is they are soft and sometime break little bits off in your eye :lol: :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I'd always assumed dailies were also far more of an environmental disaster than monthlies. But I guess when you add in the cleaning aspects of monthlies it probably evens up.

Cleaning's easy though - put them in the case with the peroxide. No need to rub them or owt.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I had dailies because I only wore them occasionally and couldn’t be bothered with the faff of cleaning / chemicals.

Then we had to start wearing safety glasses full time at work and paid for prescription ones. I’ve still got loads of boxes to get through 😅

Never had any break, you do get the occasional one with a bad edge which just doesn’t seem to sit flat, but you can usually tell straight away and swap it out.
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I used to have the standard specsavers ones, which I never had any issues with. Then a few years ago they convinced me to upgrade to some which correct my astigmatism, they seem to dry my eyes out a bit more and have broken once I think. They assure me I see better in them, I don't know if I can really tell the difference. :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

A proper Toric lens shouldn't be any different other than in shape. Mine are the same brand and lens type, but 1 is toric for my astigmatic right eye.

I'm always surprised people don't seem to take too much interest in their eyes and what they're being sold - you only get one pair so it pays to make sure you're getting it right ;) Not sure I'd ever go with a high street opticians compared to a proper independent.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The toric lenses are a different brand, I don't think the original brand I had did toric lenses. I tried a few different brands of toric and got on with these the best, just not as well as the old non-toric.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

I'm blaming this thread for having my first incident with contact lenses in a good while! I suffer from hayfever and today was a particularly bad one.

Rubbing my eyes, despite taking both of the normal types of antihistamine and having this prescription nasal spray I can't remember the name of, and managed to turn over part of my lense while in my eye. Was walking round the shop and by the time I got back to the car, my eye was streaming and had bother with it all day. Luckily had prescription sunglasses in the car to put on.

I wear dailies due to having some infections with monthlies a while back. 25 quid for a box of 2 x 30 from Specsavers. The ones Broccers shared are less than half that buying 3 months worth so I'll be going down that route when I cancel after my next lot come. Have used those same ones in the past to top-up my normal lenses when I didn't get as many through Specsavers and they were fine