The song/music thread

Simon

The song/music thread

Post by Simon »

I'm not into edgy music. I like Coldplay. I can play the piano, and 5 years ago I underwent some budget creep and spent a bit too much money on a new one. 2 or 3 evenings a week I can be found in front of my computer using Cubase to try and put my own miserable collection of notes into something resembling a melody.

Seeing as we have a movie thread, a TV thread, etc, i thought it'd be nice for us to share some of our favourite tracks, or whatever we're listening to at the moment.

From over 25 years ago, for me, this is perfect. I wouldn't change a note, a word, or a sentiment from this entire performance. It's incredible from start to end.

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Pete_

Re: The song/music thread

Post by Pete_ »

There already is one
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1087&hilit=Listening+to
At least you're consistent with liking Coldplay :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

Gah. Hasn't been touched in 5 months tho!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

For me, the greatest single song if all time is Shine on you Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd.

Leaving aside the meaning behind the song, it’s musically awesome.

But considering the story behind it, its’s 13 1/2 minutes of pure perfection
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

What about Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins? (This may be partly because the band I never formed would have been called Teacake Addicts).
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Too many to choose from really, these are pretty close to perfect though.

An absolute unit
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

This is pretty much a flawless live performance by a band at the top of their game fronted by probably the finest female singer on the planet. Floor Jansen is simply jaw dropping.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Simon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:39 pm Gah. Hasn't been touched in 5 months tho!
I know that feeling. :(

On the way to see Top Gun yesterday we had the soundtrack on in the car and Danger Zone is still a killer track.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Simon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:10 pm I can play the piano, and 5 years ago I underwent some budget creep and spent a bit too much money on a new one.
Details please. Thinking of upgrading mine.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon

Post by Simon »

240PP wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:46 pm
Simon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:10 pm I can play the piano, and 5 years ago I underwent some budget creep and spent a bit too much money on a new one.
Details please. Thinking of upgrading mine.
Got a Yamaha CLP-685. Been superceded in the last few months by the 785, but still very capable. 3 pedal, spruce wood speaker cones, full length keys in an upright frame, etc etc. Spent about £3300 on it when I only went out to buy something basic. The whole CLP range are really great IMO if you like Yamaha's CFX sound, rather than say a Kawai etc.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I started with a fairly basic Yamaha then upgraded to a Roland. I fancy a new one but not enough to spend £3k!
dan

Post by dan »

Simon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:10 pm Stuff
I also play piano and guitar and have a pretty wide taste in music. I agree about brothers in arms, In fact Mark Knopfler is one of my all time favourite artists.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

This is already nailed on as my "song of the summer"

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Some friends had a spare ticket to see Queen & Adam Lambert last night so of course I took it. It was awesome and at the same time confusing. It gave me a new-found respect for just how good a guitarist Brian May is (although a wee bit out there and I wasn't always sure if he was enjoying himself or not) and there were some utterly spine-tingling moments hearing those songs and specific guitar parts & melodies live for the first time - I've been aware of some of them in one form or another from as soon as I can remember watching TV and listening to the radio. Adam Lambert is a great front-man with a cracking voice and is absolutely having a blast of a time.

The weird thing is that at times, it almost felt like I was at a Queen musical starring Adam Lambert, because obviously with no Freddie Mercury, it wasn't Queen... but it was clearly Queen. This is starting to sound like Alan Partridge talking about "lady boys."
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

This new Boiler Room with Fred Again dropped last week and it is absolute perfection, from the mixing to the production, the breaks, it's spin-chilling dance around the room kinda stuff.

And for an idea of how hard it goes, check out the breakdown that follows on from around 21:00 https://youtu.be/c0-hvjV2A5Y?t=1257 and tell me that doesn't slap
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

American IV: The Man Comes Around

This is pizza making music right now 😎
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I have quite diverse taste in music.

This week I've listened to Dylan, The Beatles, Leftfield, Billy Bragg, The Fall, Beth Orton, Cowboy Junkies, The Cult, Free, ELP, Procum Harum, Joy Division, King Biscuit Time, The Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Transglobal Underground, Fluke, Air, Wolf Alice, Public Service Broadcasting, Death in Vegas, System of a Down, Portishead.
Last edited by NGRhodes on Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

NGRhodes wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55 pm Joy Division
I Went to see Peter Hook and the Light play at Leeds Apollo a couple of weeks ago, he's very, very good live.