The song/music thread

dinny_g

Re: The song/music thread

Post by dinny_g »

PaulJ wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:56 pm the band I never formed would have been called Teacake Addicts
The band I never formed we’re going to be called “Billy Ray and the Lasers”
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Delphi wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:42 am

This is pretty much a flawless live performance by a band at the top of their game fronted by probably the finest female singer on the planet. Floor Jansen is simply jaw dropping.
Ooooh. Haven't listened to that in a long time. Something for Thursday's hour-long drive to a customer.

When I get to choose the music, I tend to go for the classics: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Sort Sol, Metallica, Portishead (#1 on my list), Alannah Myles, D-A-D, Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, Tricky and Massive Attack. But I'll listen to quite a variety as the kids invariably want to listen to the latest pop thing.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

16vCento wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:39 pm American IV: The Man Comes Around

This is pizza making music right now 😎
Fantastic album!!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@Delphi Once was a great accompaniment to my morning run!
---
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

New Ithaca album came out last week, it's great. Going to see them and another band I really like called Pupil Slicer at the weekend. Can't wait tbh, first live show since before the pandemic.

An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

and now for something completely different...

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I'm still spending time Dj'ing at roller discos. I quite often turn down parties as I prefer the roller discos as it's more of a club atmosphere and parties inevitably turn into a YMCA type cheese fest to get drunk people out of their seats an onto the floor, where people skating want a good and consistent beat/rhythm to skate to (the worst thing is jumping around in BPM) and the club classics and R&B really work well.
Being a virtual DJ user i've really benefitted from the release of Stems technology in the product (well worth the £350 lifetime licence I paid), i've managed a remix which was achieved by combining elements of two versions of the same track to create something that suited me (I need tracks with proper intros and outros so I can mix them as skaters don't like continuous mixing and short tracks) I did post the remix of this is real on youtube when I did it. Not a lot of hits but I still quite like it and use it in my modern set mixes.

I quite often play the vocals from one track over the instrumental of another when I'm mixing it's a really good software package. I use it with a Denon MC7000 console and a Macbook pro, either through an EV (2 x 18" bass bins and 2 x 15" tops) or DB Technologies (1 x 18" Bandpass bassbin and 2 x 15" tops) active PA system.
When I wind down from work I've always fancied playing piano myself so I might make the effort learn but for now it remains a bit of a pipe dream.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Spotify is currently churning out a good daily mix: You Keep Me Hangin' On by Vanilla Fudge. She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult. Tangerine Dream Love on a Real Train. Jefferson Airplane White Rabbit. Ten Years After 50000 Miles Beneath My Brain. Manfred Mann Chapter Three Mister Youre a better man than I. Yes Owner of a Lonely Heart. Court of the Crimson King, Fleetwood Mac Albatross.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've been on a bit of a nostaliga trip recently - it just popped in my head one day that there were bands I'd listen to almost on constant rotation in my youth that I probably haven't listened to for 10, 15 maybe even 20 years.

One of those being the RHCPs. Stadium Arcadium remains the only album I've bought that I've taken back because I thought it was shit. And after a lacklustre gig in Manchester I sort of gave up on them. I was a huge fan of their early stuff - and I mean their early stuff, like RCHPs and Freaky Styley - but possibly my favourites were always Mother's Milk and One Hot Minute. I liked BSSM but it always felt a bit mainstream at the time.

Anyway - been streaming those three albums the last few days and my god, they are all absolute gold.

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:48 am I'm still spending time Dj'ing at roller discos. I quite often turn down parties as I prefer the roller discos as it's more of a club atmosphere and parties inevitably turn into a YMCA type cheese fest to get drunk people out of their seats an onto the floor, where people skating want a good and consistent beat/rhythm to skate to (the worst thing is jumping around in BPM) and the club classics and R&B really work well.
Being a virtual DJ user i've really benefitted from the release of Stems technology in the product (well worth the £350 lifetime licence I paid), i've managed a remix which was achieved by combining elements of two versions of the same track to create something that suited me (I need tracks with proper intros and outros so I can mix them as skaters don't like continuous mixing and short tracks) I did post the remix of this is real on youtube when I did it. Not a lot of hits but I still quite like it and use it in my modern set mixes.

I quite often play the vocals from one track over the instrumental of another when I'm mixing it's a really good software package. I use it with a Denon MC7000 console and a Macbook pro, either through an EV (2 x 18" bass bins and 2 x 15" tops) or DB Technologies (1 x 18" Bandpass bassbin and 2 x 15" tops) active PA system.
When I wind down from work I've always fancied playing piano myself so I might make the effort learn but for now it remains a bit of a pipe dream.
Nice :) have you been doing it for a long time? I was wondering about getting some kind of mixing setup to play with in the evenings. I don't really have any hobbies (aside from fitness and food, which are more like necessities than hobbies) and it feels like music is something that is easy to zone out with and get easily immersed, which is what I'd need in a hobby. I'm still a massive fan of loads of dance music genres, I often listen to psy-trance when I'm working because the beat keeps me sane :lol:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Three awesome isolated vocal tracks:

Kurt Cobain - Where did you sleep last night. Skip to around 2.45 for the raspy, dirty, chilling vocals.

George Michael - Careless Whisper. Skip to 2.30 to hear why George was the best vocalist of his generation

Rolling Stones & Merry Clayton - Gimme Shelter. Merry provided the backing vocals, proving that she's a far better singer than Jagger ever will be.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Gavster wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:27 am
drcarlos wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:48 am I'm still spending time Dj'ing at roller discos. I quite often turn down parties as I prefer the roller discos as it's more of a club atmosphere and parties inevitably turn into a YMCA type cheese fest to get drunk people out of their seats an onto the floor, where people skating want a good and consistent beat/rhythm to skate to (the worst thing is jumping around in BPM) and the club classics and R&B really work well.

Nice :) have you been doing it for a long time? I was wondering about getting some kind of mixing setup to play with in the evenings. I don't really have any hobbies (aside from fitness and food, which are more like necessities than hobbies) and it feels like music is something that is easy to zone out with and get easily immersed, which is what I'd need in a hobby. I'm still a massive fan of loads of dance music genres, I often listen to psy-trance when I'm working because the beat keeps me sane :lol:
8/9 years now on the PC thing consistently, I'd used old versions of pc DJ long, long ago without a console and had some decks back in the day.
I've been through a few consoles, but have used virtual DJ since I started with only minor foray into serato, I'm fully licensed for both but I learned to read the vdj waveforms which helps massively for cue point selection and serato is too alien to me. Vdj is just more intuitive and stems just elevate it was beyond serato, it's not cheap but they do a subscription version so you can try it for a few month before shelling out on a permanent licence.
Consoles aren't cheap but buying something half decent like a Denon mc4000 or pioneer ddj400 and instead of keep having to upgrade you'll have something that will see you from beginner to pro if you want to.
I make a broad assumption you have a MacBook, the m series apparently works really well for vdj but the older stuff takes a performance hit unless it has a GPU as stems processing is offloaded to the graphics card. You can still do it but initial processing of tracks is slower. PC works equally well again GPU helps. Serato works on pretty much anything as it doesn't have fancy features likes stems
Vdj also hooks into Deezer and tidal for streaming which is great for home use but I don't think Spotify does as it has the potential to break terms of service.
Feel free to ask questions, dance, race, club classics are my thing and I really love mixing the stuff and giving people a great party, massive buzz.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:19 am New Ithaca album came out last week, it's great. Going to see them and another band I really like called Pupil Slicer at the weekend. Can't wait tbh, first live show since before the pandemic.
I like that Ithaca track - I'll check more of it out. That Pupil Slicer track didn't really go anywhere for me.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Delphi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:25 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:19 am New Ithaca album came out last week, it's great. Going to see them and another band I really like called Pupil Slicer at the weekend. Can't wait tbh, first live show since before the pandemic.
I like that Ithaca track - I'll check more of it out. That Pupil Slicer track didn't really go anywhere for me.
Yeah Pupil Slicer are pretty much just noise, it's what I need some times :lol:

I think that Ithaca are going to be huge, definitely one of the best bands I've found over the last couple of years.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

YouTube randomly showed me the new Rammstein track which then led me down a rabbit hole of their best tracks, then veered off into Alien Ant Farm, Cardigans and other excellent 90s/00s track. Best game of football I've watched in a long time! Maybe all the games need a (mostly) metal soundtrack to liven things up.
---
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Had a ticket for Sikth tonight in Manchester but just cba heading into the city on my billy for it. Think I'm too old for that shit without a bit of support :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

Little bit obsessed with this channel for reasons that should be blindingly obvious if you have functional eyes and ears. Mostly teriffic covers.
https://www.youtube.com/@IMY2music/videos

Out of the million covers of Creep this is my favourite by far

This is a brilliant Metal version of Sultans of Swing (lots of other fun Metal covers on Leo's channel)

These guys are really good:
https://www.youtube.com/@theHindleyStre ... lub/videos

Marc Martel is a fantastic Freddie Mercury cover
https://www.youtube.com/@cramletram/videos

Love this Miley Cyrus cover of Jolene

Beautiful voice, stumbled across her on TikTok

Miley Cyrus/Metallica - this is really good
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

The version of nothing else matters sung by Miley on the blacklist album is quite the collaborative effort, with a nice piano intro from Elton John

I also quite like edge of midnight- Mileys midnight sky with Stevie Nicks edge of seventeen in a well done mash up, I know these aren’t to everyone’s taste though

On the theme of Metallica covers, I enjoy Mongolian metal band The Hu’s version of sad but true- if you’re not familiar with them they play with traditional Mongolian instruments and throat singing

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

For all her Shenanigans, Miley Cyrus really is a great singer…

So too is Katy Perry.

Don’t like their music but they sure can sing…