It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

mik

It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by mik »

For me the complaint about the Waitrose driver is ludicrous. If you cycle towards the centreline of the road (regardless of whether you are on your own, two or three abreast) then it’s pretty much impossible for traffic to pass you with a 1.5m gap - whether overtaking or going the other way.

So the “correct” action in that scenario is for following drivers to wait behind and not pass, and (not in this vid but applying this logic to a normal 2 lane carriageway) that drivers approaching from the other direction should stop and wait for the bike to pass safely?

This is getting very silly….

(Apologies for posting a JVine tweet)

ZedLeg

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, it's not a single lane road so the cyclist should've made sure to leave enough space for people in the other lane to safely pass. As you say, the only other option is the truck holding up traffic until the cyclists move over.
An absolute unit
dan

Post by dan »

Absolutely fucking mental.

Self preservation is my no.1 priority when i'm cycling, anyone with a brain wouldn't be that close to the white line anyway. Give yourself a chance.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

With my cyclist's hat on there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone is in their own lane and at that speed in that environment you should be expecting large traffic to pass you closely. If you're not comfortable with that, don't ride two abreast or close to the centre line when there's no need to. They weren't overtaking parked cars or anything.

The guy did flinch which makes me think he was chatting away and not paying attention so got a bit of a fright (relatively speaking) which can happen.
Cheers,

Mike.
John

Post by John »

At those speeds I’d have been fine with the position of the truck although I wouldn’t have been cycling so close to the white line. On my commuter bike I’ve got a small mirror that slots into the end of the bars so I can easily see what’s approaching from behind in advance.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

:evil:

That'll be a 3m lane - generally the narrowest for use by all vehicles as a general running lane. An HGV is 2.5m wide. What the fuck exactly did they expect the HGV to do? Hang back? Cross the centreline?

What annoys me the most about that cvnt Vine is that he gives cyclists a bad name and his nonsense only serves to build more division between cyclists and other road users. He seems to genuinely forget that it's EVERYONE's responsibilty to look out for each other ont he road, and that means riding safely oneself and appreciating that it might not be all that easy to thread a 2.5m wide 44t artic through the narrows lanes of a city centre, and some awareness from cunts like him might help everyone out.
mik

Post by mik »

All of what @Swervin_Mervin said.

The new Highway Code rules seem to have allowed the minority of cyclists actively looking for problems (a group which 100% includes Mr Vine) to revert to “what me? I’m just a VULNERABLE cyclist - it’s everyone else’s responsibility to take care of me”.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

The copper got it totally wrong, this is ludicrous.

I cycle down that part of Great Eastern Street all the time and the correct course of action is to jump in behind the lorry and slipstream behind it before slingshotting through a red light at the Old Streeet (not a) roundabout.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Not sure what JV thinks should happen.. arrogant arsehole. 🙄

Don’t think you’re going to get an argument out of people over this Mik.. 😉
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavster wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:14 am The copper got it totally wrong, this is ludicrous.

I cycle down that part of Great Eastern Street all the time and the correct course of action is to jump in behind the lorry and slipstream behind it before slingshotting through a red light at the Old Streeet (not a) roundabout.
Make sure you're riding a track fixie with no breaks so that by the time you run a red light at 50mph, there's no way you'll be able to avoid the pedestrians crossing the road.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Vine is somehow managing to piss off cyclists and motorists with stuff like that. Its a narrow cycle lane, but with nothing parked in it on that stretch, so I'd quite happily cycle more towards the left hand side of the land to let traffic flow. Of course I'd move out towards the right hand side if I had to, but if you sit in that position all the time and insist on the 1.5m safe overtaking distance, you'd be stopping all traffic getting anywhere.
Cheers,

Mike.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I don't need to watch the video... cyclists fault :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

If you picture a car in the position he’s put himself in they’d have just lost their wing mirror.

He shows appalling spacial awareness and appalling road positioning. And in his job he should know better
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

MikeHunt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:28 pm I don't need to watch the video... cyclists fault :lol:
I disagree, having watched it a few more times it's definitely the snowboarders fault
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jesus wept.
Someone just run the tosser over already.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:16 pm Jesus wept.
Someone just run the tosser over already.
Don’t give him validation. He’s be insufferable even in death
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

The first truck appeared to give more room, but possible that the lanes narrowed but was he wrong to say that the wheels were touching or over the line? Ironic that the police cyclist was talking about due car :D
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Some people seem to prioritise making a point of being right over self preservation
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Errr, what was he doing?! 🤣