It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by Gavster »

Ignorance of the taxi indicating 🤦‍♂️

Otherwise his riding was making the best of a bad situation and while he might have been filtering like a nobhead, I approve of that when you're amongst traffic that's doing <5mph, e.g. anywhere in London.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That bit with the taxi made me wince. I agree with Gav though, pretty standard town riding. At least he didn't hop up on to the pavement and hit a pedestrian.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I saw that video earlier and have no idea why you'd post something like that online as its only going to get people calling you out for riding like a dick, whether people do it or not.

Just back from a road ride down the coast and like someone said earlier, I think it was @Gavster, most cars give me more than enough room, but its still on the "too close" side by the letter of the law, especially on faster roads. So I'm fine with that, but its not great for new or less confident riders.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

We haven’t had one of these for a while.

Posting mainly because Jeremy Vile used the term “petrosexual”.

KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Whether he's right or wrong, I don't think I'd be putting my child infront of me like that. People can be cunts against other cars so I wouldn't be putting them in that position to start with.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I wish I had the time to wear a GoPro and upload every time a car drives like a cunt near me however there's simply not enough hours in the day. Recently had some cunt try to run me down at a junction because apparently I should have been "in the cycle lane". There is no cycle lane within a mile of that junction 😂

Besides, I don't think these GoPro vids are very useful, the wide angle lenses distort the field of view so hugely that it becomes incredibly difficult to truly judge the closing gaps when viewed onlinbe, which only fuels the divisive nature of them.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I get that the car might be in the wrong by the letter of the law but I don’t think they did anything dangerous.

I don’t know if 5 is too young to learn about road cycling?
An absolute unit
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:52 am
I wouldn't trust my 6 year old to make the right decision if a car was getting too close to her on the road, or even if she was technically in the wrong, she might not be able to make that split second decision to stop quickly.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

KevH18 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:00 am
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:52 am
I wouldn't trust my 6 year old to make the right decision if a car was getting too close to her on the road, or even if she was technically in the wrong, she might not be able to make that split second decision to stop quickly.
Didn't trust mine until they were much older and able to assess situations for themselves and respond accordingly.

It's all very well arguing about who's in the right and wrong but when only one of the parties is capable of assessing and making the decision correctly you cut the odds severely and then it doesn't matter who right and wrong if a child is killed.

Children need to be guided and they always followed me until they were about 9/10.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Five is really young to be riding on roads full stop. And to be out in front instead of following? There's nice big pavements there, why not have the child on the pavement cycling beside the adult?
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:17 am Five is really young to be riding on roads full stop. And to be out in front instead of following? There's nice big pavements there, why not have the child on the pavement cycling beside the adult?
Because they have RIGHTS goddamnit!!! And Right on their side!!!!!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:17 am Five is really young to be riding on roads full stop. And to be out in front instead of following? There's nice big pavements there, why not have the child on the pavement cycling beside the adult?
One of those parents who religiously follows what they are told (I believe it's illegal to cycle on the path at any age) rather than using their head, assessing the situation, performing a risk assessment and breaking a few stupid (IMO) rules. I'd bet there wouldn't be a single police officer that would prosecute on that.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:52 am I get that the car might be in the wrong by the letter of the law but I don’t think they did anything dangerous.
Gavster is right about the distortion you get from the camera, but even allowing for that I don't think the driver was wrong in law. Both cyclist and oncoming car have to overtake parked cars. The oncoming car is established in the middle of the road and the cyclist isn't yet alongside any parked vehicles, and would not be able to make it to pull in after them before reaching the pinch point.

If it were me on my bike, I'd have continued riding and accelerated a bit because there's enough space (even if there isn't 1.5m) and I'd probably say something out loud when the car got a bit close, but I'm an adult so I choose my own risks. If I were feeling knackered and risk averse, I'd give way to the car. I'd not upload it and share it with Jeremy fucking Vine.

As for the 1.5m thing, I passed a couple of cyclists going the other way on a narrow B-road at the weekend. They were two abreast, entirely in their lane; I was entirely in my lane. There was nowhere near 1.5m between us. Neither I did anything illegal or unusual. While I condone the efforts to make car drivers give space when they overtake, that's only to educate the thick who don't even pull out at all. And I say this as a cyclist :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That's why I said might, as I knew someone would pay more attention than I did.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Now I've had a read of the Twitter comments, in particular from the parent who filmed it, I can see this is the sort of person who would rather take a risk because they're 'in the right' instead of being in any way cognisant of the potential outcome. Fucking entitled idiot.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My boy is 5, I still get jittery walking on pavements when cars go past a bit fast.
mik

Post by mik »

The approaching car is squeezed tight up against the parked cars, and my first thought was that he was rolling at around 10mph. Have now paused the vid and guesstimated distance travelled over time and I think it's somewhere around 4m/s which is 8.9mph. Even if my guesstimate is out by 50%, that is 13mph....

As noted in comments above - the hardcore cycling fraternity (I say this as a cyclist who doesn't feel part of that) are latched fully onto "it's my right" at the moment.

Our roads - particularly in more urban environments - require users to work together. There is a stretch of road near me - 30mph limit - where the traffic flows fine at 30mph in both directions despite cars always being parked on one side of the road. Everyone travelling in the direction that has 150+m of parked-vehicles obstruction moves out, over the centreline, and continues. Everyone coming the other way moves over to the left side of their (pretty wide) lane to accommodate the traffic coming the other way. Any of them could execute their absolute right to drive in the middle of their lane, and either prevent the flow of traffic in the other direction, or bring everything to a halt. But they don't. Of course.

In theory the coonsil could mark the road up with clear parking on one side, and shift the road centreline accordingly. But current road user behaviour wouldn't be affected. It would be very easy however for me to cycle down the middle of the lane and create a video of all the selfish car maniacs close-passing me as they selfishly overtake parked cars like selfish maniac oil lovers.

Nobody is saying you don't get idiot car drivers. Cos you do. I have seen them, from the relative safety of my car, and from the relatively poor safety of my saddle. And of course cyclists are more vulnerable so other road users need to be more circumspect. But when I am on my bike I feel I also have a responsibility to keep myself safe.

I'm failing to see what the issue is in this video. Yes the car could have stopped, but they make a significant effort to create space for the other road user as they trundle past at a very slow speed. There is no particularly close pass, despite the cyclist not making any significant effort to create space for the other road user. Mainly cos that cyclist is 5. There seems to be an expectation that the car driver should have applied further caution as they should have assessed the situation and realised that this was clearly a youngster and therefore even more vulnerable.

Outrage seems misplaced to me.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

If I was in the car I'd probably have stopped because of what tiny kids can do with no warning... and shaken my head at the adult because I think they're being a dick or trying to prove a point.

Like you say @Jobbo, when I'm out on the bike, the vast majority of cars overtake me with enough space that I'm not in any danger and not bothered. It's not the full 1.5m, but it's "enough."

I do get pissy with drivers who insist on passing me like that when I'm on a two-lane road with nothing coming the other way and those who do something stupid, but in built-up areas where speeds are lower and I can judge things, I'm happier to have less distance between me and cars because we're all adults and can use common sense.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:52 am My boy is 5, I still get jittery walking on pavements when cars go past a bit fast.
Yeah this. My 6yo is still in the phase where he needs a good strong telling/reminder when it comes to crossing the road (he's usually too busy talking).

In this instance I can't see what else the driver could have done. They were going DEAD SLOW as the warrior suggests they should, and they were also fairly bloody close to those parked cars. They'd have been within their rights to be passing those with a good margin and it was their right of way at the point where the filming starts. That kid looks like he's one wobble away from face-planting the front of that car and that would have happened even if the driver had stopped. Whose fault would the parent think it was then?

Ultimately though, it looks like damned good riding on the part of the child, good driving on the part of the car driver. A non-incident that the parent is seeking to exploit because they like shouting at the world.
mik

Post by mik »

Surrey Police twatter comment. They imply that the priority for the traffic-calming point also applies after the traffic-calming point (?)