Should I be getting paid for appearing on a TV documentary?

DeskJockey

Re: Should I be getting paid for appearing on a TV documentary?

Post by DeskJockey »

Reason my other venture into TV ended up on the cutting room floor was that they wanted me there for two days to do an inside/outside continuity shot. First day was a bank holiday so I didn't mind the £30, but the second day was a normal working day and I wasn't going to waste a day of annual leave for £30. Hence with continuity broken the scene was dropped.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:34 am £50??? £50 per day - I was only offered £25 per day to appear in Circle of Friends - Parts were filmed at my uni. In the end my hair was too short and not "of period" so I wasn't chosen

My mate did and described it is you do. Stuck in a costume and told to stand around for 6 or 8 hours. No water, no food, no toilet breaks. You had to be ready in case the director wanted you.
We had amazing catering but it was a big budget film.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I once pretended to be the plumber for this young lady in distress because her kitchen sink had a problem. Scene only lasted 15 minutes too but was quite a workout 😉
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 am I once pretended to be the plumber for this young lady in distress because her kitchen sink had a problem. Scene only lasted 15 seconds too but was quite a workout 😉
EFA
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:45 am @dinny_g: the documentary traces the history of the wedding veil that the (now) crown Princess of Denmark wore at her wedding. I guess someone thought it interesting that an Australian (with Scottish heritage) marrying a Dane would wear Irish lace.
It's a thing apparently - Kate Middleton wore Irish Lace when she married Prince William.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

My hands appeared in that episode of Hidden Restaurants that ExWife2 was in. I was paid in steak.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:45 am
@V8Granite : what had been done to the poor lady's hindquarters to make them shiny though for you to see your reflection?
A spatula, rum and a scant disregard for coffee table etiquette, rum everywhere.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:53 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:45 am @dinny_g: the documentary traces the history of the wedding veil that the (now) crown Princess of Denmark wore at her wedding. I guess someone thought it interesting that an Australian (with Scottish heritage) marrying a Dane would wear Irish lace.
It's a thing apparently - Kate Middleton wore Irish Lace when she married Prince William.
It is. Goes back to the Connaught (hence the name) line. ISTR the veil that the crown Princess wore had only previously been worn by those born into royalty and there was a (minor) story about the Danish Queen breaking tradition by letting her wear it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I think a lot of people here are assuming a tiny very niche documentary has a multi-million pound budget and all the staff are swanning around in diamond shoes and exotic hyper cars :lol:

For a short interview you’ll be lucky to get lunch. And by lunch, I mean the £2.99 meal deal in a dubious fried chicken establishment.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:29 pm I think a lot of people here are assuming a tiny very niche documentary has a multi-million pound budget and all the staff are swanning around in diamond shoes and exotic hyper cars :lol:

For a short interview you’ll be lucky to get lunch. And by lunch, I mean the £2.99 meal deal in a dubious fried chicken establishment.
Well I said a fiver!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:33 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:29 pm I think a lot of people here are assuming a tiny very niche documentary has a multi-million pound budget and all the staff are swanning around in diamond shoes and exotic hyper cars :lol:

Well I said a fiver!
Yeah, but you’ve got experience of this, your views don’t count !!
tim

Post by tim »

I was asked by ITV to provide two animal cycle helmets for Ant n Dec (large, obvs) to wear in one of their Saturday night TV things. I was promised a credit in the credits.

They didn't wear them, I didn't get a credit, they didn't pay for or return the goods. Fuck 'em.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

There's an awful lot of money sloshing around all TV stuff. And an awful lot of pisstakers. Unfortunately, like most trades, a disproportionate amount goes to the wrong people, leaving the dregs left for the hard workers, so people are leaned on to get freebies.

There is money. You just have to act like a cunt to get it.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Press Association have approached me for a story and I thought of this thread so have asked for a payment, will see what they come back with :)
mik

Post by mik »

mik

Post by mik »

I finally watched this last night.

https://www.channel5.com/show/the-kidna ... nda-spence

1. It's a bloody grim story. No light-hearted viewing. :? And it drags on somewhat.
2. Pete appears (avec rather splendid 'tache 8-) ) for a brief period around 7mins in, and.... that's all the footage they used. They don't even give any context to his input.