The juciest petrol?

Zonda_

The juciest petrol?

Post by Zonda_ »

Which brand is regarded as being the best for super unleaded? Ive been used to buying diesel so I'm not up on it. I'm getting the Jag remapped and they recommended running a couple of tanks of Super through first then mapping it. I put some in at my local place (unbranded) and noticed it was only 97 octane, some are 99 are they not?
mik

Re: The juciest petrol?

Post by mik »

I think Shell V-Power and Tesco99 are the only ones that claim 99RON?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

V-Power ftw; in one of the tests I saw way back when, they got a higher torque figure with it than the other fuels tested.
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:15 am I think Shell V-Power and Tesco99 are the only ones that claim 99RON?
Is Tesco's super supplied by Esso? I think their 'supreme' may also 99 RON but perhaps isn't consistent as I think the small local Esso filling station near us has 97 RON super.

I would vote Shell for most reliably good quality super. Paying SUL prices for 97 RON is a complete rip off!

ETA: this reminds me of this clip re Russian petrol with an Octane rating of 76 :lol:

mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Esso Supreme 99 is supposed to have the lowest proportion of ethanol. Bro runs that in his GR Yaris.

Take care that if they map it aggressively on any 'Super' then it will likely rule out being able to run the car on 95/10% stuff if you ever needed to. Unless they can provide switchable maps or sommat.

Cheers,
Jon
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

mr_jon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:36 am Esso Supreme 99 is supposed to have the lowest proportion of ethanol. Bro runs that in his GR Yaris.

Take care that if they map it aggressively on any 'Super' then it will likely rule out being able to run the car on 95/10% stuff if you ever needed to. Unless they can provide switchable maps or sommat.

Cheers,
Jon
I would second this. A mate had his supercharged VXR8 mapped for super and it was a nightmare doing the NC500 as he was constantly concerned about where he could get good fuel from. He ended up taking a couple of jerry cans as a back up. It didn't help that he was only averaging 16-18mpg....!

The alternative would be octane booster. I can recommend the Royal Purple Max Boost.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

As there's a Shell garage I have to drive past whenever I take it out, the 928 has a strict V-Power only diet. That and the fact any regular E10 fuel will kill it eventually.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I always ran my S60 on V Power, it was mapped for 99 ron and it was fine, didn't detect knock at full load at 7k RPM so it must be decent stuff.

I had to use normal fuel a couple of times and as long as you don't go WOT or be silly it would be fine.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Surely they will run full knock control anyway ?

I’ve found Shell to be consistently good and the only super I ever noticed a difference with was Tescos 99 and that was only with fuel economy.

Just put in the fuel you get easily where you are and have it mapped for that.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Tesco 99 for me, 645 likes it better and its 11p per litre cheaper than V power usually.
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mito Man wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:37 pm Tesco 99 for me, 645 likes it better and its 11p per litre cheaper than V power usually.
Ive run every performance car ive had for years on Tesco 99.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I was fussy on the e46 and e92 M3s, because it did make a difference to the way they ran - no difference on the M2.

It won't make a blind bit of difference on a 2.0 T!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V-Power is an oocasional treat for our cars, but generally hte best advice is to find one that's busy - fresh 97RON will be much much better than stale 99Ron
mik

Post by mik »

mikeyb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:53 am A mate had his supercharged VXR8 mapped for super and it was a nightmare doing the NC500 as he was constantly concerned about where he could get good fuel from.
The alternative would be octane booster. I can recommend the Royal Purple Max Boost.
I always carry a bottle of octane booster when I drive pop north. Just in case… (for the Evora - the (not supercharged) VXR8 would happily run anything).
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:55 pm I was fussy on the e46 and e92 M3s, because it did make a difference to the way they ran - no difference on the M2.

It certainly will of its mapped for it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

16vCento wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:37 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:55 pm I was fussy on the e46 and e92 M3s, because it did make a difference to the way they ran - no difference on the M2.

It certainly will of its mapped for it.
what, shell V esso? Bullshit!
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Not brand wise, but not all super is 99, some are 97.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

As an aside, where have you found to remap it? I didn't know much was happening tuning wise with the ingenium engined ones, only the early Ecoboost engined ones?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

mikeyb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:53 am
mr_jon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:36 am Esso Supreme 99 is supposed to have the lowest proportion of ethanol. Bro runs that in his GR Yaris.

Cheers,
Jon
I would second this. A mate had his supercharged VXR8 mapped for super and it was a nightmare doing the NC500 as he was constantly concerned about where he could get good fuel from. He ended up taking a couple of jerry cans as a back up. It didn't help that he was only averaging 16-18mpg....!

TVR's mapped on super and it will still run on 95, it's down on power and won't rev out but for daily driving it's perfectly fine. I'll only ever put it in if I can't get any other fuel but the odd tank won't hurt it.
I used to run the WRX (and that was aggressively mapped and modded) on SUL and just kept a bottle of millers octane boost in the boot in case I needed to use regular unleaded. I ran it without a couple of time and as long as you stay off hard boost it was fine.
V-power and Tesco Momentum always produced the best results in the WRX, BP the most flat. I use generally Esso and it was middling but both cars mapped on it as it's what in the village.
mik

Post by mik »

Anything mapped for 99 will run on 95 - as already stated everything current has Knock sensors and will pull the timing back as needed for lower grade fuels to avoid detonation.

The issue (as stressed to me by (my boyfriend) Andy Forrest) is that once that has happened it takes a long time for the car to revert back to the intended timing - it doesn’t happen as soon as you put another tanks of SUL in, so you are down on power (and might die).