Ukraine

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Ukraine

Post by Sundayjumper »

The list of references is longer than the paper !!

For the TL;DR amongst us:

FIG. 1: Time dependence of FAO Food Price Index from January 2004 to May 2011. Red dashed vertical lines correspond to beginning dates of “food riots” and protests associated with the major recent unrest in North Africa and the Middle East. The overall death toll is reported in parentheses [26–55]. Blue vertical line indicates the date, December 13, 2010, on which we submitted a report to the U.S. government, warning of the link between food prices, social unrest and political instability [56]. Inset shows FAO Food Price Index from 1990 to 2011.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Who would have thought that if people go hungry they get angry.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Seen this a few times today - reportedly recent footage of T62s being sent to Ukraine.

They don't even have reactive armour, that's how old they are.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Wikipedia says Russia stopped building them in 1975.
Beany

Post by Beany »

These are a bit newer than a T-62 and quite capable of blowing holes in them.

Crowdfunded by the public

If NATO won't step up to the mark I suppose ...
Simon

Post by Simon »

From what I've read of late, a post curry fart could blow a hole in a T-62.

I look forward to Twitter being full of Ukrainian army drone vids of T-62s meeting their timely demise with maximum unscheduled rapid disassembly.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

To be fair, a recoilless rifle - remember those? - can open up a T-62 so a Barry shouldn't have any problems.

They mostly don't even have reactive armour, which is the No1 way of stopping anti tank weaponry.

Other rumours are that Chechens are being forced into fighting in Ukraine. The usual suspects are saying that CHECHENS NEVER GET FORCED INTO ANYTHING but that was 20 years ago before Kadyrov took over and turned then into a PR arm of the Russian military.... The TikTok brigade, firing down empty streets, etc.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Follow up to the drone tweet...

I don't know what the ukranian equivalent of a knighthood is, but the team running social media for Ukraine deserve one.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Saw this on the Reddit Ukraine live thread. Lada with no safety equipment anyone?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Incredible. The Kremlin has a bizarre ability to shrug these things off as being totally acceptable.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They should call it the Lada GT3 and sell it for more.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:58 pm They're saying 10 weeks but a friend from work got her's in 6. Came through last week. This was an electronic renewal if that's any consequence.

We've renewed Mini-dinny's last week but don't need until the middle of August so plenty of time
Passport arrived this morning - 4 weeks from submission to passport. So nowhere near the 10 weeks that the Fail are bleating on about.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I did mine on 19th May, so I’m on about 3.5 weeks so far.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:56 pm
dinny_g wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:58 pm They're saying 10 weeks but a friend from work got her's in 6. Came through last week. This was an electronic renewal if that's any consequence.

We've renewed Mini-dinny's last week but don't need until the middle of August so plenty of time
Passport arrived this morning - 4 weeks from submission to passport. So nowhere near the 10 weeks that the Fail are bleating on about.
I did mine recently and it was 5 weeks if memory serves.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Russian journalist Dimitri Muratov auctioned his 2021 Nobel Peace Prize to donate funds to Ukraine and the bidding went... :shock:

Beany

Post by Beany »

Today in Ukraine

Russia dropped two rockets on a high value military target. AKA the local Sainsbury's equivalent. In the middle of the day, when it was quite busy. Reports of anything from one dead to scores dead, and scores injured to hundreds injured (recovery efforts are still ongoing, so numbers are a bit vague at best, but the place was far from empty by all accounts)

Russia, obviously, claims Ukraine fired rockets at it's own civilian population. As it would.

Unrelated I believe, but still interesting, over the last month, Lithuania and Ukrainians have raised some $20m via crowdfunding so they can 'shut up and take my money' in the direction of Baykar, makers of the TB2 attack UAV that's been so popular in Ukraine due to it's ability to turn Russian tanks into art installations (interesting to look at but practically useless) and Russian soldiers into greasy smears on the landscape.

Bakyar have told them to take thier money and do something more productive with it, like humanitarian aid.

Because they're giving Ukraine a few TB2s free, gratis and for nowt, because Fuck Ivan.

Beany

Post by Beany »

So, err, seems Bernie Ecclestone had some "opinions" about Ukraine/Russia.

Like that he'd take a bullet for Putin, and that the conflict was 'unintentional' he also had no comment about the alleged recent racist remarks in F1.

So, retirement soon, presumably....
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

£1bn in aid today. The gammons must be fucking raging!
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oof.

Why does Bernie sound like he's having a bad come down from a night of disco biscuits?

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Wow.