Mattress recommendations please!

KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Re: Mattress recommendations please!

Post by KiwiDave »

mik wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:01 am Duck feather duvet here.

Took about 6 months to stop gently crunching as you moved it, but it’s superb.
This. We have one and it's almost never too cold or too hot and it feels squishy and great too.

None of my other recommendations will mean anything as the brands will be all different, but memory foam topped pocket sprung orthopedic mattresses for the win.

Still searching for the correct pillow setup though and my neck knows about it.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Spookily, a duck feather duvet is on today's exciting shopping list....
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

@Ascender - We have the one from John Lewis - it’s good value compared to others out there and free delivery (from memory).

Edit: https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-pa ... og/p441475
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:17 am @Ascender - We have the one from John Lewis - it’s good value compared to others out there and free delivery (from memory).

Aye, we've the JL ones. Usually the special buy ones actually but not sure they've done them this year.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:17 am @Ascender - We have the one from John Lewis - it’s good value compared to others out there and free delivery (from memory).

Ordered! Was the one I was looking at and came up first on my search.

Thanks @mik and @Swervin_Mervin.

The ov9 forum, getting shit done.

Right, what's next?
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Firm mattress, quality mattress topper, basic cotton flat sheet followed by quality fitted top sheet.

Goose down quilt 1 size bigger than your bed and 4 pillows with thick Egyptian cotton covers but all pillows need a cheap inner cover too.

Then furious love making before bed for a restful night.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:16 pm Firm mattress, quality mattress topper, basic cotton flat sheet followed by quality fitted top sheet.
So you get a mattress, then you put another on top of it. Then you cover that with a sheet, then cover that with a sheet. Why? Do you not find there are wrinkles in the undersheet the day after you change the bed?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Don't want the furious love making to stain the £8k mattress.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:54 pm
V8Granite wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:16 pm Firm mattress, quality mattress topper, basic cotton flat sheet followed by quality fitted top sheet.
So you get a mattress, then you put another on top of it. Then you cover that with a sheet, then cover that with a sheet. Why? Do you not find there are wrinkles in the undersheet the day after you change the bed?
Not at all, I was against the mattress topper , basically a thin quilt, but after having one on a holiday cottage have been sold on the idea. It’s lovely.

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

And they protect your investment.

Even the best of us is only one bout of stomach flu away from destroying an unprotected mattress !
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Insurance - shitting the bed doesn’t happen many times in your life 😄
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

:lol:

A sheet on a sheet is a new one on me.
mik

Post by mik »

Bad Obsession Motorsport Bedding Dept would never accept a sheet on a sheet.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

What price comfort boys 😎

Dave!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

simon_g wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:19 pm Hypnos make the Premier Inn beds, you can buy the same direct if you wanted. https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/sleep/buy-our-bed.html
Just checked that and they're stopping selling them in 10 days. It looks like a good deal too, at £599 for a King Size with topper.

I've been having a problem with lower back pain since the summer. The Osteo had a look and started working on it. I also slept in my spare room (v. firm sprung mattress) as opposed to my 10+ year old, soft and saggy Tempur.

Oh. My. God.

After just one night my body feels loads better. Jesus. Gotta get rid of that Tempur nonsense ASAP. Worst value mattress EVER.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I reckon the Premier Inn mattress is a good deal, but it's by no means unmatched elsewhere. The topper is integral so it can't be replaced and prevents you turning the mattress, for a start.

Not very helpful to you but for the best part of 20 years I've bought almost every bed (and I've bought quite a few) from the Bed Factory in Leamington Spa. The one I haven't had from there came from Feather & Black and has been more problematic (dips forming very quickly in the mattress for instance). Definitely worth finding an independent bed shop and getting advice.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Late to this but when we moved a few months ago we decided to get a new bed and mattress. Despite being 7 years old, our mattress was still great (bought it from Bensons after trying literally every mattress in store and several other stores), but we wanted a king size bed. Ended up buying the Emma mattress and it's been great. One thing I realised is that for me, any mattress with springs in is a no-no.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

We've just gone Vispring. Super-king. It is the fvcking awesome.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Hypnos have a good rep. I would also recommend Sleepezee. Not cheap but ours are very good (Memory Comfort 800 I believe). Also as I've got older I've ended up moving towards softer sprung mattress to avoid backache!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

GG. wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:16 pm Hypnos have a good rep. I would also recommend Sleepezee. Not cheap but ours are very good (Memory Comfort 800 I believe). Also as I've got older I've ended up moving towards softer sprung mattress to avoid backache!
You find that softer is better for your back? I'm specifically avoiding softness to help my back!