Novax Novak

Simon

Novax Novak

Post by Simon »

Noone talking about this? Sweet justice for the antivaxer IMO.

The ultimate 'fuck around and find out'

Here's Ros on the story before he was just denied.

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Re: Novax Novak

Post by Mito Man »

I’m surprised that he didn’t just get pretend to get the vaccine. He has his own personal doctor who he must be good mates with…
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Utterly ridiculous that he was given any “pardon” in the first place. Correct result, but there appears to be lots of blame game ensuing now.

PS : fine that he doesn’t want the vax. But then accept the restrictions associated with that choice.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

It was an eye poppingly terrible decision in the first place, presumably motivated by viewing figures. Setting a terrible example for fans and the world by vindicating his frankly bonkers health views. The only sad thing is that it has taken a domestic backlash and a lucky break on the incorrect visa application to reverse it.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Have any of you ever watched “nothing to declare”?

He was given the exemption by the tennis board but then still had to pass immigration. No one passes immigration when they go into one of those interview rooms :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

mik wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:12 am fine that he doesn’t want the vax. But then accept the restrictions associated with that choice.
Mik is correct…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'm no fan of the whole excluding anti-vaxxers ideas in general, but abiding by the immunisation rules of different countries for immigration is hardly a new thing. I've had to have loads of jabs and pills (hepatitis, rabies, yellow fever, malaria, etc...) over the years to get visas - so if that's the rules for that country, tough luck.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I found out yesterday that another friend of mine has refused the vaccination on "safety" grounds (her view being it's not been tested enough)

I asked her why now, and why this vaccine specifically has caused her to suddenly take interest in the development and testing process (where she's never been inclined to do that before, for any other form of medication she's ever taken)

She didn't really have an answer

We continued to talk about things and it resulted in her saying she was going to vaccinated - if not just for herself, but also so she's less of a potential burden/risk to others, the NHS etc
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I've had a few mates who've pushed back on the booster jabs for the same sort of reasons as Broccers. One is my step brother (top guy, I'm definitely not slagging him off here), who got covid at Christmas along with my dad and his mum (both had 3 jabs). He's been in bed for a week with it, whereas my 75 yo dad and his wife have barely had a sniffle.

Same at my work - a couple of our top directors are anti-vax - and have both caught covid previously and suffered badly. They're both intelligent guys, so I respect that they have their reasons, but I can't see them.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Most people I know who won't get vaccinated would probably get vaccinated if we currently had a Labour government. And I'm not joking...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I've had a few mates who've pushed back on the booster jabs for the same sort of reasons as Broccers. One is my step brother (top guy, I'm definitely not slagging him off here), who got covid at Christmas along with my dad and his mum (both had 3 jabs). He's been in bed for a week with it, whereas my 75 yo dad and his wife have barely had a sniffle.

Same at my work - a couple of our top directors are anti-vax - and have both caught covid previously and suffered badly. They're both intelligent guys, so I respect that they have their reasons, but I can't see them.
This is the choice as i see it. Take the vax and have less symptoms or gamble not having it in the hope you wont get it bad. The gamble however seems to be entirely random as to how you will be affected.

Good mate of mine had it un-vaxxed at the start of the pandemic (Prior to the vax being available) he had it bad and ended up in hospital. Fit bloke mid 40's no underlying health issues. Took him a good 6-8 weeks for recovery. With the latest variant reportedly milder the non-vaxers may be less affected.

Im not entirely sure i agree with 3 monthly boosters though. Mrs A had some pretty bad symptoms of the vaccine due to being jabbed too far up her arm. Days of unbearable pain. That said it wasnt life threatening. The thought of our household getting it bad and then having to deal with our youngest who has ADHD doesn't seem doable.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

It's a balance, but the side effect profile (for me personally) is outweighed heavily by the risks of getting severe covid, long covid or passing it to either my frail elderly parents or my patients. For a lot of people, it somehow seems like the risks of side effects are greater than the risks of covid, which I don't think is true (both in terms of frequency and severity).

Oh yeah and I have to have it for work now...

I agree that it's up to each person to weigh the risks and benefits for themselves. Although I think quite a few of those who choose to be anti-vax are doing it based on false information or dubious health beliefs; which is ok if it is a decision that only affects your health but not if it is going to affect the health of those around you.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:33 am or passing it to either my frail elderly parents or my patients.
I think that's the main argument that a lot of people have - the vaccine doesn't stop that.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:35 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:33 am or passing it to either my frail elderly parents or my patients.
I think that's the main argument that a lot of people have - the vaccine doesn't stop that.
At the risk of re-hashing arguments from the 'rona thread, yes and no but more yes than no.

There is no randomized controlled trial evidence supporting the argument that vaccination reduces transmission, as this has yet to be studied in a trial.

However, there are several published observational studies showing reduction in household transmission from vaccinated individuals. These are published in reputable journals such as the New England Journal of Medicine and Lancet:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2106757
https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2107717
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lani ... 4/fulltext

Arguably, these are subject to confounding (vaccinated individuals are more likely to adopt other behaviours which will reduce transmission) and they represent household data rather than hospital based data. However, it is biologically plausible that vaccination will reduce transmission (less likely to catch it in the first place, reduction of viral load) so these data make sense to me.

So while there isn't concrete and irrevertible proof, there is a growing body of evidence that would support this view.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:45 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:35 am

So while there isn't concrete and irrevertible proof, there is a growing body of evidence that would support this view.
Which is fine, but then it's swept through a significant proprtion of the vaccinated population in the last 2 months. Which would suggest that it doesn't have much bearing on transmission at all. What did they quote yesterday? 1 in 15 of the population has had it in the last month alone?

I'm still on the fence about boosters, but now that I've passed the 28 day limit I'll probably get my 3rd one booked at least. More than anything, for travel purposes tbh!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Again, anecdotal but last year, in the early part of the year, for everyone I know, if one got it, they all got it. Everyone in the house or everyone in the office etc.

Now, I know loads of people who have tested positive and no-one else in the house has tested, despite mingling quite a bit.

Now I don't know if this is Vaccinated people less likely to pass it on or vaccinated people less likely to catch it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I reckon his mistake was tweeting about going unvaxed. Pretty stupid.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Is the vaccine designed to reduce the spread though?

Or just reduce the impact of having the virus?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:45 am Arguably, these are subject to confounding...

:D
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

DaveE wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:23 pm Is the vaccine designed to reduce the spread though?

Or just reduce the impact of having the virus?
I always understood it was to reduce the impact, i.e. keep you out of hospital. The transmission reduction was just a bonus.
Cheers.

Gwaredd