At least 30 asylum seekers die after dinghy capsizes in Channel.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: At least 30 asylum seekers die after dinghy capsizes in Channel.

Post by Jobbo »

Do you think Priti Patel will have any emotional reaction at all to this?
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I think it's really quite sad and a massive waste of life. I don't really have the answers though.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:39 pm Do you think Priti Patel will have any emotional reaction at all to this?
Her reaction will likely be on her onlyfans, as the evil little cunt is probably frotting herself off to the footage.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Two people have been rescued alive :o
I think that's everyone accounted for now.
Beany wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:23 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:39 pm Do you think Priti Patel will have any emotional reaction at all to this?
Her reaction will likely be on her onlyfans, as the evil little cunt is probably frottin' herself off to the footage.
EFActually[/] :evil:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I had to Google that. Christ you get up to some weird shit Beany.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Perhaps she should target the ruthless criminal gangs not the asylum seekers risking their lives to get here then.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:33 am Perhaps she should target the ruthless criminal gangs not the asylum seekers risking their lives to get here then.
There's been quite a few arrested this year so they must be doing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/1123 ... ng-france/

End of the day it's a choice to get on those boats.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

If you click through to Twitter, you'll see a very sensible suggestion that giving safe passage to asylum seekers would avoid this happening, with the happy corollary of eliminating the ruthless criminal gangs' business model.

Broccers, just so you know: letting them get here without drowning does not imply they're entitled to asylum, it's just human decency. Priti Patel is bad at that part.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I dont get the sympathy with these people. France isnt a danger to their lives. Go through the proper channels, not a cold freezing one that will kill you.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:41 am I dont get the sympathy with these people.
I think a bit of sympathy for 31 dead might be in order, no matter how much you don't have any empathy for the reason behind their perilous journey.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

"these people" general term.

It's not vital life or death to get in those boats or lorries

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-55765213

Hopefully the perps get decent sentences.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:38 am If you click through to Twitter, you'll see a very sensible suggestion that giving safe passage to asylum seekers would avoid this happening,
I don't have twitter so what are these suggestions ?

I've been wracking my brain trying to think about it and all I can think of is chartering Ferries and collecting anyone who wants to come here from the harbour- but then what ? Transporting them to illegal migrant Detention Centres and then deporting them back to their home country - where they are NOT safe. We can't deport them back to France ? They can't ALL stay

This is a fucking horrible situation...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yep, what's the solution proposed on Twitter? If offering safe passage over just results in eventual sending back, surely the same illegal routes will carry on being offered?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:40 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:38 am If you click through to Twitter, you'll see a very sensible suggestion that giving safe passage to asylum seekers would avoid this happening,
I don't have twitter so what are these suggestions ?

I've been wracking my brain trying to think about it and all I can think of is chartering Ferries and collecting anyone who wants to come here from the harbour- but then what ? Transporting them to illegal migrant Detention Centres and then deporting them back to their home country - where they are NOT safe. We can't deport them back to France ? They can't ALL stay

This is a fucking horrible situation...
The other thing is, one would imagine once you commit to bringing everyone over and putting them through the system, those that were being deterred by the risk and cost of an illegal crossing would no longer be deterred and the numbers would increase significantly.

If you did try to process and repatriate everyone (ignoring the issues with that for a moment) that wanted to come over the cost would be staggering, especially since as above the numbers would go rapidly up.

In short, it's fucked and there are no winners. If you could say we'll take everyone there at the moment and that will be the end of it then it would be fine, but there's half a world of people who would want to be here over their current situation.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:14 pm Yep, what's the solution proposed on Twitter? If offering safe passage over just results in eventual sending back, surely the same illegal routes will carry on being offered?
That giving safe passage to the asylum seekers would avoid this happening...

There's nothing illegal about seeking asylum. It's dangerous, certainly, but if they come here on a ferry or in a children's toy rubber dinghy then they end up in the same place: an immigration centre.

Dinny, do you not think it would cost less to transport people safely over the channel instead of this ridiculous situation where dead bodies are dragged out of the sea?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:55 pm Dinny, do you not think it would cost less to transport people safely over the channel instead of this ridiculous situation where dead bodies are dragged out of the sea?
Don't you think that taking away the risk and cost associated with crossing at the moment would dramatically increase the numbers making their way to the border Simon?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:55 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:14 pm Yep, what's the solution proposed on Twitter? If offering safe passage over just results in eventual sending back, surely the same illegal routes will carry on being offered?
That giving safe passage to the asylum seekers would avoid this happening...

There's nothing illegal about seeking asylum. It's dangerous, certainly, but if they come here on a ferry or in a children's toy rubber dinghy then they end up in the same place: an immigration centre.
Surely a large proportion of those being trafficked aren't destined for any official immigration centres - which supports the idea of providing the safe means across.

But if you're then sending them all back, the problem just gets shifted on when the traffickers then have even more of a hold on them now they've been shown the official routes/system don't work.