tim

Re: Amazon (UK)

Post by tim »

They need the money to buy McLaren.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Not sure how many people would be that bothered about losing any CC protection on their daily shopping when there's protection provided by Amazon.
dan

Post by dan »

You’ve seriously got too little to do if this causes any kind of issue in your life 😂
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Simon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:03 pm
Gavster wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:01 pm People won't vote with their feet because Amazon is too convenient, fast and cheap
For me to continue using Amazon needs action on my part - or I can be less lazy and shop around each time from now on.

Amazon are putting an actual barrier in the place of my continued use of their shop.
That's upside down thinking. How is shopping around lazy? It will inevitably require a greater time investment from you. It sounds more onerous than a one-time credit card change.

Besides, you lot are weird contrarians :lol:, a huge amount of 'normal' people will click on this advert next time they're checking out at Amazon, and get paid £40 to stop using Visa rather than throwing their toys around.

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Question...

If Amazon had a data breech and my Debit Car Details were stolen and also, my credit card details were stolen and my Current Account was emptied and also, my Credit Card Maxed out.

Would my recourse be any different ?? Would I be out of luck on both ? would my Current account money be gone but I can expect my credit card to refund the balance etc.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’ve had my debit card cloned twice and the bank gave the money back without issue.
Cheers, Harry
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

👍🏻
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

I looked around, here's an article in the Evening Standard that goes back to the FT about this after seeing rumours of a massive hike in fees. Apparently, it's true.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/ama ... 66647.html

The move comes after Visa increased fees last month. The Financial Times reported earlier this year that Visa would raise fees charged on transactions between the UK and EU from 0.3% to 1.5% from October. Amazon.co.uk is operating by the company’s Luxembourg business, its European headquarters.

So-called card ‘interchange’ fees charged by companies like Visa and Mastercard were capped under EU rules but Brexit removed that barrier.
So yeah, a 500% increase in fees on UK transactions for Visa Credit - or, on a billion quid of transactions, the difference between £3m and £15m in fees.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yep - looks like Visa being gouging cunts ironically so good on Amazon for blocking them. Hopefully that will prompt a change of course.

I don't see why the UK government doesn't just continue the applicable EU regulations in instances like these, same puzzlement as to why they don't ban the return of roaming fees. Surely its the lowest of low hanging fruit. :?

Proof once more that politicians are essentially idiots?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Calling most politicians idiots is a compliment. Latest example is over the towing rules shambles.
How about not having a sig at all?
Marv

Post by Marv »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:11 pm I haven't shopped at Amazon for years, pretty sure it started when people first started walking out of the warehouses over pay and conditions but it's easy once you break the habit of going there first. The other plus point is that you end up giving more business to smaller/local companies when you're shopping around.
I stopped using Amazon a few years ago too. I still order stuff from ebay about once a month, which might be equally as bad in some ways...I was a little annoyed when I ordered something from ebay and it arrived by Amazon Prime, never had that happen before!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Beany

Post by Beany »

GG. wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:43 pm Yep - looks like Visa being gouging cunts ironically so good on Amazon for blocking them. Hopefully that will prompt a change of course.

I don't see why the UK government doesn't just continue the applicable EU regulations in instances like these, same puzzlement as to why they don't ban the return of roaming fees. Surely its the lowest of low hanging fruit. :?

Proof once more that politicians are essentially idiots?
I'd say it's more likely that friends of politicians are on the boards of certain companies. I mean, it's a long-incumbent Conservative government, of course they're going to be corrupt as fuck :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If Amazon based themselves in the U.K. and paid taxes here, they’d be paying the 0.3% instead. I genuinely think it’s worth boycotting them for this even though it doesn’t affect me. Not that Visa are the good guys, but if their fees incentivised Amazon to pay the proper tax, I don’t mind.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I don’t have a credit card, I have a Visa debit therefore I don’t care!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Beany wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:38 pm I looked around, here's an article in the Evening Standard that goes back to the FT about this after seeing rumours of a massive hike in fees. Apparently, it's true.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/ama ... 66647.html

The move comes after Visa increased fees last month. The Financial Times reported earlier this year that Visa would raise fees charged on transactions between the UK and EU from 0.3% to 1.5% from October. Amazon.co.uk is operating by the company’s Luxembourg business, its European headquarters.

So-called card ‘interchange’ fees charged by companies like Visa and Mastercard were capped under EU rules but Brexit removed that barrier.
So yeah, a 500% increase in fees on UK transactions for Visa Credit - or, on a billion quid of transactions, the difference between £3m and £15m in fees.
Sorry to be 'that guy', but it's a 400% increase in fees... ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

Aye, right enough :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Oh look, just got an email to say they're not going to 'ban' visa CC's from Wednesday. What a surprise. :roll:
The artist formerly known as _Who_
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Yeah non-shocker. Just Amazon flexing their (considerable) muscles.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Probably a last minute compromise, I wonder how many people signed up to their Mastercard in the last 2 months.