Amazon (UK)

Simon

Amazon (UK)

Post by Simon »

Well, not literally, but to me maybe.

Idiots

Well, I'm not going to switch to a debit card because I want the protection a credit card offers and to hell with getting another card just to use one e-tailer.

Literally insane. Apparently Visa holds over 80% market share in UK&I. This is gonna cost a Amazon a lot more in lost custom than they save in credit card fees.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Re: Amazon (UK)

Post by Beany »

Ah, the problems that occur when you can't just have lots of money, you have to have all of the money, ever.

Eejits.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Seems bizarre. Not exactly like banning Amex payments.

Just checked and my linked card is Mastercard but interesting to hear that Visa are 80% of the market.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

You could use a Mastercard. HTH.

Frankly I can't see the fees being a problem; we have a virtual terminal at the office for taking card payments and I was reluctant to sign up for it due to card fees. But they're really low even for credit cards now. I doubt a business like Amazon would have higher fees than my firm.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They have that US tie in with Paypal/Venmo coming up so maybe they'll use that here too
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've found the Brexit angle, I've found the Brexit angle, paging @Broccers :D

Jobbo, using (as a very simple, not directly applicable example) a different email address for amazon is one thing - If you want to maintain a credit card for the protection it offers, having to get a completely different one just for Amazon might be a bridge to far for some people who just use amazon once a month or so for bits and bobs purely out of convenience.

I'm not sure I'd bother goign through a credit check again (particularly as my credit ain't great) for the few times a year I do it. I'd just get that shit from a company who aren't going to fuck me around and pay the extra 50p.

Seems odd that convenience, the one thing Amazon really offers over lots of other e-tailers, is something they'd sacrifice for profit.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We use Amazon quite a bit and the protection they offer themselves is far quicker than the credit card company.

We had a dispute over a damaged projector screen, they got awkward and Amazon said not a problem, refunded us and took the argument to them.

I’m probably 5 years we have never had an issue with a return or claim through Amazon.

Maybe it shows how little margin some of their products have that this actually has an affect. Or, space rockets have high running costs.

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:19 am You could use a Mastercard. HTH.
Yes, but I don't have a Mastercard credit card.

And as I'm remortgaging at the end of Dec I don't want a CC application on my credit file whilst all the remortgage is happening.

I guess I'll just avoid Amazon for a bit until they sort their shit out.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

At the risk of taking too simplistic a view, people will vote with their feet. If VISA want to play silly buggers with UK customers then there will be a natural migration to MasterCard no ?
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'm sure they'll be devastated to lose you.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I have both - MasterCard is the one I use on a day to day basis.

I know VISA is a massive global company but if your average consumer is faced with 2 choices:

- Keep my VISA but stop using Amazon
- Get a Mastercard to keep using Amazon

Visa will lose.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

People can just not shop at Amazon.

Probably a coincidence that their own card is with MasterCard.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Pretty simple really use a mastercard. The only visa card I have is a debit anyway and I never use it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:21 am People can just not shop at Amazon.
I wonder how many people will. It's an interesting idea regarding the 'economics' of consumer convenience.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:41 am We use Amazon quite a bit and the protection they offer themselves is far quicker than the credit card company.

We had a dispute over a damaged projector screen, they got awkward and Amazon said not a problem, refunded us and took the argument to them.

I’m probably 5 years we have never had an issue with a return or claim through Amazon.

Maybe it shows how little margin some of their products have that this actually has an affect. Or, space rockets have high running costs.

Dave!
This. I don't recall any refund issues and use a debit card with them.
Left over crest; tightens.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

People won't vote with their feet because Amazon is too convenient, fast and cheap
Simon

Post by Simon »

JonMad wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:54 am
V8Granite wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:41 am We use Amazon quite a bit and the protection they offer themselves is far quicker than the credit card company.

Dave!
This. I don't recall any refund issues and use a debit card with them.
That's fine, but the protections offered under my credit card are enshrined in law, whereas the protections offered by Amazon are mostly at the behest of Amazon's customer service.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Gavster wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:01 pm People won't vote with their feet because Amazon is too convenient, fast and cheap
For me to continue using Amazon needs action on my part - or I can be less lazy and shop around each time from now on.

Amazon are putting an actual barrier in the place of my continued use of their shop.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I haven't shopped at Amazon for years, pretty sure it started when people first started walking out of the warehouses over pay and conditions but it's easy once you break the habit of going there first. The other plus point is that you end up giving more business to smaller/local companies when you're shopping around.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:08 am
Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:19 am You could use a Mastercard. HTH.
Yes, but I don't have a Mastercard credit card.

And as I'm remortgaging at the end of Dec I don't want a CC application on my credit file whilst all the remortgage is happening.
That's fair enough. I have about 5 credit cards from different banks, the oldest I've had for 25 years (well, it was a TSB Trustcard originally but it's Lloyds now). Virtually all of them were Visa credit cards originally but over the years as each one has expired and a new one been sent out, they've all switched to Mastercards. I sort of assumed the same was true for most people.

I do recall being offered the option to choose a Visa or Mastercard with the most recent I got, though that was a few years ago. Wonder if you could ask your card provider to switch you to a Mastercard rather than Visa without needing to do any credit checks?

Anyway, it's clearly not about fees as I mentioned. If a business like mine which takes probably sub-£10k per annum via card payments has such low card charges that there is literally negligible difference between Visa or Mastercard credit cards and even debit cards, Amazon are probably paying even less.