New forum record? (aka ROR 2021)

mik

New forum record? (aka ROR 2021)

Post by mik »

It just occurred to me that tomorrow we will have a trio of forum RACING DRIVERS taking part in the Race Of Rememberence at Anglesey. All in Mini’s but with @Foz competing against Stongbroo with @Nefarious and @scotta . 8-)

Shirley a record? (If Roy Castle was still alive we’d be able to more quickly verify this I am sure) :?
Last edited by mik on Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Re: New forum record?

Post by mik »

Well it appears both teams finished - which is fucking awesome. 😎.

I don’t have much info (other than a few updates from Asa on Twitter) so I can’t steal anyone’s thunder. 😁

dan

Post by dan »

Last years ROR was run virtually for obvious reasons….another one of the forum members won it :D
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:D 8-)
Marv

Post by Marv »

339 laps :o

Well done all 😁👍
Oui, je suis un motard.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Marv wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:50 pm 339 laps :o

Well done all 😁👍
339 laps - 746 miles at full race pace - 3 sets of tyres - 280 litres of fuel - 8 hours of sleep across 4 days - a drive shaft, two water pumps, various electrical shit.

25th overall, 6th in class, but just finishing was one of the most monumental achievements of my life.

Full race report in due course
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Good work chaps.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Well done!

But 8 hrs sleep over four days! :o :shock:
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Race report:

Language is sometimes woefully inadequate as a means of communication. Before Race of Remembrance, people had told me in words what endurance racing was like. I heard the words and thought I had prepared appropriately. As it turns out, we were catastrophically under-prepared for the actual experience that was about to hit us.
And just as the words didn’t really convey the enormity of the task to me, I’m sure these words I’m about to write will not fully convey it to you, but trust me when I say that I have never experienced such sustained intensity in my life. You will also have to forgive any minor failings of recollection – sleep deprivation and adrenaline overload does funny things to the brain…
So, the challenges started before we had even left Edinburgh. The electrics on the alarmingly overloaded trailer flat refused to give any signs of life, and after two hours of rewiring still wouldn’t play ball, so we were forced break out the tools and jerry-rig a trailer board to even begin the endeavor.
Nearly three hours behind schedule, Scott set off for Glasgow to collect the campervan, and I started on the long trek south. However, less than two hours in, I was forced to stop with what I thought was a puncture on the Mercedes. I tried to affect a temporary repair with two tins of tyre goo, but it only earned me another 15 miles before the warning lights were flashing bright at me, and I realised this would need to be properly fixed. After some frantic phoning of local tyre fitters, the only solution was to limp to the next services and meet a mobile fitter there – but the tyre was in a very bad way now and was fully delaminating, and managed to take out the plug for the trailer electrics as it destroyed itself. So, while I was having the tyre replaced, Scott and Ross had to turn back, collect new plugs and wiring, and come to Gretna to rescue me. We were now five and a half hours behind schedule, the trailer was towing badly, and I was jacked up with anxiety for the remaining five hours on the road. In many ways, the experience was an appropriate warm up for what was still to come.
We arrived at Anglesey in the pitch dark to 50mph winds, horizontal rain, unloaded the car and our endless boxes of tools and spare parts, and started to see the levels of preparation and support other teams were bringing to the party – computers, satellite weather maps, F1-style refueling rigs, catering, spare cars etc etc and it was beginning to dawn that our biting action may have exceeded our chewing capacity.
The first night in the camper was awful – it rocked in the wind like a ship on the high seas and the whole sky fell on us in one long, sustained deluge. I chalked up an hour and a half to the weekend’s sleep tally.
And then it began.
None of us have ever driven Anglesey before, so we booked onto the Friday morning testing. Final car prep started at 6.30am, we procured fuel from the on-site station and began the process of 15-30 minute stints to learn the circuit, practice pit stops, and shakedown the car.
The track varied between greasy and wet, but was relatively easy to learn in the fairly adjustable and friendly Mini. We managed nearly 70 laps and seven or eight practice pitstops, with only a bit of overflowing coolant to hinder proceedings. I suspect we may have taken a bit much out of the car in doing so, and the sense of other teams bringing a spare car was evident, but we were feeling a bit more confident that we were vaguely on the pace and, with a bit of luck and a following wind, would be able to handle the stops.
And so it turned out in quali – we were third in class behind an MX5 (which may or may not have been fully legal) and one of the other Minis. The car felt good and definitely had the outright pace for a good result.
On the long list of “things we’re never done before” was then night quali. I went out for the first stint and the car felt amazing. The lighting was one of the preparation things we definitely did do right, and I felt surprisingly comfortable keeping up my daylight pace in the inky black of the Welsh nighttime. Unfortunately, Ross’s stint didn’t go so well, and another driver’s spin forced him off track, causing damage to the bottom of the engine.
Back in the garage, we identified an alternator belt hanging on by a thread and a water pump shaft wobblier than a weeble. We had no option to send Scott out for his three required night laps, but under strict instructions to walk it round and just get the requisite laps in the bag.
At this point our mechanics Asa and Jake began to show what real professional spannering looks like, and why I should probably stick to mechano. They stripped the spare engine of the necessary bits, swapped the water pump, repaired the main pulley wheel, and replaced the belt before cracking on with the planned service items for that night.
I set up the back of the Merc with a yoga mat and some carrier bags on the windows for an alternative sleeping space and left them at around midnight. Sleep tally up to seven and a half hours by 6.30 the next morning.
I’ve never seen it, but I’m told that before a tsunami hits, the sea recedes and there’s an eerie calm. That’s what Saturday morning was like. Clear skies, a few service jobs left to do on the car, more fuel to buy and load into Tuff jugs. We braced for impact.
At 3pm the flag dropped, and Ross look the first stint. On our fuel strategy this would need to be a long one – we can fully fuel the car at the beginning and overnight, but we are limited to 40L at each regular stop and 20L at each tyre stop. He absolutely delivered quick, consistent laps, and at one stage, we were running 13th overall, which was, quite frankly, unbelievable. But then, the challenges unique to endurance racing kicked in. There was a safety car at just over the 1 hour 30 mark, so we decided take to advantage and pull him in early. But everyone else had the same idea. Standing at our garage, hearts pumping for our first real-life run of what we’d practice, all of a sudden a Lotus Elise arrived with a squeal of tyres (nearly knocking Scott over!) instead of a blue stripy Mini. We panicked. The Mini arrived a few seconds later and there was no space. He pulled a bit further along, but our earth strap (which you absolutely need before you can start refueling) wouldn’t reach. The clock was ticking. Asa rapidly made friends with the garage next door and pinched their cable. We somehow muddled through, didn’t quite get all the fuel in the car, but got Scott out for stint 2 with only a minor loss of time.
OK, panic over, back in the game. Scott got his head down and starting banging in laps. Again, he was absolutely on the pace, and we were sitting towards the top of our class (as much as you can tell once the pitstops start). But then we got a message over the radio that there was a bad vibration from the front right.
At this point, I feel it’s appropriate to give enormous praise to Asa for Crew Chief duties. He’d never done it before, but he wore that headset like he was born with it. Exactly the right amount of communication for the drivers, psychic diagnostic skills and generally the authoritative parent to keep us tantruming toddler drivers in check.
We pulled Scott in for an early tyre change, assuming one of the front tyres had gone off, and sent him back out. Not only had this now spoiled our carefully calculated fuel strategy, but it turned out not to have helped – it was still banging away like enthusiastic newlyweds. So we pulled him in again.
The driveshaft was knackered and we weren’t ready. Jake and I sprinted to the trailer, dug through the parts box and found a spare driveshaft. Asa started ripping the corner apart. Even though he’d never changed a driveshaft on a Mini before, he managed to get it changed, reassembled, and the gearbox topped back up with oil in under 15 minutes including our run for parts (I took 45 last time I did it back at the garage). Impressive stuff (well, until later in the race when we saw the next door team do it in 2m19s!).
In an effort to pull back some time, I decided to just jump in and try to run to the end of the session (2 hours 55), but in our flapping, Scott and I forgot our gloves for refueling, and we incurred a drive through penalty (fueling procedures were very closely monitored and the slightest infringements harshly punished).
Already fired up from the frantic repairs, I started trying to earn back time. The night racing is nothing like I’ve done before. I’m used to twelve minute Formula Ford races, which usually leave me dripping wet and exhausted. This turned that experience up by several orders of magnitude. Not only are you busy battling with somebody in your own class, but you’re also doing it while trying to pass slower cars (who are in the middle of their own battles), and trying to dodge out of the way of the Caterhams and Exiges. In the dark. And everyone had massive flood lights. So you can either see murky darkness or blinding lights, and not much in between. I think the worst bit is just after you pass slower cars – all you can see in the mirrors is a wall of light and you can’t tell which are the lapped cars, which is the chap you’re banging wheels with, and which is super-fast Porsche just about to send one down the inside.
After what felt like hours, Asa came on the radio to say I’d done 30 minutes. I was knackered, boiling hot, and my lower back was in agony (the three drivers are very different sizes, but we all have to share the same seat). Head down, big boy pants pulled up, dig deep. And then the engine cut out….and restarted. Two laps later, it did it again. I figured it was electrical, and it seemed to happen with any sudden jolt through the car. I checked over the radio on the time lost – only 1 second per lap – and decided to stay out, but keep off the curbs completely and just try and keep everything as smooth and gentle as possible. But in the heat of battle, it’s not always possible. One lap, through the fast, *just* flat left after the pit wall, I was squeezed onto the curb by a slower car. Electrics went and took the power steering with them. Steering weight multiplied by ten and it took all my strength to physically hold the line without wiping out the car to my outside.
Nearly two hours into my stint, we realised that there wasn’t going to be enough fuel to see me to the end of the session, so when there was another safety car the team called me in (I was secretly quite relieved!). Apparently I’d earned back around 4 minutes on the MX5 team that we were battling with, but sadly threw it all away in fixing the electrical problem and the stop-go. I was completely, totally and utterly spent.
With only 50 minutes left in the session, I assumed Ross would just now run to the end, and sat back with a beer (kindly donated from another Mx5 team that saw me floundering like a beached fish). But with 5 minutes to go, the blue Mini appeared again, this time in a cloud of steam and with the temperature needle straining to burst out of the gauge.
The pulley wheel had completely sheered off the water pump (our only spare), so there was nothing to do but to forego the final moments of the session, wait for it to cool down and assess the damage to the engine. There were two massive bits of good fortune to this – firstly, the timing meant that we only lost less than 5 minute of live track time, and secondly, the engine somehow, miraculously managed to survive its cooking and fired up cleanly and enthusiastically. We got out our begging bowl, put on our sweetest smiles and asked the lovely boys and girls of the TrackScotland team for their only spare water pump. Asa, Scott and Jake worked through until nearly 3am to get it all screwed back together. I tried to get my head down for some very very much needed z’s, but of course, that was never going to work. I think at that point my bloodstream was pretty much neat adrenaline and cortisol, my ears with ringing, and I stared at the headlining of the Merc for a few hours. Sleep tally – still 7.5 hours.
And then it was Sunday morning (I took everyone’s word for it, but my sense of time was completely shot at this point), and Ross was back in the hot seat, having had a similar level of sleep to me. He put in an absolutely heroic drive for nearly two hours, gaining four places in the overall standings before the break for the Remembrance service.
Then I made a mistake. I was responsible for strategy, which means constantly doing mental arithmetic to calculate fuel burn rates, fuel loads at the pit stops, and the windows of opportunity for tyre changes. I had previously assumed that the time of the Remembrance service would be added on at the end, but somebody told me that, no, the race still ended at 3pm. I stupidly took their word for it, and saw an opportunity to recover our extra pitstop from the previous day. If we put as much fuel in and sent Scott out for a long stint, I’d *just* about be able to heavy fuel again and take a long final stint myself. Except the information was wrong. We only realised an hour into Scott’s session (another epic drive) that we had an extra 45 minutes to go and we couldn’t physically get enough fuel in the car to run all the way to the end. Another safety car gave us a window to pit, so we gave it as much fuel as we could, send me out, and hoped for the best.
I can honestly remember very little of that session, other than an amazing 40 minute ding-dong with the Jaffa Cake Racing MX5. He had a notable power advantage on the straights, but I could close up under brakes and through the corners. We swapped places a few times, but neither of us managed to make more than a couple of car lengths gap for the whole duration. All totally clean and courteous, which given the levels of fatigue, was pretty incredible.
By this stage, the car was definitely starting to feel as tired as I was. The tyres, which had previously been used for qualifying were well past their best, and the vibration from the rubber pick-up on the rears was starting to worry me. The gearbox was starting to feel pretty indistinct and I was concerned that it might not oblige the next time I asked for a new ratio. The general level of squeaks and rattles was reaching a cacophony. And then the fuel light came on.
Not that it mattered, at this point there was 55 minutes to go. We were a fairly comfortable 4 laps ahead of the chasing Mazda, and a distant 11 laps behind the next Mini up the road, so we took our time to find a suitable pit window, completed our slickest pitstop of the race, and left it to Scott to bring it home in one piece.
Despite being told to nurse the car and fuel save, and despite some contact knocking the front toe out a bit, Scott was still banging in laps within 1.5s of qualifying pace. We crossed everything, had little words with our chosen deities and hoped for the best. He brought it home a very creditable 24th overall (out of the 53 starters) and 6th in class (of 9), and we were all elated (and possibly starting to hallucinate from sheer exhaustion). 339 laps completed, which equals 746 miles at full, leaning-on-the-door-handles race pace, three sets of tyres smeared all over a Welsh hillside and nearly 300 litres of Shell’s finest incinerated.
All that was left after the prize ceremony was the small matter of packing up the tons of kit and caboodle, reloading the trailer, and seven hours back up the road to sunny Scotland (which Scott and I thought sensible to leave until the following day if we actually wanted to arrive).
So overall, the whole experience was other-worldly incredible. The sense of relief and accomplishment at the end was something akin to what stricken sailors in a lifeboat must feel when they finally make land. Eight years racing Formula Ford no better prepared us for this than it would’ve done a mission to the moon. The words are simply inadequate to encapsulate the experience.
But we have already started making our prep lists for next year.

Massive thanks to everyone that made it all happen. To Scott and Ross for their stunning drives and preparation efforts before the event. To Asa and Jake for their incredible spanner skills, dedication and determination through the nighttime repair marathons and generally putting up with three prima-dona drivers. To Adam and the rest of the Trackscotland team for holding our hands, donating parts, and getting us involved in this nonsense in the first place. To the Peaky Binders team for a cold beer and kind words when I needed it. To Jaffa Cake Danny for one of my most memorable race battles ever. To Jim Cameron and all at Mission Motorsport for running the event (and all their other sterling work). And most importantly, to all the servicemen and women who have given everything and who ultimately Remembrance day is all about.

RaceofRemembrance
Caber Coffee Ltd
Panda Racing
Mission Motorsport
BRSCC North Western Centre
scotta

Post by scotta »

We were 24th...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jesus fucking Christ.

Mad respect to all of you for, effectively, just turning up and trying a full 24 hour event (at Anglesey no less, not exactly a friendly beginners circuit) given that 30mins of backroad thrashing leaves me a palpitating, sticky mess. That whole adventure sounds like pure psychological torture, but say least for a good cause.

I'm exhausted just reading it :lol:

So, same again next year?

(Ps: if your ears burned at any point, I saw you on a livestream looking grumpy in a garage door, and I waved enthusiastically at my phone and said "Hallo Neil")

Edit: sorry, twelve hour event? Like it makes any difference if you've not done one before..
Last edited by Beany on Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Post by mik »

What an epic write up. 8-) Didn't feel a million miles away from reading an evo article. :geek:
Foz

Post by Foz »

Well done guys, good pace, that was our 4th event, we finished 4th, 1st, 2nd and 3rs this time around!

Cheers
Lowell
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Bravo to all of you. What an experience. Sounds like some outstanding driving and teamwork. And all on no sleep as well.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Glad you posted the write-up here; I kept having to stop reading it on Facebook on my phone and it kept disappearing!

Congratulations for simply finishing. Fantastic
scotta

Post by scotta »

Race report from the Trackscotland side of the garage @Foz

Race of Remembrance 2021
This will have been our 4th attempt, and whilst that means we have 'experience' it cant prepare you for everything... and make up for the exhausting nature of club level endurance racing 😂
We fielded a 2 car team again, but with 7 drivers this time round.
TS 1 - Blue car - Myself, Fiona Kindness and Adam Morrison - all raced Minis with SMRC/KMSC etc
TS 2 - Pink Car - Craig Dillon, Lowell Forsyth, Mark Dawson and Will Robson - Craig has the most mini expereince, but all experienced with minis at RoR. Will the new comer to the pink 'Barbie' team.
A third testing/back-up car was kindly supplied by Adam Morrison
We also had competion from our old Mini, the 2019 Class A winning car.... sold to StrongBroo Racing earlier this year. No pressure 😜
The usual preperation for the event was spiced up by the required reshell of the blue car in the weeks before RoR.....after an incident (roll!) in Knockhill Mod-Sports Series... involving all 3 members of the TS 1 BLUE team 😩🤣 Not ideal, but no dramas in the end.
Spares were organised, logistics sorted, budgets blown...
Thursday:
5am start to load up the 3 vans and cars. Fiona had helped me organise the spares this year, and space was tighter than normal with 5 in our 2 garages at Anglesey, so this wasnt actually as painful as normal. Labelled and stackable boxes with Fee controlling the master list - Almost professional 🤣 Still amazing to see the amount of 'stuff' we end up taking.... even after its been reduced to essentials (3 cars, 1 spare engine, 3 spares 'boxes, 32 wheels... etc etc). Get to Anglsey around 5pm and setup for the weekend. Luckily we got there earlier than the other teams and had to freedom to setup to suit our needs. Minor prep remained on cars - geo baseline on the floor, seat fittings, extra flashy leds etc. Beers and dinner, then bed by 3am when Lowell Forsyth arrived with Barbie.
Friday:
Early start for 3.5hrs of open pit testing. We had opted to put all 7 drivers in the testing car. The car is very similiar to ours, so should give a good base for reaquinting the drivers with the track. No pushing... just seat time. Testing flew by without any issues... on to qualy.
Day Qualy - With not using the car in testing there is always a little worry a problem may show itself 😕 The blue cars brakes were not great with ABS triggering way too early. Tyres were scrubbed. Blue car TS 1 placed P23 with a 1:51.0, Pink car TS 2 P28 with a 1:53.2. No worries with that - im sure we were all driving well within our limits and pacing the cars 🙂
Night Qualy - this is where you have to start using restraint! The session means noting in terms of starting positions... it is simly to familiarise yourelf with racing at night. We always 'try' and do the min required 3 laps and box - save miles on the cars/tyres etc. I think we all behaved ourselves this year - no lap records and no double digit laps 😃
Friday night - The cars had a few jobs pencilled in, new pads, bleed brakes etc. A bleed nipple had damaged the threads on a rear caliper (blue car) - Andrew MacDonald to the rescue with an early morning run to motorfactor! Our spares matched Barbie's caliper design 😮 StrongBroo Racing donated a caliper (my old spare lol) but it wasnt suitable either.
Saturday
30min practice session - 3 laps in blue car to bed and test brakes. Pink car sat it out.
#biathlonoffoolishness - Fee braved the run and cold water again. I think she enjoys it 😛
Race start - 3pm.
I was in the blue mini, Lowell in the Pink. I'll let Lowell Forsyth and the others input on their stints, but I tried to keep it steady and manage the fuel/tyres - Cue a big slide and opposite lock on turn 2 as i hadnt done my normal brake and tyre prep LOL doh. Kept my head down, banged in the laps... vibration developed 30mins into race, concering but manageble. ABS went (and eventually wouldnt reset) shorty after. This proved to be the biggest issue of the day! If you havent driven a mini... there brakes are amazing (for the car/budget) and a lot of that is down to the ABS. I was really struggling to keep the wheels rotating for rocket and peel! I was lifting and coasting to save fuel anyway. so this in turn allowed me a little margin on the brakes. I still had a few lock ups though and tyre life was a concern. I managed to eek out 2hr 40mins from the fuel, and got us up to a nosebleed inducing P6 overall. Adam Morrison was into car after me for a 1hr 25min stint - or basically as long as the tyres lasted! The front left delaminated around lap 123 (~4hrs or ~260miles of racing.... and various lockups). Fiona Kindness was in next... and I'm not sure what happened, but with the lap timer obscured she just wasnt making the pace we needed :S This isnt just me being mean, and we had discussed it before had. The hard call was made and stint was cut short at 41mins with Adam Morrison back out to see out the night. Things were prograssing nicely with both cars P2/3 in class, with pace looking good. Then disaster struck with some fluid on track at Church (flat out right in 4th gear) and Adam lost the rear and went backwards into the boggy mud... and got stuck. The recovery took a while and ultimatly ended up with blue car losing 3 laps to pink car ( was ahead when spun 🙁 ). The TrackScotland teams ended the day P16 (pink) and P17 (blue)
overnight work - brakes, shafts, wheel bearings.... lots
Sunday:
Race began again at 9am with Adam Morrison in blue car and Will Robson in Pink all the way through to the Remembrance Service. Both cars were on 052 fronts... and having to manage the tyres! Blue car changed to 050s and Fee jumped in. Her ears rimgs with 'Push Push Push, Go Go GO' on the radio as she left the pits.. this seemed to work and she was soon consistently lapping in the 1:49s then boom - 1:49.00 - the fastest we (as a team - 12 drivers) have gone in any of the 7 (yes 7) minis we've taken to RoR! Ace!! She did a 1hr 10min stint then i was back out to finish the race with a planned fuel stop mid way through my 2hr stint. At this point we were 2 laps down and in my head it was simply we had nothing to lose - so push. Hindsight.... a little less pushing may have been enough and kept the car on track lapping and gained us (the blue team) a podium (at the exspense of the pink team who also had difficulties with contact and tyre life towards end of race). I drove the car at near sprint race pace for two hours, damaged a drive shaft (changed in 2mins 😮) and delaminated a rear tyre. Set a new team lap record... but no podium! That went to the pink team who did enough to take 3rd in class this year 😁 despite there being some very stiff competition and the most grouling (dry) conditions we have faced so far!
A great event and an amazing cause - Mission Motorsport / RaceofRemembrance. If you havent tried it or considered it... get involved for 2022. There is talk of a 3 car race team next year... drivers may be required. https://www.missionmotorsport.org/ https://www.raceofremembrance.com/
Hats off to the support crew we had this year - best team performance yet (p15/p16 overall from 53... in a 1600 na mini!), slick pitstops, fast turnaround with issues etc
MB Garage Services & Motorsport
Matthew Lawson - pit crew
Simon May - pit crew
Sean Buchan - fueler
David Long - strategy and all round level head to ground the others in the team LOL.
Andrew MacDonald - time keeper and parts go-getter
Great competion in our class... for the most part 😜🧐
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I'm deeply, deeply impressed. That sounds like a herculean effort. Scott appears to be able to drive like he's desperate for a poo and needs to get to the next services quickly. 1.5 seconds off qualifying pace at the end is remarkable.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:56 pm I'm deeply, deeply impressed. That sounds like a herculean effort. Scott appears to be able to drive like he's desperate for a poo and needs to get to the next services quickly. 1.5 seconds off qualifying pace at the end is remarkable.
Too busy to poo :lol:

https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=BRSC ... 531ror.pdf

That's the data set for the weekend. All three of our drivers are within 6 tenths of each others fastest laps. Ross Had the freshest sets of tyres as he started both days. I was driver 2 and Neil driver three so as the drivers progressed the tyres got shitter yet we still managed all to be very close on pace.
speedingfine

Re: New forum record? (aka ROR 2021)

Post by speedingfine »

An amazing read fellas, hats off to you all 😃