Close racing

Nefarious

Close racing

Post by Nefarious »

A bit of onboard footage from yesterday. Racing very close. Not my best performance (lots of little mistakes), but makes as decent watch.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
DeskJockey

Re: Close racing

Post by DeskJockey »

Looks fun. What kind of speeds are you getting up to?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:42 am Looks fun. What kind of speeds are you getting up to?
Just shy of 120 at the end of the back and main straights
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's plenty in something that small, I'm sure.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

That block at the end felt a bit too aggressive…. 🤔
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

That's so close, it looks like you're desperate for him to make a mistake
mik

Post by mik »

Also - who is it? Is that Gronk at the front?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Jordan up front, Matt Chisholm in the red 92

And yeah, he was annoying consistent. More mistakes from me.

Bump at the end resulted in a neat fist-sized hole in the nosecone!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Damn, close indeed!
Random thoughts watching that included
- that's a lot of kerb
- keeping your foot in when off onto the gravel 8-)
- looks twitchy
- you've got some balls and some skill
- almost got him again, just needed a slightly longer straight
- what was going on behind you at the time?
- fair play to them not crumbling under that
- I'm not fit enough to do that
Left over crest; tightens.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

That looked like rather a battering workout. A couple of the tyre screeches sounded '70s American tv(!) An excellent angle, really conveys the physicality of it 8-)
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 pm Damn, close indeed!
- that's a lot of kerb
- looks twitchy
Mostly, lots of curb is normal (make the track as wide as possible!), especially at the chicane and Clarkes (the right hander immediately after the chicane) - I even set the car up more softly to allow it - but I was on less than top form that day (full of cold!) and my accuracy was a bit off, so I did bounce over the big sausage curbs at Duffus (end of the main straight) and McIntires (90 deg right hander just after) a couple of times. They weren't deliberate :lol:

Twitchy is maneuverable (within reason!) so some of that is deliberately dialed in (and, as per my sig, if it's not on the ragged edge, you're not trying hard enough!), but it probably looks worse in this vid because I was being quite ham-fisted at times (partly being off-form, partly heat of battle).

I wasn't doing quite so well on the straights - Matt's engine is just back from rebuild and looking *strong*. Mine hasn't been refreshed since 2019, and in such a light car 2-3bhp makes a noticeable difference.

Behind? There's a car challenging, just out of touching distance for the first 4 laps or so (you can occasionally catch a glimpse of a white car in my mirror), but she apparently had a brake problem about half way through the race and dropped back far enough not to worry about.

Fitness? - That was 12 mins odd (and is pretty battering/tiring). At Race of Remembrance, we're got to keep it up for 12 hours (between 3 of us!) :shock:
scotta

Post by scotta »

Nefarious wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:22 am
JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 pm Damn, close indeed!
- that's a lot of kerb
- looks twitchy
Mostly, lots of curb is normal (make the track as wide as possible!), especially at the chicane and Clarkes (the right hander immediately after the chicane) - I even set the car up more softly to allow it - but I was on less than top form that day (full of cold!) and my accuracy was a bit off, so I did bounce over the big sausage curbs at Duffus (end of the main straight) and McIntires (90 deg right hander just after) a couple of times. They weren't deliberate :lol:

Twitchy is maneuverable (within reason!) so some of that is deliberately dialed in (and, as per my sig, if it's not on the ragged edge, you're not trying hard enough!), but it probably looks worse in this vid because I was being quite ham-fisted at times (partly being off-form, partly heat of battle).

I wasn't doing quite so well on the straights - Matt's engine is just back from rebuild and looking *strong*. Mine hasn't been refreshed since 2019, and in such a light car 2-3bhp makes a noticeable difference.

Behind? There's a car challenging, just out of touching distance for the first 4 laps or so (you can occasionally catch a glimpse of a white car in my mirror), but she apparently had a brake problem about half way through the race and dropped back far enough not to worry about.

Fitness? - That was 12 mins odd (and is pretty battering/tiring). At Race of Remembrance, we're got to keep it up for 12 hours (between 3 of us!) :shock:
Good job we are all athletes at the top of our game.. :?

I hadn't realised the contact was on the run to the line - I thought you had touched at the hairpin.

You get a shaky finger for wheel shuffling at the hairpin and for running wide at clarks a few times. Good battle with Matt though. He's found at least half a second with that engine refresh.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

scotta wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:46 am Good battle with Matt though. He's found at least half a second with that engine refresh.
The combination of the black smoke you spotted with the gurgling noises I heard point to a carb issue. I'll change it and check it, and do a compression test before WHT.
tim

Post by tim »

That was tremendous! Loved it.

Might just be my ears but it sounded like you're bumping into the rev limiter a fair bit before changing up?

Cos, y'know, Armchair expert. :)
scotta

Post by scotta »

tim wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:31 am That was tremendous! Loved it.

Might just be my ears but it sounded like you're bumping into the rev limiter a fair bit before changing up?

The engine runs on carbs and we dont have a revlimiter on this car - we did on the last one that did ignition cut but it fvcked up and caused us problems so we didnt fit one to this car.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

tim wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:31 am That was tremendous! Loved it.

The perfect change point has been the subject of considerable analysis. The power band is narrow. Sub 5k you've got basically nothing. Peak power is 6k, but it starts dropping off quite quickly after that. By 6.6k you're back down at the same power as 5k. But you can only *just* space the ratios for that (and still have enough top speed with no holes. On current gearing, a 6.6k change point spits me out into 5.2k, 5.1k and 5.0k in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, but there's always a little drop on the clutch dip, so it's worth over revving slightly - 6.7-6.8k and suffering the drop off in top end power, in order to get into the power band of the next gear.