Sky Glass

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: Sky Glass

Post by IanF »

My parents and gf have both said they’d have this rather than the mess of cables they have currently.

This is very similar to the argument we have on here of leasing a car vs saving up to buy one outright; there are valid arguments for both and it’ll come down to personal preference.

Personally, I think they’re using the Apple method of bring out a product that’s not very innovative but has a better, more polished UI than competitors previous attempts, and that’s not worked out too badly for them! 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

IanF wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:26 pm My parents and gf have both said they’d have this rather than the mess of cables they have currently.
Tell htem to buy a smart TV then. :lol:

You'd have to really want Sky to want this product. I still don't get it despite Gavster's best efforts. As Rich and Mito suggest, it seems more about Sky trying to keep some sort of USP to extract cash from those who likely generally have less of it to spend than the average punter.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:45 pm
IanF wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:26 pm My parents and gf have both said they’d have this rather than the mess of cables they have currently.

You'd have to really want Sky to want this product. I still don't get it despite Gavster's best efforts. As Rich and Mito suggest, it seems more about Sky trying to keep some sort of USP to extract cash from those who likely generally have less of it to spend than the average punter.
😂 Parents already have Sky Q (and 7 smart tv’s) and gf has VM (only 5 smart tvs), but they still need cables from the box to the TV and from the tv to the sound bars.. 🤷‍♂️

Like I said, some people will understand the demand for it, others won’t..
Cheers,

Ian
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:13 am
Do you have to continue renting it in those circumstances?

I still don't get it, I'm afraid. Basically Sky are making a telly, in competition with Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic et al who update their TVs every year and whose products are getting cheaper all the time; why bother?
Clearly not, Si because as I've said before you're not renting the TV!!! You're buying it under a CCA in the same way you would a mobile phone, then once you've paid for it you only carry on paying for your subscription to Sky's service. The TV is yours.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:45 pm

i have Sky and a 5 year old 42" smart tv - I use the sky box to do Netflix/Amazon/Disney because the UI is a million times nicer than any I've seen on any smart TVs. I don't really want to go out and spend a grand on a new bigger tv, but I'd quite like one.

I'd be tempted by £20 a month to have a nice new tv and I'd probably get that past the missus easily!
scotta

Post by scotta »

This place is getting hard work...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

How amazing can a UI be?

We have a roku connected to an ancient tv.

I press the hdmi button and it switches to the smart box, which has a page of nice big app tiles, you move around them with arrow keys and press ok. I don’t really understand the need to simplify it. My parents, mother in law and Mrs can all work them fine, I don’t know anyone older or even more tech illiterate I can give one to to try 😂
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I use the firestick app on my iPhone. Can’t even be bothered faffing about with the remote anymore. Way better for typing into searches too.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:31 pm I use the firestick app on my iPhone. Can’t even be bothered faffing about with the remote anymore. Way better for typing into searches too.
typing? What is it, 20xx?
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

I don’t like it but it’s not for me. Have steadily reduced the stuff attached to the TV and don’t even bother recording any more. Everything is easy to just stream when I want it and the Apple TV is pretty good at combining search and what I’m watching across the various services.

My parents though who’ve paid for an excessive Sky package for years just to watch the odd bit of sport or film, who’s soundbar is disconnected because they couldn’t be bothered with the faff? I could probably see them going for it.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Built on over 30 years of understanding what our customers want, this is a TV that only Sky could make.
Well, yes, based on Sky customers.

As a non-Sky customer who finds the in-built TV sound quality perfectly adequate (getting the benefit of a surround sound system would involve playing it at a volume that would keep the kids awake, so just not worth it), I feel my £350 TV with all the streaming services I could need already built into it meets my needs.

Would this replace my DVD player*, kids' Karaoke machine, or Nintendo Wii that are cabled into it? I don't think so.
*Yes we still watch DVDs sometimes. Well, the kids do.

Cool project to be working on though.
Left over crest; tightens.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

They’ll get a few sold just by selling it in pink
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:23 pm How amazing can a UI be?
If it's good enough, you get an iPhone. Which was technologically behind the competition, but was nicer to use.

I'd guess this is what Sky are aiming for
Last edited by Beany on Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

jamcg wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:15 pm They’ll get a few sold just by selling it in pink
We all want it in the pink..
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

What about the stink?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:43 pm What about the stink?
Only with informed consent
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:18 pm
As a non-Sky customer who finds the in-built TV sound quality perfectly adequate (getting the benefit of a surround sound system would involve playing it at a volume that would keep the kids awake, so just not worth it),
Meh - kids only develop deeper sleeping skills by being exposed to a bit of noise. ;)
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

I thought this thread was suitable for a job I’ve been doing - A 75” TV behind glass!
A911CCB9-4472-4CA0-88B8-2D0BE4D5B6AD.jpeg
A911CCB9-4472-4CA0-88B8-2D0BE4D5B6AD.jpeg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 645 times
B055A831-2FAB-4B56-930D-B24454A1A803.jpeg
B055A831-2FAB-4B56-930D-B24454A1A803.jpeg (26.78 KiB) Viewed 645 times
I must say that there are not my preferred solution, and the design is wrong, but the interior designer sold the idea to the client and didn’t bring me on until after they had ordered the mirror.
The mirror is about 7ft x 9ft, and cost £12k before designer mark up.
The bottom of the TV is 6ft off the ground, about 3ft higher than you’d want it given the viewing distance.
The chandelier will certainly create reflections from n the screen.
They hadn’t thought about sound - you will hardly hear the tv now it’s behind a massive mirror!

I’ve installed a slimline wall mounted amplifier above the TV. In the two custom side tables I’ve had half of each enclosure sealed and routed out the back of the front face to 2mm and bonded Amina mobius speakers to them.

An expensive way to put an occasional use TV in your formal living room!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I've clearly not had enough coffee this morning as the logic behind that install and how it will work in practice is making my brain hurt.

Why do so many people seem to have their TVs mounted high on a wall instead of at eye level?

You have to admire Sky for coming up with a way to lock customers-in to their product, just like those contracts people take out so they can have the new iPhone every year. We gave up Sky years ago, but they do have a great UI which isn't to be underestimated - they clearly "get it" - I've said before, I can't believe the laggy Android UI on my LG TV - its amazing what some companies think is acceptable to ship.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Has anyone got this yet?
My dad mentioned that his existing Sky contract is over and has now gone to something silly like £109 per month. Getting a Sky Glass and addional box (puck?) is way cheaper plus he reckons Starlink is now fast enough to support it so no more “no signal” whenever there’s adverse weather.

He has a big TV set up with home cinema so I’m wondering if it’s possible to just chuck the Sky Glass in the bedroom where it will be barely used and use the puck on the main TV?
Does the puck have all the regular Sky functions like 4K, record, Dolby Atmos and all the channels?