Sky Glass

Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Sky Glass

Post by Delphi »

I've been NDA'd on this for the last 18 months but now it's been launched this morning, what are people's thoughts?

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-glass-ne ... s-12427480
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Sky Glass

Post by Sundayjumper »

Our Sky box always had a much easier UI than the Sony TV attached to it, so this sounds promising.
Delphi

Post by Delphi »

Voice input switching is nice (Just say "Hello, Sky. XBox" and it'll switch inputs). There's a cool Playlist feature which allows you to add a show to your Playlist and it'll aggregate the episodes across all streaming platforms/channels, so if Season 1 & 2 of a show is one one, but Seasons 4 & 5 are on another, it'll handle it all for you. Video chat and motion capture camera is coming next year too.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
mik

Post by mik »

Whilst I like the concept of de-cluttering - it’s kinda fixing an issue that is unique to Sky non? Other services don’t rely on external hardware.

Also It has speakers and a sub in a flat screen format? :?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It looks like quite a thick case for a modern flat screen so it could have space for a little sub.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We binned Sky a few years ago and now pretty much just use the intergrated digital TV and a Firestick. The new fire sticks also do the volume and TV power too so normally just one remote out.

This could be like the PlayStation situation though where the BluRay player in it was the best on the market so maybe the TV and sound will be the best for the price ?

Dave!
Delphi

Post by Delphi »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:28 am Whilst I like the concept of de-cluttering - it’s kinda fixing an issue that is unique to Sky non? Other services don’t rely on external hardware.

Also It has speakers and a sub in a flat screen format? :?
Virgin does, for one.

Full Dolby Atmos support. By all accounts the sound is amazing, although I've yet to hear it myself.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Why would anyone want to tie their telly itself to the service provider? What next, Netflix screens, Amazon Prime screens?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:39 am Why would anyone want to tie their telly itself to the service provider? What next, Netflix screens, Amazon Prime screens?
Maybe it’ll be a similar model to their sky q box where you rent the tv whilst you have a subscription. I can see that appealing to a lot of people especially if you’re renting somewhere etc. Probably helps a few people onto the 4K band wagon as well. They have a deal for a heavily discounted sound bar already, so they are quite clever at keeping you invested in their products.
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:51 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:39 am Why would anyone want to tie their telly itself to the service provider? What next, Netflix screens, Amazon Prime screens?
Maybe it’ll be a similar model to their sky q box where you rent the tv whilst you have a subscription.
Yarp. From the article:

Sky Glass will be available from £13 per month for the 43" screen, but consumers will also need a Sky TV subscription, taking the cost to £39 per month.

The 55" screen is available for £17 a month, and the 65" screen for £21 a month on top of the Sky TV subscription, and all three will begin retailing from 18 October.

The full price is £649 (43"), £849 (55") and £1049 (65").
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:58 am
Maybe it’ll be a similar model to their sky q box where you rent the tv whilst you have a subscription.
Yarp. From the article:

Sky Glass will be available from £13 per month for the 43" screen, but consumers will also need a Sky TV subscription, taking the cost to £39 per month.

The 55" screen is available for £17 a month, and the 65" screen for £21 a month on top of the Sky TV subscription, and all three will begin retailing from 18 October.

The full price is £649 (43"), £849 (55") and £1049 (65").
Thanks Mik. Reading is soo old Skool. I just tend to look at the pics and make my decision based off them.

Kinda explains my bad luck with women tbh! 🤣😂🤣
Cheers,

Ian
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Is all content delivered over the internet?

If you're wedded to Sky services I can see the idea, but I agree with Jobbo about the tie-in. Presumably the set is useless without Sky services.

I'd be interested to see the software support policy. How long is the commitment to updating with features and security patches? How long do they expect a set to last?

I like the decluttering aspect, would be cool to have some kind of interchangeable provider module so that you could switch without having to replace the whole telly.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Isn't Sky moving to streaming services anyway? I'm sure that was in the news recently. In which case why would you not just stick with/buy any other smart tv on the market?

It basically sounds like our Sony TV but with Sky bolted on.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I wonder what the base TV is under the Sky packaging, but I don't think I'd buy a non oled tv. I'm happy enough streaming Sky Go so kinda surprised that they won't make a full Sky package which is all streamable like that.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I don't get the decluttering to be honest - I've 1 TV, 1 Sky Q box (which is a neat little thing anyway) and a Soundbar. 3 power cables, 2 HDMI's all out of sight. I don't have a nest of cables and devices all over the place.

Also, my sky box Q freezes at least 1once every other day so the quality of the technology would have to be a hell of a lot better than the Sky Q tech
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:50 pm I don't get the decluttering to be honest - I've 1 TV, 1 Sky Q box (which is a neat little thing anyway) and a Soundbar. 3 power cables, 2 HDMI's all out of sight. I don't have a nest of cables and devices all over the place.

Also, my sky box Q freezes at least 1once every other day so the quality of the technology would have to be a hell of a lot better than the Sky Q tech
1 TV, 1 power cable, 1 coax cable. :D
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

So basically any tv from the last 15 years with a streaming stick stuck in the back😂

Doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest, but then sky tv never has.

I’d much rather just press a button to switch inputs than have to talk to my tv like a plonker too.

Built in sound bar? Is it any good? If it was such a great idea others would already do it, I guess most don’t so the tv plus soundbar can be tailored to the users preference and budget a lot easier than forcing it into the package.

If you want a console you’re still going to have to add it, if you want to use another streaming service they have fallen out with you’ll still need another stick.

I bet as the main sales pitch is to ‘declutter’ they’ll use it as an excuse to cheap out on any extra inputs should you want to add your own devices.
Cheers, Harry
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I have quite a lot of stuff plugged into my TV but due to the wonders of Shelves and wireless game controllers you only see the TV and the soundbar from the couch. I'm not really interested in a Sky TV but that's because I don't have any plans to get Sky.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Maybe it’ll be a similar model to their sky q box where you rent the tv whilst you have a subscription. I can see that appealing to a lot of people especially if you’re renting somewhere etc. Probably helps a few people onto the 4K band wagon as well. They have a deal for a heavily discounted sound bar already, so they are quite clever at keeping you invested in their products.
Renting the Sky Q box isn't anything odd - Virgin Media retain ownership of their Tivo boxes and have done for years with previous set top boxes. It's better that you don't own them to be honest, because you can get an upgrade to the latest device without having to shell out. But a TV itself isn't something people have rented since Radio Rentals died :lol: What happens if you want your Sky content on a bedroom telly, too? Easy with the smaller Q Mini box, impossible with this system.

Make it a device like a Chromecast, force people to rent rather than buy if that's Sky's preferred model, and don't try to compete with the TV and hi-fi manufacturers at their own game.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There was a PS2 with a built in TV from Sony!
How about not having a sig at all?