Sky Glass

jamcg

Re: Sky Glass

Post by jamcg »

No ideas of the puck but we’ve got the tv. I’d take sky q over it if it were an option, which for me it isn’t because trees.

It works well, the integration of sky/Netflix/prime/Disney etc. but it’s not without issues- the voice control isn’t up there with Siri/Alexa but it’s ok- I switch off the “hello sky” because it randomly decides something in the audio was asking it to trigger. The remote doesn’t have enough buttons- for example hdmi is selected with an on screen menu or voice control. It is dependant on high speed internet, if that goes down you’ve got a monitor basically. There’s no recording so if it’s on live tv but not on catch up you can’t “tape” it. It occasionally looses sync between sound and vision but a pause and play or channel swap soon sorts it

I won’t comment on the picture because I’m not a tv-ophile but I think it’s good but I await someone telling me it’s crap because xyz. It’s a great thing to look regardless at with the coloured aluminium exterior
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Boo to no recording. Can you pause the live stream?

Also with Netflix I see that it’s only £5 a month on Sky rather than the £11 I currently pay. Do you get to make multiple accounts and watch it on devices other than Sky?
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Yes you can pause, you can also turn onto a channel and select watch from start. The Netflix binds an account to your sky account so if you do get one be very careful which account you log into first. Apart from that it’s Netflix just you pay sky instead- basic standard def is included with the glass package so you just pay the extra for the 4k and more devices
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sounds good, cheers.
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

You can pause live TV but only for about 10 mins. Then you lose it all.
You can’t record anything.
You cannot stream everything. Films on non-Sky channels cannot be streamed. So if there is a film on somewhere and you don’t want to pay for it, you have to make like the 80s and watch it when it’s on.
The TV sound is good, picture too.
Installation is easy if you can deal with the mountain of packaging in which the unit is delivered.

But we’re going back to Sky Q and in fact they are coming to install it on Monday. Glass’s all streaming approach and the fact that some channels still aren’t available (wife is a big QVC fan) killed the idea for us. We’re keeping the TV and changing the sub to Q, which Sky are happy to do. Based on what they told me, they have a few people doing this…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I got a sky Q put in a couple of months ago and we’re very pleased with it. On a side note we ditched the massivly unreliable Virgin broadband amd I bought a 3 5g hub. The speed with multiple items connected is astonishing.£10 a month for the first 6 month and £20 thereafter. You can even take it on holiday with you!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:03 am You can pause live TV but only for about 10 mins. Then you lose it all.
You can’t record anything.
You cannot stream everything. Films on non-Sky channels cannot be streamed. So if there is a film on somewhere and you don’t want to pay for it, you have to make like the 80s and watch it when it’s on.
The TV sound is good, picture too.
Installation is easy if you can deal with the mountain of packaging in which the unit is delivered.

But we’re going back to Sky Q and in fact they are coming to install it on Monday. Glass’s all streaming approach and the fact that some channels still aren’t available (wife is a big QVC fan) killed the idea for us. We’re keeping the TV and changing the sub to Q, which Sky are happy to do. Based on what they told me, they have a few people doing this…
I know a few people that have ditched sky glass and gone back to Q.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

As I said earlier I’d have the q over glass but sadly I can’t. This is the only situation Glass is worth it