Petrol the new toilet roll

Jimmy Choo

Re: Petrol the new toilet roll

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:00 pm
Gavster wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:26 pm I zoned out at the pump for a few moments and overshot my target price by £15 😂
target price? Isn't that "full"? 😀
Clearly Gavster has given all of his cash to Ukrainians and forgot to keep any to fill up his car.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Gavster wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:26 pm I zoned out at the pump for a few moments and overshot my target price by £15 😂
Yeah there was fuel everywhere, it was a right mess ;)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:04 pm
Clearly Gavster has given all of his cash to Ukrainians and forgot to keep any to fill up his car.
There's a managed cash flow situation happening right now, that's for sure. Nothing to do with Ukraine though, business growing pains.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gavster wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:31 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:04 pm
Rich B wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:00 pm target price? Isn't that "full"? 😀
There's a managed cash flow situation happening right now, that's for sure. Nothing to do with Ukraine though, business growing pains.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story! :roll:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

For the last few days the local BP has 196.9p for diesel and 195.9 for petrol, the Shell 3mins down the road has it in the 180s like most have had. Yet there was still a number of people on the forecourt when I drove past earlier. Fuel cards so they don't GAF? :?
Beany

Post by Beany »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 pm For the last few days the local BP has 196.9p for diesel and 195.9 for petrol, the Shell 3mins down the road has it in the 180s like most have had. Yet there was still a number of people on the forecourt when I drove past earlier. Fuel cards so they don't GAF? :?
Have to drive for/to work so they don't lose thier income, more likely.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

BP garage on the A1, Tyne and Wear.

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Beany wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:32 pm
duncs500 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 pm For the last few days the local BP has 196.9p for diesel and 195.9 for petrol, the Shell 3mins down the road has it in the 180s like most have had. Yet there was still a number of people on the forecourt when I drove past earlier. Fuel cards so they don't GAF? :?
Have to drive for/to work so they don't lose thier income, more likely.
What I'm asking, is why they're not filling up at another place down the road that's 10p/L cheaper?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh, that's probably just stupidity.

Edit: to be more clear, some people think that the price at petrol stations is basically the same everywhere, not realising that some places are just price gouging cunts. So they don't look around.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Beany wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:58 am Oh, that's probably just stupidity.

Edit: to be more clear, some people think that the price at petrol stations is basically the same everywhere, not realising that some places are just price gouging cunts. So they don't look around.
Surely everyone knows that? :shock:

Honestly, both roads are on the way into town with little other destinations in between, so most would drive past both and both of them have prominently displayed pricing signs. To be fair, they are both usually broadly the same price, so maybe people get to the BP first and just figure that's just the price now, then kick themselves when they go past the Shell after filling up.
Beany

Post by Beany »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:34 am
Beany wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:58 am Oh, that's probably just stupidity.

Surely everyone knows that? :shock:

Honestly, both roads are on the way into town with little other destinations in between, so most would drive past both and both of them have prominently displayed pricing signs. To be fair, they are both usually broadly the same price, so maybe people get to the BP first and just figure that's just the price now, then kick themselves when they go past the Shell after filling up.
You'd be surprised how many people don't realise how big the difference can be.

There was a slightly hairy FB post by the beeb yesterday about a station in Sheffield at 202p/litre for diesel, and plenty of people in the comments seemed surprised because thier local station was still at 180-190, not realising that some stations are literally just price gouging twats.

It's like they've never driven on a motorway before, where the price mysteriously rises by 10p/litre every time you're 20 miles from a major town :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Better quality of food in the BP? Picking up something got dinner etc - our local one is a M&S...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:D Could be. There are also a lot of people round here with a lot of money, so maybe it's simply not a concern.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

There’s also a massive lack of shopping around for fuel. If people have always used the bp they’ll continue to use the bp
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’ll admit, I use one and a half tanks per month so the saving between the most expensive and the cheapest station is £9

So I don’t shop around. Need petrol, there’s a station, buy petrol. I don’t really give it much thought
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Since the price of fuel has gone up so fast, I have found that my preferred Asda filling station right on a junction of the M5 is either out of fuel, has long queues for the pay-at-pumps due to nobody manning the kiosk or simply isn't cheapest. After a few failures to fill up there I've stopped bothering to check it now.

Which means I've run the gauntlet of finding alternative filling stations. As the cost of a tank has gone up over £100 I avoid all pay-at-pumps on the basis that they cut off at £99.99; I could do the payment again to finish filling but I really can't be arsed. And places that historically were cheaper are no longer the cheapest; it depends on how much they randomly decide to increase the price that day. Petrolprices.com can't be updated quickly enough to be properly useful either. So now that it matters to me more that I save a few pence per litre, I have stopped looking at the cost. Probably spending about £600 a month on diesel currently :(
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simple case of can't be arsed. Don't concern yourself with it.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

£2.49 for diesel in Chelsea today 😭
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 pm Since the price of fuel has gone up so fast, I have found that my preferred Asda filling station right on a junction of the M5 is either out of fuel, has long queues for the pay-at-pumps due to nobody manning the kiosk or simply isn't cheapest. After a few failures to fill up there I've stopped bothering to check it now.

Which means I've run the gauntlet of finding alternative filling stations. As the cost of a tank has gone up over £100 I avoid all pay-at-pumps on the basis that they cut off at £99.99; I could do the payment again to finish filling but I really can't be arsed. And places that historically were cheaper are no longer the cheapest; it depends on how much they randomly decide to increase the price that day. Petrolprices.com can't be updated quickly enough to be properly useful either. So now that it matters to me more that I save a few pence per litre, I have stopped looking at the cost. Probably spending about £600 a month on diesel currently :(
Shell has £150 app limit.. I imagine others will have too
Cheers,

Ian
Simon

Post by Simon »

Is that a new thing? When I filled up with the app a couple of weeks ago (pay at pump) it was £100.
The artist formerly known as _Who_