Petrol the new toilet roll

integrale_evo

Re: Petrol the new toilet roll

Post by integrale_evo »

Mrs spotted a tanker at tesco around 5:30 yesterday while getting some shopping, I popped past around 9:30 and straight onto a pump. Have a nice full tank which will keep me going another week.
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

Ascender wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:28 am Its still amazing to see some of the pictures of people filling up a dozen plastic fuel cans at a time or using whatever containers they can find. And those kicking lumps out of each other. Is there any hope for the country??
Sunlit uplands Mike, SUNLIT UPLANDS!!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Can’t imagine something like a world war happening today with all the rationing. Would probably become an actual Mad Max scene.

Also it’s good to see that the government can’t organise a piss up in a brewery once again. First we’re told this problem will only last a few days and we don’t need any foreigners or the arm. Then we’re told it’s peaked and now it’s getting better but we’ll give out some visas to truckers. Now we’re told most the country is alright but we’ll bring in the army. Meanwhile it seems as bad as ever where I am and some industry experts are saying it will get worse and last until Christmas.
Whaddafuck is actually going on 🙄
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Marv wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:45 am
Ascender wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:28 am Its still amazing to see some of the pictures of people filling up a dozen plastic fuel cans at a time or using whatever containers they can find. And those kicking lumps out of each other. Is there any hope for the country??
Sunlit uplands Mike, SUNLIT UPLANDS!!
😂
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in government meeting as they absolutely must be discussing the fact that they seem to be able to literally do anything and people will still vote for them.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

While out and about today I drove past four petrol stations. Two had no fuel, other two had half a mile of queues. One with people queueing in both directions, completely blocking a roundabout that's at the best of times a traffic choke point.

Glad we have the Zoe as an alternative to the Galaxy.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

They've had to move the bus stop around the corner as it was 50m down from the petrol station and there have been consistent queues day and night blocking it :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Must be lucky round here as there have been no fuel issues whatsoever. Completely different to the more built up areas that I've visited during the week which have been a bit of a shit show.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

My Mum (nearly 80) has recently had two serious strokes, and fallen and badly broken her dominant arm.

Her husband (84) has fallen and badly bruised/possible hairline fracture in his hip

My Aunt's been in hospital for the past month and is now in a care home with a probable dementia diagnosis

And my car is on fumes

I went out about 1am to look for petrol. Only one place had any and that had police and an enormous queue

So I can't visit or help any of them - which fucking sucks!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:07 pm Also it’s good to see that the government can’t organise a piss up in a brewery once again. First we’re told this problem will only last a few days and we don’t need any foreigners or the arm. Then we’re told it’s peaked and now it’s getting better but we’ll give out some visas to truckers. Now we’re told most the country is alright but we’ll bring in the army. Meanwhile it seems as bad as ever where I am and some industry experts are saying it will get worse and last until Christmas.
Whaddafuck is actually going on 🙄
I think the message that “this is all because of panic buying” is stretching credulity at this stage. If that were the case, things would be back to normal already. Demand is now back to normal and there isn’t enough slack in the system to mop up for the spike in demand last weekend.

And typical gov - the stats are getting twisted. 2/3 of independent stations surveyed were dry last weekend, 16% today. But those 16% are in the areas where demand is highest (urban areas but especially London / SE as far as I can tell). The big queues are because there only a handful of petrol stations serving areas that would normally have many.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Does seem daft that it’s taking so long to get back to normal, I guess everyone who couldn’t get any at the start needs fuel by now, and everyone who did go and bring their tank is keeping it full. I know I’ll be reluctant to let mine drop below 1/2 for a while now.

There really should be some sort of plan in place to be able to get supplies out given the very real possibility of the country grinding to a halt.
Cheers, Harry
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

It's back to normal round here now, all garage open, no queues.

The rain is probably helping though as people aren't going out.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Out and about in the Doncaster area today, 2 asdas, 3 Morriston and several local petrol stations all have fuel, no queues, no panic buying and no profiteering either. All seems normal. Totally different to home. Could it be that be that people in the South are selfish bellends?
Marv

Post by Marv »

drcarlos wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:02 pm Could it be that be that people in the South are selfish bellends?
Of course :lol:

Went into the local town yesterday evening, to get some things from the supermarket. Didn't need fuel, but I passed the 5 petrol stations in town. 4 of them had no fuel and the 5th had fuel with huge queues.

I suspect Explosive Newt is correct that the panic buying excuse is losing credibility at this point...
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Might also be that we have fewer petrol stations per person. I can count a good 10 which have closed in the last 6 years alone. London is generally underserved.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well came to Kent yesterday, bought a full tank of diesel for the Defender this morning however I’d rather not drive that back to London and my other cars are on fumes and there’s still no petrol 😂
I could drain the quad of its 10 litres of fuel and add it to the Mito which probably has a gallon remaining which would add up to 3 gallons. This would be just enough to get me to London if there’s no massive traffic jams.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:51 pm ... 3 gallons. This would be just enough to get me to London if there’s no massive traffic jams.
:shock: :!:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I have a rental van this weekend and didn’t want to get raped on the refuelling costs went out earlier to get some diesel.

After 4 or 5 closed stations, I gave up and went to Newport Pagnell services. I have the code to access it from the town.

£1.58/litre :shock: but all sorted
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Definte North/South divide. Scotland was fine and when I passed through West Yorkshire for lunch with my parents, that was fine too. But as we started to close in on Cambridgeshire, there were closed stations and queues.

Fortunately I have 2/3 of a tank of honest Northern petrol to see me through for a while...
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

My parents’ local petrol station - Birdham nr. Chichester - apparently had fighting and police presence this week. :shock: