1000bhp

Nefarious

1000bhp

Post by Nefarious »

Idle daydreaming game, inspired by Andy Forest's 1,500bhp Westfield (https://www.facebook.com/SuperlapScotla ... 0805827863 if you've not seen it) - Given a clean sheet of paper, how would you go about achieving a 4 figure output that isn't grenade-spec, phone-number budget, or the weight of a moon (i.e. no Merlins or 6BTs).

Obvious answers are:
LS or other big V8 with a snail or two
RB26 + big turbo (s)
JZ1 + big turbo
Multi-rotor 13B + big turbo (s)
S85 mit turbos

Go on, lets have your leftfield suggestions...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
dinny_g

Re: 1000bhp

Post by dinny_g »

I’m no engineer but W220 S65’s can be bought for not much monies…

Get one, remove engine, turn up to 11 ??

Probably breaks the weight of the moon rule mind…😂 and also the 4 figure output
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Funnily enough I was going to add "M275 + air filter and chip" to my list ;-)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

LS and a twin turbo kit is probably the easiest way tbh. £10k and a salvage truck engine will get you the numbers reliably.

RBs and JZs are big money these days.

If you can find one here the Barra will make the power but they’re heavy.

The rotary would probably suit the car most. Go wild and get that guy in New Zealand to build you a 4 rotor :lol:.

My chosen route would be an old school big block Chevy and a supercharger. Will make that kind of power all day, heavy though.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Cheers @Nefarious - I hadn’t seen that lap 😎

Since Ultima reckon they can tune it to a reliable 1200bhp, I’d almost certainly go with a crate LT5 lump.

Being a total bore, I shall remind you of a conversation with AF whilst he was remapping my WRX and I was poking over his drag/sprint Impreza. He had recently fitted a flat 6 from an SVX with two turbos the size of my head. He claimed to be fed up blowing up flat-4 units in search of more power, and reckoned this one would be good for 800bhp with complete reliability. He paused at this point and added “but I know I’ll then keep pushing it further in til it blows up too” and shrugged. 😎
Foz

Post by Foz »

That’s things mental, was running very low boost as well 🥴
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Probably kind of weighty but it’s quite a statement

An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

B58 lump is plenty tunable

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Nefarious wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:06 am Funnily enough I was going to add "M275 + air filter and chip" to my list ;-)
I saw an old default Silver one in Milton Keynes a few weeks ago and got thinking about Exiges Cl and Lemmy’s Sl and did some Autotrading. I couldn’t believe how cheap a Twin Turbo V12 could be got for.

I mean Bankruptcy on a Stick but come on, it’s a Twin Turbo V12 8-)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I mean avoiding the obvious V8+boost.

NA V16 from two LS V8s https://www.xvipower.com/

NA HEXrotor goes close

Two of those 2.8 SC V8s from the Caterham Levante.

26B with a big turbo
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Any built Chevy V8 and a big single turbo.

Parts galore and lots of iterations to build from.

Dave!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

What sort of 1000bhp are you looking for? For track, drag, dailying on normal fuel? I mean, if you had an engine capable of the full 1k but normally ran a map that was only xxxbhp, would that count? I'm just curious because of the different ways of getting there :)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

David Freiburger recently built a N/A Chevy big block that had about 1100bhp for his new Model A drag car.

Won’t be as cheap or easy to daily as a FI one but it would be a riot to drive.
An absolute unit
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

nuttinnew wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:02 pm What sort of 1000bhp are you looking for? For track, drag, dailying on normal fuel? I mean, if you had an engine capable of the full 1k but normally ran a map that was only xxxbhp, would that count? I'm just curious because of the different ways of getting there :)
Hadn't specifically thought out firm "rules", but I guess I was picturing "real" 1000bhp - i.e. jump in car, 1000bhp under your right foot. So no nitromethane or nitrous oxide, no silly maps to double the boost for 3 seconds (and *maybe* go pop).

Thinking about it - the challenge of finding/designing the engine is actually smaller than all the other challenges of getting it actually working in a car. Re: Zed's link for the swedish meteor - I remember Charlie Broomfields meteor engined-SD1, and he couldn't find a gearbox to take the power that wasn't a million pounds, and/or actually driveable for anything other than quarter miles. He also had to keep it na because he just couldn't control the heat with any forced induction once the thing was actually enclosed in bodywork.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You can get a couple of reasonably priced gearboxes that’ll handle about 1000bhp. The gearstar turbo 400 auto and the G-Force T56 manual will both do it and not be a pain in the arse to use.

The issue would be packaging. All that stuff is designed to go into American cars so if you look at squashing it into a European or Japanese sports car you’re looking at a lot of money modding the car.

The aforementioned 1100bhp big block Model A needed a tonne of chassis and body mods to take the engine safely.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 am
The issue would be packaging. All that stuff is designed to go into American cars so if you look at squashing it into a European or Japanese sports car you’re looking at a lot of money modding the car.
Or. Even comes with a T-56 / TR6060 already bolted on.

NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

In terms of packaging, I was thinking of using an MPV shell as the starting point, plenty of room for a big engine in the back and room for cooling. :D
My other thought is twin engined, "only" have to worry about getting to 500bhp each and there a number of decent 4 cylinder engines that can reach 500bhp to choose from (nab a few Redbull Rally cross engines), you get 4wd for "free" so traction less of an issue (otherwise you will need room for huge rear tyres and you end up with a car that is not dissimilar to a dragster), also might actually reduce packaging challenges of a single big engine and big turbo.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

My other thought is the Kamaz Dakar truck, it has a 13l 1150bhp Cummins derv, could we fit that under the shell of something big like a Discovery ?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

mik wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:49 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 am
Or. Even comes with a T-56 / TR6060 already bolted on.

Doesn’t count if it was originally built in Southern Hemisphere America ;).

Tbh the T56 isn’t a huge gearbox. I was thinking more of cramming an LS, big turbot and assorted cooling/inter cooling gubbins into a caterfield or something like that. As Nef said it’s a tights squeeze.
An absolute unit
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 am You can get a couple of reasonably priced gearboxes that’ll handle about 1000bhp. The gearstar turbo 400 auto and the G-Force T56 manual will both do it and not be a pain in the arse to use.
My comment above was in reference to using the Meteor engine - I think Charlie used an auto Jag box and a step down torque converter from a Sherpa. Fine (well, ish) for c.1000bhp. Most definitely not fine for the 2000bhp if he'd turbo'd it.

And re. the Cummins suggestion - there's a tractor-pulling guy in the states that builds Cummins 6BTs/ISBs with 3000bhp-ish. All the other guys are rattling through half a dozen $50k engines in a season. He just accepts that an engine will last one run, fills all the cooling system with concrete, and treats the block/head/internals as disposable. <$2k per engine, and when it blows up you bolt the fancy fuel pump and turbo to the next block.

As the original thought was inspired by AF's Westfield, I suppose I was thinking of massive power you could put in something that could vaguely be described as a sportscar, rather than trucks and off-road stuff. It's quite hard, actually.

I know TVR played about with some massive power options (a la the Speed 12 etc). The Typhon, which was supposed to have a supercharged Speed 6 never did because it would literally melt the front bodywork. Similarly, the AJP has been turbo'd for 800+bhp but just couldn't shift the heat in a Cerbera body.