Why not a smart meter?

DeskJockey

Re: Why not a smart meter?

Post by DeskJockey »

We've had ours for a couple of years and I'm not sure there's any difference. Gas one has never worked. Leccy mostly works, but regularly seems to lose the connection. Only way to get it back is to turn it off. Not very impressive.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (39.1 KiB) Viewed 417 times
WAKE UP SHEEPLE :lol:
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

While I don't have a smart meter for an entirely different reason (almost no mobile signal at home so they don't work here), aggregating usage data is surely a good thing for running the electricity generation industry? Making electricity cheaper when there is less demand is also a good thing - Octopus Go gives EV users a really cheap rate during the night even now when there is very low base load but power generation has to keep going; it's not like a battery circuit which can be turned on and off.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I've had one fitted last month and was assured the newer devices would work if i change providers.

The reasoning for requiring one is the same as the chap above not wanting one :lol:

£4k on energy the last 12 months so I'm looking at shifting some use to the night time to try and benefit from an economy 7 type tariff.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The trouble I see is they will make your tariff SO COMPLICATED you'll never fully understand what you'll be expecting to pay. It's a sly way of making even more money.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

They just have an off peak rate ! edf were doing 15p a unit for 9pm-7am and all weekend with 40p any other time.

I don't see the catch if you already use those periods and can shift some more use into them. 15p for 58% of the week !
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I want my gas and electricity meters to be moved, so every time they call me regarding fitting a smart meter I tell them that I'd love to go ahead and that they can sort out the dangerous placement of my meters at the same time. Hoping that one day, someone will agree to move the meters for free...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:20 am Capture.PNG

My mate's obsessed with this "Government is out to get us - do your own research". :lol: I just glaze over to be honest. I find it all a little embarrassing for him. Stay at Home Dad with too much time to read the wrong stuff on the internet.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I mean, the government is out to get us pretty brazenly :lol:

They've no need to be secret about it.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:16 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:20 am Capture.PNG

"do your own research"
Nobody with a PhD has ever said that :lol: in fact, people who have actually done real research generally will take any excuse to talk about it for hours
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:30 pm I mean, the government is out to get us pretty brazenly :lol:

I don't think Governments are any different now than they were before - It's all down to the "Cult of the Individual". A generation of entitled people, with social media to vent, who feel that ALL government Policies should be for THEIR individual benefit. Policy specifically tailored to help them. So when a Government Policy helps another group or is intended to indirectly support them, rather than directly, it's "the Government are out to get us".
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:20 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:30 pm I mean, the government is out to get us pretty brazenly :lol:

I don't think Governments are any different now than they were before - It's all down to the "Cult of the Individual". A generation of entitled people, with social media to vent, who feel that ALL government Policies should be for THEIR individual benefit. Policy specifically tailored to help them. So when a Government Policy helps another group or is intended to indirectly support them, rather than directly, it's "the Government are out to get us".
those pesky poor people!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Smart meters are rubbish simply because if you install solar panels they don't run backwards :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:51 am those pesky poor people!
Ah it's everyone really to one extent or another...

The Ancestral Rich and inheritance Tax - the Government is out to get us
Landowners and Farmers with Access Laws - the Government is out to get us
The Pacifists and Defence Spending - the Government is out to get us
The Environmentalists and Energy Legislation - the Government is out to get us
The NIMBY Middle Classes and affordable housing - the Government is out to get us
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:20 am

They really are squeezing the middle tho. Fiscal drag for one where they don't raise anything inline with inflation. You just get poorer.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

everyone's getting squeezed (apart from the people at the top of course).

Which was kind of my point, everyone is feeling the pinch of what's happening just now to different degrees but the government was still trying to get a tax cut for their pals through at the expense of everyone else.

There's been very little made of them scrapping the bonus cap for bankers.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:13 am
There's been very little made of them scrapping the bonus cap for bankers.
They pay tax on more money so whats the problem?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The ridiculous bonus culture that incentivised bankers to take big risks for short term gains was a root cause of the 2008 collapse.

If you believe that anyone who make 7+ figures in banking pays full income tax on their earnings I've got a bridge to sell you :lol:
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:22 am The ridiculous bonus culture that incentivised bankers to take big risks for short term gains was a root cause of the 2008 collapse.

If you believe that anyone who make 7+ figures in banking pays full income tax on their earnings I've got a bridge to sell you :lol:
But they still get paid it now but in other ways :lol: :lol: