Labour Party

ZedLeg

Labour Party

Post by ZedLeg »

Doesn't look like it's long for the world in it's current form.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... aving-push

What a mess they've made of things.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Re: Labour Party

Post by Broccers »

Tragedy
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's staggering to think that there hasn't really been a true Labour party in power since I was 1yo.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:08 pm Doesn't look like it's long for the world in it's current form.

The Labour Party's big problem is that they don't have a coherent position on who they are. The left and centre of the party spend so much time fighting that they're not a serious threat to the walking open goal that is Johnson's cuntery.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:55 pm Johnson's cuntery.
Sounds like the name of an 18th Century gynecologists
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:54 pmTragedy
Love the idea of a right wing one party state do you broccers?
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:55 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:08 pm Doesn't look like it's long for the world in it's current form.

The Labour Party's big problem is that they don't have a coherent position on who they are. The left and centre of the party spend so much time fighting that they're not a serious threat to the walking open goal that is Johnson's cuntery.
Exactly that, Labour should have had no problem building a majority over the last two years but they've pissed it away trying to entice people who won't vote for them while burying the people who were paying their fees. Starmer has been a disaster for them, who wants to see the leader of the opposition constantly agreeing with the prime minister over his own party supporters.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:20 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:54 pmTragedy
Love the idea of a right wing one party state do you broccers?
I'd vote for Labour if they had any brains / characters worth supporting. They seem to be so un electable its better the devil you know.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Labour's problem is a reluctance to accept the old Left wing politics just doesn't hold enough appeal, nationally, to win or sustain a majority

New Labour was a success because they kept just enough of the left not to alienate too many of the the rank and file but adopted enough of the centrist and to a certain extent, rightish policies to entice enough Liberal or conservative leaning voters to their party.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Shocking moment of agreement between you and I there broccers.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:32 pm Labour's problem is a reluctance to accept the old Left wing politics just doesn't hold enough appeal, nationally, to win or sustain a majority

New Labour was a success because they kept just enough of the left not to alienate too many of the the rank and file but adopted enough of the centrist and to a certain extent, rightish policies to entice enough Liberal or conservative leaning voters to their party.
I don't think that's the case, left wing politics still holds appeal for a large proportion of the public. The issue that labour has is that every time the Murdoch and Dacre press start aiming at them they shit themselves and backpedal.

Obviously their other problem is that they've essentially lost Scotland as they're pro union. That's not going to change because they've traditionally needed the Scottish vote to get over the line.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:37 pm
dinny_g wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:32 pm Labour's problem is a reluctance to accept the old Left wing politics just doesn't hold enough appeal, nationally, to win or sustain a majority

I don't think that's the case, left wing politics still holds appeal for a large proportion of the public. The issue that labour has is that every time the Murdoch and Dacre press start aiming at them they shit themselves and backpedal.

Obviously their other problem is that they've essentially lost Scotland as they're pro union. That's not going to change because they've traditionally needed the Scottish vote to get over the line.
I, respectfully, disagree. Most people are still largely centrist imo save for a few noisy ones in their echo chambers), albeit perhaps increasingly polarised either left or right on certain very specific matters. The two party system is now wholly unfit for purpose as it was always based on left or right.

We're fucked, basically.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:40 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:37 pm

I, respectfully, disagree. Most people are still largely centrist imo save for a few noisy ones in their echo chambers), albeit perhaps increasingly polarised either left or right on certain very specific matters. The two party system is now wholly unfit for purpose as it was always based on left or right.

We're fucked, basically.
Eh I don't know, obviously I'm not the best judge as my political circle is practically communist but it seems that among people my age and younger the range seems to go from moderately to extremely left wing. Obviously the aging population tends to push the politics the other way but I'm not sure we'll see the slide to the centre right that you would normally expect as millenials and Gen Z get older.

I mean, I'm 37 and if anything I'm more left wing than I was 15 years ago.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Education directs people to the left. Its run by the left. They get media jobs and become massive leftists.

You would think with all that ammo they would walk it - not even mentioning the millions of voters tony let in under immigration.

They really must be that bad.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:56 pm Being educated directs people to the left.
Education, and being educated are two different things ;)
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Beany wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:12 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:56 pm Being educated directs people to the left.
Education, and being educated are two different things ;)
Indoctrination. 😀
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

A lot of Labour's problems stem from the fact that a good 80% of the press is Tory. Look at the hatchet job they did on Corbyn.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Corbyn was a disaster, with or without the press.

Starmer's current problem is either that he's backing up the Tories against the 'working man' (see his upcoming support for raising NI to pay for social care - a levy that only working people will pay and not anyone who actually uses social care), or he's criticising the Tories but offering no credible alternative plan of his own.

Labour needs to start offering a realistic alternative rather than spending the days shouting at clouds.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Delphi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:40 pm A lot of Labour's problems stem from the fact that a good 80% of the press is Tory. Look at the hatchet job they did on Corbyn.
😂 No they aren't they just didn't like Jc for very good reasons. Half his own party didn't.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, the centrist half who then brought Starmer in. Good work lads :lol:
An absolute unit