If a tumble dryer

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

If a tumble dryer

Post by Gavin »

Just shuts off, tripping the extension and the heat coming off it even after 30 seconds is intense, it is the thermocouple that is stopping the temp regulation isn't it?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: If a tumble dryer

Post by Sundayjumper »

Might also be the heating element has melted & shorted out.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:56 pm Might also be the heating element has melted & shorted out.
so most likely humped? :( not even 2 years old as well.

I can reset the extension and it will come on then trip after twenty odd seconds?
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:56 pm Might also be the heating element has melted & shorted out.
That sounds most likely.

You can buy new elements. I did this once with a tumbler and the main bearing on the drum failed about 2months later so it got binned anyway.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Planned obsolescence!
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Not teaching to suck eggs but is the extension lead fully unwound ?

Also I got a sock out of a friends tumble dryer as it had somehow got on top of the drum and was making a racket. The amount of fluff in there was incredible.

Dave!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I've fitted 2 new elements to my current dryer and it's still soldiering on. They seem to last about 4 years, then start to fire the thermal trip on the dryer on a regular basis before they ultimately die and short tripping the breaker.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:28 am Not teaching to suck eggs but is the extension lead fully unwound ?
That's a good thing to check tbh. We nearly had a fire in the warehouse at work because someone had connected a bunch of stuff to a big drum extension with half the cable still wound on the drum. It got so hot the covering melted and shorted the extension, when I found it the handle was too hot for me to pick up.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:15 pm We nearly had a fire in the warehouse at work because someone had connected a bunch of stuff to a big drum extension with half the cable still wound on the drum. It got so hot the covering melted and shorted the extension, when I found it the handle was too hot for me to pick up.
That’s the source of the phrase “too hot to handle”
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

:lol:
An absolute unit
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

@V8Granite Yes, it has always been on a long extension, rather than a windy up one.

I did strip the top and back off but it was like new, no trapped fluff which I had hoped for. Managed to take it to the dump earlier and picked up a sh one from a house clearance in the next village over, an old lady had it and I don't think it is old or much used and for £50 for a condensing one I don't have to faff with a vent kit either. Cheers all.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Well got 6 months out the s/h condenser so just bought a Heat Pump AEG for a lot more. Saves the planet though...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Hope it lasts longer than our heat pump Samsung. Which tbf is still going but its basically grinding itself to pieces as the chassis has gone on the wonk (worn bearing I think). Just over 3yrs old. And its already had all new bearings, fan and other bits in the 1st 2yrs whilst under warranty.

I haven't bothered repairing it, despite knowing what it needs, as the parts are only warrantied for 9mo...

Might as well let it grind itself to death amd just replace with something not Samsung