Euro 2020

DaveE

Re: Euro 2020

Post by DaveE »

I still can't hear Gareth Southgate's name without thinking of Harry Hill's badger parade
Simon

Post by Simon »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:02 pm
Simon wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:59 pm At least Kane didn't miss. He wasn't great tonight, apart from his penalty.

Gutted for Rashford and Saka. That's gonna hit them hard.
Disagree. Kane had a great 1st half.
Really? I like the guy but tonight he just seemed too slow on the ball, too slow with his decisions when Italy were all over him and too slow to move around the pitch.

It's the best team I've ever seen England pitch and they've done amazingly well, on and off the pitch so I guess I didn't want to single Kane out, but he was the weaker of an otherwise great side.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 pm
Simon wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:59 pm At least Kane didn't miss. He wasn't great tonight, apart from his penalty.

Gutted for Rashford and Saka. That's gonna hit them hard.
Really? I like the guy but tonight he just seemed too slow on the ball, too slow with his decisions when Italy were all over him and too slow to move around the pitch.

It's the best team I've ever seen England pitch and they've done amazingly well, on and off the pitch so I guess I didn't want to single Kane out, but he was the weaker of an otherwise great side.
He held the ball up well, played well out of tight spots. His 1st half was much like his last 2-3 games - great support play. 2nd half though they changed shape and he was cut out of it as they played too deep.

Sterling was off the boil tonight and I'd have had him off much earlier.

On the whole though? We finished in the semis at 2018 WC amd the final at the 2020(1) Euros. That's progression and all you can ask for. They're a great young side and the depth of talent is promising.

To lose on pens to by far the best side of the tournament is decent imo
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:27 pm
Simon wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 pm

He held the ball up well, played well out of tight spots. His 1st half was much like his last 2-3 games - great support play. 2nd half though they changed shape and he was cut out of it as they played too deep.

Sterling was off the boil tonight and I'd have had him off much earlier.

On the whole though? We finished in the semis at 2018 WC amd the final at the 2020(1) Euros. That's progression and all you can ask for. They're a great young side and the depth of talent is promising.

Correct 👍
Simon

Post by Simon »

Even my Italian step-mother-in-law was supporting England tonight. 👍🏻
The artist formerly known as _Who_
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:27 pm

If you'd offered that at the start you'd have had your arm ripped off. As it is, the character assassinations have already begun.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:27 pm On the whole though? We finished in the semis at 2018 WC amd the final at the 2020(1) Euros. That's progression and all you can ask for. They're a great young side and the depth of talent is promising.

This. How often do we get to watch England go through the whole tournament, they've been brilliant.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

You guys get a grudging gesture of sympampthy from the Antipodes. That was a savage way to finish.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Fair play to Italy, they've looked quality from start to finish, they've beaten Belgium, Spain and England. They're worthy champions and if England weren't in the final I probably would have cheered them on against most other teams.

Tough for us, but a young group with lots to look forward to in future tournaments. World Cup final next year is on 18th December, would love to get there.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Depressingly predictable news about racist abuse from shitheads on social media this morning.

Messages of support seem to be much louder though.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

We had 45 mins of spanking Italy in a Euros final.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What a strange game last night was. I thought England should have gone for it at 1-0 but instead seemed to play a lot of the game with everyone behind the ball to try and just stop Italy. I thought Italy were there for the taking in that first 20 minutes or so when they looked really rattled. Pickford made some great saves across the piece.

As for penalties, I'm an old school believer that you should pick your place and just hit it. All of these staggered run ups (aka fucking about) trying to make the keeper go first would give me the fear as a manager.

We watched it on the Beeb for UHD, but I thought both commentary teams were dire. Tyldsley and McCoist for me all the way.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:20 am Depressingly predictable news about racist abuse from shitheads on social media this morning.

Did they fuck up Leicester Square any further or did the police kick them out of there?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:40 am We had 45 mins of spanking Italy in a Euros final.
Yeah, I think that if they’d been more aggressive in the first half they would’ve had it but as it is taking Italy to Penalties is nothing to be ashamed of.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Beany wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:57 am
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:20 am Depressingly predictable news about racist abuse from shitheads on social media this morning.

Did they fuck up Leicester Square any further or did the police kick them out of there?
Not sure, I think the police had everything locked down after the game.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

England just couldn't seem to get the ball and when they did, they couldn't seem to hold onto it. I'm not a "football Guy" (I've never played the game, other than in PE or kickabouts in the park) so my amateur analysis my be incorrect but:

1. When Italy won back the ball in and around their own box, they seemed to be able to retain possession and play out. England reverted to flaking it up field and loosing possession a fair bit

2. Pickford seemed to kick possession back to Italy a lot. Long kicks down field which Italy were able to retain

3. When Italy were pressing high up the pitch with 2 or even sometimes 3 players in the England half, there must have been space somewhere else but England couldn't find it.

4. When England were struggling in the second half (for the 10 minutes before the goal), Southgate didn't seem to change any system or bring on subs. It was obvious it wasn't working.

But hey, despite all that, it's more progress. Got to a final this time and took it to penalties. And Italy were a lot of peoples favourites, hadn't been beaten in over 30 games and have beaten Belgium and Spain on the way to the final.

I'd feel very positive for the "Next World Cup" if it wasn't in Quatar where, even in November, I think the head will kill England.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I don't think they should've let Italy hold the ball in midfield as much as they did in the first half, the forward players should've pushed them and let the defense (who had a brilliant game) do their job.

Personally I think the biggest mistake was the order for the penalties. Should've been the other way round, maybe have Sterling or Grealish come up instead of Saka. Being the last penalty taker was a huge amount of pressure for a young kid.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah fair point...

But going second, if they'd made it past the first 5 then every shot becomes must make. The pressure on the youngsters on shot 5, 7, 8 etc gets bigger and bigger.

In theory, had things gone different, Shot 5 would have been "Win it or continue to Sudden Death". It's only that others missed did Shot 5 become must score.

Sterling doesn't take free kicks or pens for City and Grelish isn't Villa's penalty taker (according to Gary Neville) so who knows
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm glad he didn't put Sterling on one, he seems to get a lot of unfair stick and I feel that people are desperate vilify him despite his brilliance for England. I also think it's doubtful he'd take a good pen, he's great at nipping in and scoring instinctive finishes, but he's sometimes got a bit of a spoon foot when he shoots further out.