TV - non-SKY options

tim

Re: TV - non-SKY options

Post by tim »

If you just want Sky F1 without all the other crappy kick-balling/throwing/hitting channels then you're buggered it seems
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I tried the dodgy fire stick route a few years ago, it was crap. Had to keep downloading new apps and even then it only worked half the time and the interface was really annoying.

If you enjoy sports I think Sky and Virgin are the options to look at, and probably rotate contracts on those two. The prices of NowTV looked high when I looked, but if you only want to watch the occasional sporting event you might be able to make it work.
mik

Post by mik »

You should bin your Sky subscription and simply go to all the sporting events you wish to see.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There was a way to watch F1 with F1 TV Pro - you just switched your App Store to the US version then subscribed to it from there with a VPN and you had the Sky feed for relative peanuts. Not sure if it still works.
It does suck though, Sky UK have a little over 1% of the audience but pay 25% of Libertyโ€™s tv income so no wonder they have to bundle it with a load of crap.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Never paid a penny for Sky or VM for that matter. Freeview, Netflix, Prime and the cinema. Oh, plus my mate Dan. Dan Lord. He was good at getting me stuff.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Freeview + Netflix covers all bases here.

For the odd occasion there is something else worth watching then I have to borrow someone elses' access. But that's rare.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:04 pm I tried the dodgy fire stick route a few years ago, it was crap. Had to keep downloading new apps and even then it only worked half the time and the interface was really annoying.
I had a firestick loaded with Kodi for ages, it was pretty useful but it was fiddly to update and the later versions of Kodi ran like shit on the firestick I had. I never bothered getting a new one, just started paying for my TV like a chump :lol:
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I know that some of you will have been driven to distraction by the wait for my decision on this but the wait is finally over ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

SKY can GTF for now and I've bought the 2 Chromecast with Google TV and a 6 month Netflix sub bundle. I have Amazon prime already with will add Disney+ and who knows what else. Everything else in the house is based on or around Google so I thought "why not?"

Looking forward to having a play with it. Now need viewing recommendations for Netflix/Prime/Disney+.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Virgin are expanding their network so worth double checking. If you can get in your area send me your email details.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

McSwede wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:26 pm I know that some of you will have been driven to distraction by the wait for my decision on this but the wait is finally over ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

SKY can GTF for now and I've bought the 2 Chromecast with Google TV and a 6 month Netflix sub bundle. I have Amazon prime already with will add Disney+ and who knows what else. Everything else in the house is based on or around Google so I thought "why not?"

Looking forward to having a play with it. Now need viewing recommendations for Netflix/Prime/Disney+.
Have you never watched anything on Netflix?

Thereโ€™s a section they added to Disney plus recently called star that has loads of great 80s and 90s movies. We watched Air Force One the other night.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Shlergen wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:14 pm Virgin are expanding their network so worth double checking. If you can get in your area send me your email details.
Thanks, but no virgin currently โ˜น๏ธ
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

ZedLeg wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:50 pm
McSwede wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:26 pm I know that some of you will have been driven to distraction by the wait for my decision on this but the wait is finally over ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Have you never watched anything on Netflix?

Thereโ€™s a section they added to Disney plus recently called star that has loads of great 80s and 90s movies. We watched Air Force One the other night.
I've never even looked at Netflix TBH ๐Ÿ˜‚ I've no idea what's on there.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Off the top of my head

Dark
Narcos
Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul
Annihilation
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

ZedLeg wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:35 pm Off the top of my head

Dark
Narcos
Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul
Annihilation
๐Ÿ‘
mik

Post by mik »

Add
- Ozark
- Behind Her Eyes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

More light hearted. The Good Place, Schitt's Creek, Final Space

Not really light hearted but pretty funny, Bojack Horseman, Tuca and Bertie.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Prime - The Boys, The Expanse, Clarkson's Farm, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Upload, Good Omens, Truth Seekers.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Netflix - Lupin (make sure you switch it to subtitles)
- Queens Gambit
- Afterlife
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Netflix currently has Baby Driver, great movie. Stranger Things. Scott Pilgrim is good if your into movies from comics.
Prime. Mr Robot is pretty good, there is a mini series on Le Mans from a few years ago that is okay. Tales from the loop was okay. Picard I thought was brilliantly done and refreshingly different from other Treks.