FAO Canoeists

tim

FAO Canoeists

Post by tim »

We're going Canoeing on Saturday. Neither of us have canoed before. Neither of us are very fit.

Are we going to die?

Advice welcome unless it's don't go canoeing, as we've already paid :p
Simon

Re: FAO Canoeists

Post by Simon »

Get your affairs in order first. ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

It depends whether you're going for a nice meander down a gentle steam or some white water action I would imagine! :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

Norfolk Broads - so mostly staring at reeds I imagine.

Will is up to date. (y)
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

You'll be fine. I used to kayak in my scouting days and then went again a few years ago (a break of about 25 years). I found the big sea kayak was more suited to me than the little playboats, they aren't unstable as such but they are a bitch to balance so they go straight and don't constantly veer in one direction or the other. We went on a tidal lagoon at Portsmouth, it will give you a good upper body workout and you'll be sore but stability wise as long as you aren't stupid you won't end up upside down.
mik

Post by mik »

If the location of your adventure is Shit Creek - please ensure you have all necessary equipment.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We did this as a family last year having never done it before and it was all fine - presumably if you're pitching up and hiring stuff they'll be pretty stable boats which is a good start. We did it on a nice calm river and one end of a loch - I really enjoyed it and it was very relaxing.

There's been no mention of Deliverance up to now....
Cheers,

Mike.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:48 pm If the location of your adventure is Shit Creek - please ensure you have all necessary equipment.
:lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:49 pm
There's been no mention of Deliverance up to now....
Or Southern Comfort. 8-)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Don't get pinged for speeding :lol: , there was a patrol out when we hired a little family boat in Horning enforcing the 3mph limit... We had a great day though, getting properly sunburnt for the first time in a decade in the UK. Not sure if you'll go near How Hill but that was a lovely spot to stop and wander some gardens.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Make sure to have everything valuable/electronic in watertight pouches that will float and ideally in an easily spotted colour. If keeping things in a pouch make sure they're tied to something in case you go overboard.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ve just got back into it.

Sit up, if you start leaning back you will be knackered quite quick as your range of motion is rubbish. So make an effort to sit up straight like the teacher is telling you off and you will be fine.

Dave!
tim

Post by tim »

lol thanks for the replies.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

[adenoidal voice]Are you going canoeing or kayaking becuase... you know they are not the same thing[/adenoidal voice] :lol:

Dave's point about sitting upright is the best advice - as a novice, I presume it will be some form open boat so pretty stable but if you don't lean your body left or right - keep your core vertically upright, you'll be fine.

I kayaked a load in by Uni Days including a trip to the French Alps. In my early days, I paddled a boat called a Rotobat which was designed like a Eurofighter - Unstable by design which made it incredibly agile and manoeuvrable but you couldn't sit in with without bracing or you'd be straight over. :lol:

Loved it - so many happy memories chucking myself of waterfalls on a Sunday morning
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Two person kayaking is a recipe for divorce. Two person Canadian style open canoes is a barrel of laughs. Single kayaks also an absolute riot.

Try keep your hands dry to ward off blisters.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

tim wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:25 pm Norfolk Broads - so mostly staring at reeds I imagine.

Will is up to date. (y)
Remember not to have your photo taken with a Panamanian property agent!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

If you’re in an enclosed kayak and you don’t go home with bruised knees you were doing it all wrong
tim

Post by tim »

Didn't die. Had fun. Would canoe again!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

tim wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:28 pm Didn't die. Had fun. Would canoe again!
It’s worth having lessons, only one thing I never quite mastered was self righting
Simon

Post by Simon »

tim wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:28 pm Didn't die.
Prove it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_