Twitter steals Mockdiamonds concept

V8Granite

Re: Twitter steals Mockdiamonds concept

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:11 am Considering the general context of how broccers posts in this forum it’s not a big leap to see some racism in his post.

He knew what he was saying, probably his regular weekend cry for attention.
Oh I’m not saying that’s not the way he intended it to be, only Broccers knows that. It wasn’t the way I read it though as I don’t know who the person is at all he was on about.

Considering what I do for a living if the language I used was in any way offensive I would soon be told.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

What sort of creature do you think he meant, Dave?

I’m off to the West Midlands Safari Park so that’s all from me. Wonder what sort of creatures I’ll see?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It doesn’t need to be a specific creature.

If I saw someone doing something particularly nasty like hurting someone who couldn’t defend themselves etc then I’d called them a horrible creature. It’s not specific and I don’t think the term is intended that way.

If I call someone a cunt I don’t say if they are smooth, hairy, plump or big of lip etc 😂

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 am What sort of creature do you think he meant, Dave?
If you’re off to the Safari Park then take the side road in the Lipn Enclosure, we saw some relaxed animals there and it was quite lovely.

By what creature, I presumed he meant someone spouting hatred or bike to be honest, I never thought of it more than that and had no intention to find out who the person was either.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A voice of reason.

Jobbo lad you're not blocked on Facebook I disabled my account in November.

Although you do deserve a blocking for being a massive fanny in this thread.

😀
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I thought it was pretty common to use the word "creature" for someone whose behaviour you find deplorable, genuinely didn't know it had racist connotations.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’ll be honest, neither did I :oops:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
tim

Post by tim »

Or me.

I think the pile-on was probably worse than the comment, if we're all going to be overly-woke about it. Broccers is our resident Piers Morgan, posts best read with that in mind IMO.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

V8Granite wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:54 am Generally when you want to insult someone you are demeaning them in some way though no?

Not trying to be a picky tit I genuinely see no racism in what Broccers said and I spend half my life surrounded by people of all races. If it is something that has passed me by then fair enough but I simply don’t see it.

Dave!
Yes, all insults are necessarily demeaning, but one generally chooses the insult for it's specific implications. If you call someone a prick or an arsehole, there is the general implication of mean-spirited intent. If you call someone a twat or a fanny, there is the general implication of idiocy or incompetence. If you choose an insult that has an implication of being less that full human, and you're delivering it to someone whose ethnic group has a history of being called less than human, you either mean that very specifically, or possess the kind of catastrophic insensitivity that sits at the heart of middle england casual racism.

Context is everything. If I call you a big nose twat, that's a general insult on your intelligence and appearance. If I use the same insult of a jewish person, it comes with all the baggage of 100 years of anti-semitism.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I completely understand but unless I know the history of a situation I can’t think of the worst possible outcome of things, it’s just asking for trouble and I believe just makes things worse, not better.

The idea of going through day to day life assuming the worst of people is alien to me, I just can’t think like that.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Nefarious wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:03 am
V8Granite wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:54 am Generally when you want to insult someone you are demeaning them in some way though no?

Not trying to be a picky tit I genuinely see no racism in what Broccers said and I spend half my life surrounded by people of all races. If it is something that has passed me by then fair enough but I simply don’t see it.

Dave!
Yes, all insults are necessarily demeaning, but one generally chooses the insult for it's specific implications. If you call someone a prick or an arsehole, there is the general implication of mean-spirited intent. If you call someone a twat or a fanny, there is the general implication of idiocy or incompetence. If you choose an insult that has an implication of being less that full human, and you're delivering it to someone whose ethnic group has a history of being called less than human, you either mean that very specifically, or possess the kind of catastrophic insensitivity that sits at the heart of middle england casual racism.

Context is everything. If I call you a big nose twat, that's a general insult on your intelligence and appearance. If I use the same insult of a jewish person, it comes with all the baggage of 100 years of anti-semitism.
As always, you make a very clear and valid point on this Nef.

Not sure your last point is 100% accurate though. If you call someone big nose, it doesn’t matter who you are directing the insult at, it’s the reader. If I was Jewish and you called someone else big nose, I could, quite justifiably in the current climate, think of you as using a racist slur and so, being racist. Context would appear to be gone completely
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

tim wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:57 am Or me.

I think the pile-on was probably worse than the comment, if we're all going to be overly-woke about it. Broccers is our resident Piers Morgan, posts best read with that in mind IMO.
Yeah, most of what broccers posts is bait.

I’ve said before but I stopped raising it when people say dumb shit here unless I find it particularly egregious.

Got better things to do than try and change the minds of 10 middle aged men in their echo chamber :lol:
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:36 am
Nefarious wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:03 am

Dave!

Not sure your last point is 100% accurate though. If you call someone big nose, it doesn’t matter who you are directing the insult at, it’s the reader. If I was Jewish and you called someone else big nose, I could, quite justifiably in the current climate, think of you as using a racist slur and so, being racist. Context would appear to be gone completely
Context hasn't been lost. Using a racial slur is a racial slur no matter who you're aiming it at. Whether the target belongs to that group or not, there is an association as you're either using the slur "as intended" (pointing out a relationship to a group as a way to demean/insult/dominate/invalidate their humanity) or trying to achieve the same by associating someone otherwise unrelated with that group.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

dinny_g wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:36 am

Ok, try this for a better example:
Call a child a "cheeky monkey" = perfectly acceptable
Call a black person a monkey = in no way acceptable
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

But no, I don’t believe you’re right with that example. my understanding of today is if a black person takes offence at you calling, let’s for argument sake, say a small white child a cheeky monkey then it’s offensive and the more you try to explain yourself, the more you’ll be accused of being racist, not understanding etc by the black person who took offence.

FWIW - Cheeky monkey is on the list of expressions I no longer use, just in case
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 pm But no, I don’t believe you’re right with that example. my understanding of today is if a black person takes offence at you calling, let’s for argument sake, say a small white child a cheeky monkey then it’s offensive and the more you try to explain yourself, the more you’ll be accused of being racist, not understanding etc by the black person who took offence.

FWIW - Cheeky monkey is on the list of expressions I no longer use, just in case
Daddy Gorilla
Maxwell - Monkey 1
Connor - Monkey 2
Their black friend On sleepovers - Monkey 3

Neither the boys or his parents have ever uttered a word about it.

Would I say it to someone who’s parents I don’t know though, I think I’d be too worried they would take offence, which is a sad state of affairs.

Dave!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

dinny_g wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 pm But no, I don’t believe you’re right with that example. my understanding of today is if a black person takes offence at you calling, let’s for argument sake, say a small white child a cheeky monkey then it’s offensive and the more you try to explain yourself, the more you’ll be accused of being racist, not understanding etc by the black person who took offence.

I guess we all draw our line in different places. At least we all agree that Broccers is a twat.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nefarious wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:12 pm

I guess we all draw our line in different places. At least we all agree that Broccers is a twat.
No just some of you. But the feelings mutal.

Those that hunt in numbers are weak.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I didn’t really see a pile on, just Broccers’ usual haphazard thrashing about when called out. For a self- confessed troll I don’t think you did a very good job this time, Broccers.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 pm I didn’t really see a pile on, just Broccers’ usual haphazard thrashing about when called out. For a self- confessed troll I don’t think you did a very good job this time, Broccers.
No problems. Till next time you get offended by fuck all.

Toodle.