Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by jamcg »

George got the loudest cheers of all the drivers, he’s got a lot of fans
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That must have been a hell of a lap from Lewis combined with a very well timed tow. The rules are a bit weird, there's a practice session tomorrow but the cars are in park ferme so teams can't experiment with any new set ups so what's the point?
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:45 pm That must have been a hell of a lap from Lewis combined with a very well timed tow. The rules are a bit weird, there's a practice session tomorrow but the cars are in park ferme so teams can't experiment with any new set ups so what's the point?
Suspension and brakes are exempt and can be adjusted
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:37 pm F1 made a full size mock up of next years ground effect concept car. Oddly late considering most teams are well into their design for next years cars already.

5% heavier but way stronger in crash tests.
It just looks like a Champ/Indie car to my eyes
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

DaveE wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:50 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:37 pm F1 made a full size mock up of next years ground effect concept car. Oddly late considering most teams are well into their design for next years cars already.

5% heavier but way stronger in crash tests.
It just looks like a Champ/Indie car to my eyes
This is just f1’s own interpretation of the rules. I’m holding out judgement until I see what the teams come up with
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Whens the sprint race today - sounds very excting.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'm not sure what they're expecting with a short race, no no one will have any method to go any faster/do any more overtakes than they normally would - everyone will be on softs with just enough fuel to finish - in fact, without pit strategy, surely it has more chance of being a procession?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:33 am I'm not sure what they're expecting with a short race, no no one will have any method to go any faster/do any more overtakes than they normally would - everyone will be on softs with just enough fuel to finish - in fact, without pit strategy, surely it has more chance of being a procession?
Silverstone does have some decent overtaking places- drs helps down hanger straight into Stowe, if you can get a better drive through and out of copse there’s a risky overtake before maggots/beckets that can either force someone to give up and back off or come together.

You’ve got the likes of stroll/tsunoda/gasley all lower than they would have wanted, who are likely to give it everything. The front might be a bit “2nd will do” but if max doesn’t get a great start I can’t see him settling.

As you say there’s no pit strategy so there’s no saving tyres waiting for an under/overcut

Hopefully it’ll turn out great but I won’t be surprised to see a train develop 🚂🚋🚋🚋🚋🚋🚋🚋🚋🚋
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think they should have awarded more points for it, maybe 8 for first going down a point at a time until P8.
Bit odd having a sprint race which is 1/3 the distance of a real race but with 1/8 of the points. Usually the midfield is where most the action happens so at least give them a chance something.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Broccers wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:24 am Whens the sprint race today - sounds very excting.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

If it doesn't mix it up (other than accidents) then is it worth it? It didn't really mix the field up too much.

I am all for some change tbf, the races are often a train of cars, other than the odd spinner coming back through or grid penalty make up but the regs changes for next year should hopefully sort the disparity front to back and allow for closer racing with several teams fighting for wins.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Glad I’m not there with this heat this weekend!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm kind of looking forward to it, the best racing is usually in the first lap or two, so to have two sets of that has to be a good thing. It will be a big advantage for the great starters like Alonso and Kimi.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:28 pm Glad I’m not there with this heat this weekend!
It’s a tad warm!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:39 pm I'm kind of looking forward to it, the best racing is usually in the first lap or two, so to have two sets of that has to be a good thing. It will be a big advantage for the great starters like Alonso and Kimi.
I’m in agreement with this and now think sprint quali should be a 5 lap sprint an hour before the race. Because it’s just a procession after that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The cynic in me says that Liberty Media needed to fill that red hole in their bank balance and sold out some Sprint races to Crypto.com now :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

They need to introduce some kind of special sprint race tyre if they intend on doing this more- all the grip of the softest compound but can actually last a handful of laps, not even the medium could hack it, and it’s the second hardest compound that Pirelli currently supply
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

That didn't really work did it...